Puppy Advice

Currently reading:
Puppy Advice

thanks for that, but how does just putting him in the crate house train him?

he went out again before, thought hed done his lot but came in and wee'd in the living room, may have brough him in too soon, couldnt see well enough to see if he'd done his wee.

i'm just getting overloaded and confused with so many different techniques of getting him to go out for the toilet.

i don't know which to use and where to start my heads in bits :bang:

no the crate doesn't house train the dog, your right to be confused there's millions of ways to look after a dog, and everyone has different ideas.

as for your room at night, take him out every hour or two before you go to bed. make sure he does something before going to bed. the dog shouldn't (doesn't want to) wee in there own bed, but being a pup they might, due to a small bladder etc.

no the crate doesn't house train the dog, your right to be confused there's millions of ways to look after a dog, and everyone has different ideas.

as for your room at night, take him out every hour or two before you go to bed. make sure he does something before going to bed. the dog shouldn't (doesn't want to) wee in there own bed, but being a pup they might, due to a small bladder etc.

ah right, so if he's locked in the cage (if i get him used to it and to stop him screeching) how does he do his toilet duties un prompted?

ah right, so if he's locked in the cage (if i get him used to it and to stop him screeching) how does he do his toilet duties un prompted?

bit difficult... lol. you just have to have a lot of patience! when he goes out say a word, can be anything but always has to be the same. then use it when he does go, and say it when you want him to go. he'll eventually work out what's being asked of him.

or do you mean how do you mean when he's actually locked in his cage? you just have to get him used to it, make sure he goes before, and as soon as he's let out.

other good times to take the dog out to the garden is;

immediately after meals!
meeting new people (excitement)
after playing

probably a few more but can't think of much right now. too tired :( good luck(y)

bit difficult... lol. you just have to have a lot of patience! when he goes out say a word, can be anything but always has to be the same. then use it when he does go, and say it when you want him to go. he'll eventually work out what's being asked of him.

or do you mean how do you mean when he's actually locked in his cage? you just have to get him used to it, make sure he goes before, and as soon as he's let out.

other good times to take the dog out to the garden is;

immediately after meals!
meeting new people (excitement)
after playing

probably a few more but can't think of much right now. too tired :( good luck(y)

yeah, like when he's in his cage asleep or whatever, how can i get him to decide to go outside, i know i should ignore him crying to be out the cage, but he may also need the toilet.

my heads absoloutly done in, he's never let me have more than an hours sleep at a time.

just want him to know he needs to go out to do his toilet stuff :(

yeah, like when he's in his cage asleep or whatever, how can i get him to decide to go outside, i know i should ignore him crying to be out the cage, but he may also need the toilet.

my heads absoloutly done in, he's never let me have more than an hours sleep at a time.

just want him to know he needs to go out to do his toilet stuff :(
Personally I'd never put a dog in a cage :) I also think that when you first get a puppy you should let him get used to you and your surroundings before he starts to sleep on his own. Our dogs have always slept in a box in a bedroom for the first few nights before then going to sleep in the laundry and then outside (my parents are in Australia and the weather is good enough for dogs to sleep outside). Just remember you've got a baby dog, you wouldn't expect a baby to just sleep on it's own without waking up in the night and needing comforting for a while. It'll pass though.

yeah i keep hearing people get them as aggressive dogs, and make them all mean and bity.. but Simba is a big fluffy puppy dog!

do you think it's worth getting a cage / bed for him to sleep in.

akitas can be dangerous... depends whether they're kept as a pet or a weapon:shrug: it's up to you how your dog turns. he obviously has the genetics of a jap fighting dog .... turning a shot gun into a water pistol or something of that kinda analogy :chin:

it's up to you, a lot of friends have cages for their dogs i don't but mine a very good in the house (apart from the destuffing of toys and when i get home larry runs around with the fire glove:rolleyes:) even when left.

i used to be very sceptical of cages but i've learnt to see them as "dens" for the dog to have some space.

when he does something naughty it was said to lock him in the cage and ignore him. he squeals so much i think the next door neighbor might hear and we live in a detatched house!

it was also said to put him in there with the door open so he can use it like a den, so how am i supposed to teach him not to do 'bad' things this way?

he's squealing so loud now when he wants to do something.. so what do i do?

oh and if he does something bad like bite me or something else, if i ignore him, he doesn't care, he'l either do it again or do something else

millions of conflicting advice - i wouldn't think of putting a dog in cage as punishment. ignoring him is high punishment as dogs are pack animlas and thrive on interaction.

if he bites, say no firmly and then move him away from you - say if you were sat on the sofa you'd put him back on the floor.

the best way to make a dog behave is to make sure they get plenty of exercise, however don't do too much when they're a pup as it can damage bones/joints which are still soft! if my dog doesn't get enough exercise he'll be naughty, stealing slippers/shoes and wanting to be chased and generally do things to annoy you don't forget that even though they're small dogs jack russells still need plenty of exercise! try games like hiding small treats and finding them etc.

also to make vet trips easier make sure you can handle the dog, lift it's legs up, look in it's ears, look down it's throat don't be harsh just get it used to things like this so it won't be a big ordeal when it's older!

