Puppy Advice

Currently reading:
Puppy Advice

Hey

Anything you want to know just ask ... I've got 10 years experience with JRT's my 3 year old is succeeding as an agility dog (was competing today and came away with a 1st and 3rd!).

I know the tricks of their trade and trust me they have them... they are terriers! Ideally you need to be experienced with "normal" dogs before having a terrier!!!!! X(y)

:yeahthat:

JRT's make great