:yeahthat: a good dog is a tired dog. while he's still growing you can do more mental agility type stuff. like teaching him new commands and how to search for toys etc.

thanks for that, but how does just putting him in the crate house train him?

he went out again before, thought hed done his lot but came in and wee'd in the living room, may have brough him in too soon, couldnt see well enough to see if he'd done his wee.

i'm just getting overloaded and confused with so many different techniques of getting him to go out for the toilet.

i don't know which to use and where to start my heads in bits :bang:

:hug:

he wont want to toilet where he sleeps - thats the theory.

just patience. gonna be a lot more accidents before he gets it right :shrug::eek:

as for sleeping through the night - he was quite young. he'll be missing his litter mates still. normally pups go to new homes 8 weeks onwards.

you've still got 10month - 18month old period to get through - equivalant of teenagers :nerner: sadly this is when most dogs get dumped at rescues as they owners cant cope with their dog pushing the boundaries etc. again consistancy and routine will be your saving grace.

thanks again for the advice :)

i've put the cage up in my room with the towel he likes and his bowl of water and doggy bed, he wouldn't go in at first, but i kept putting him and saying BED! he eventualy seemed to get it, i was in bed watching him (2am!) get half out, jump out and firmly say BED and he'd get back in and snuggle up, so i gave him good praise for a good few mins, this went on a few times.

he still had a couple of accidents in the night, but again my rooms laminite i think? lol anyway i caught him at 4 am doing it and immiediately took him outside, i've been forgetting to say a 'word' that he can associate with going outside.

he did keep getting up and yelping at me in bed as i couldnt close the cage door, im getting his used to his cage before i close it(y)

suppose as said sbove he's young and just misses his mother and brothers and sisters.

all i'm doing when he yelps at my bed, just pick him up and say the BED thing again till he settles.

sorry about all of these questions and stuff but i'd have been seriously screwed without all of this advice and help. so thanks everyone who has helped!

i can now tell larry to go to bed.... and he goes full speed. it's a good word to teach them as it get them from under your feet if you're busy with something.

if i tell tesse to go to bed she just looks really hurt and puts a her "puppy ears" on... she knows how to play me:eek:

i can now tell larry to go to bed.... and he goes full speed. it's a good word to teach them as it get them from under your feet if you're busy with something.

if i tell tesse to go to bed she just looks really hurt and puts a her "puppy ears" on... she knows how to play me:eek:

can't wait till he's like that. he sleeps so much, i thought he'd eat lots but he doesn't seem too

my mates greyhounds have a sulk if made to do more than 2 20minute walks a day as it interferes with their beauty sleep. and god foprbid if you ask them to go out when it's wet/too cold/too hot/too dry :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

what are you feeding him?

well today has been great, i've gotten him happy in the cage both locked and unlocked, left him for near 2 hours and he was fine the whole time, he even went in himself, i set an old phone recording sounds to see if he screemed, he didn't (y)

came back and he looked at me, didn't make a sound, let him out and off he marched to the back door for a wee, had a good run round in the garden with him and put him to sleep in the cage unlocked, he was there an hour or so, i was in the garden and heard him at the kitchen door, wanting a lift down the step, had a wee straight away!! (y)(y):cool:

We've had 4 dogs, with 1 of them from 8 weeks, one from birth and one from 12 months. With both the very young ones they were given a tap on the nose if they were doing something wrong. They both grew up to be great, fun, well disciplined dogs, yet never lost their "spark".

One of the first 3 came into our house at the age of about 12 months and was really badly behaved. He was a rescue dog and had been really badly treated. Remarkably, he was a really friendly animal and wanted to be everybody's mate. We couldn't, however, really trust him with other dogs as he was unpredictable, a trait we later found out was typical of dogs who had been badly treated.

One thing to remember about Jack Russels, is that they are really good ratters and as such can, by instinct attack small wriggling things, so be careful with him around babies.

As for toilet training, we were advised to simply tell them off and carry them to the back door and put them on a piece of newpaper. The next stage being to put him/her outside. This seemed to work very well and it wasn't long before they would go to the back door themselves.

One of the best ways to train a dog is by using an older animal as an example. Our first dog, Carly was a Belgian Shepherd/Border Collie cross and as such was a doddle to train. Then came Digby, aka The Most Hideous Dog in the World. He was partly trained and later they had pups, of which we kept one; Ringo. He was easy to train as he just did what his Mum did. Result.

Last edited:
well today has been great, i've gotten him happy in the cage both locked and unlocked, left him for near 2 hours and he was fine the whole time, he even went in himself, i set an old phone recording sounds to see if he screemed, he didn't (y)

came back and he looked at me, didn't make a sound, let him out and off he marched to the back door for a wee, had a good run round in the garden with him and put him to sleep in the cage unlocked, he was there an hour or so, i was in the garden and heard him at the kitchen door, wanting a lift down the step, had a wee straight away!! (y)(y):cool:

sounds like a good day was had by all(y)

now post pics or GTFO:mad::D

sounds like a good day was had by all(y)

now post pics or GTFO:mad::D

hehe, i've had him up near berwik today this weekend at my parents caravan with a few mates for my birthday, he was fine, 2 accidents but every other time he went outside, seems to be sleeping better too!

also, he seems ok in his cage, he had a cry on for a few mins today but accepted it and went to sleep after he'd given up.

pics tommorow :D

Back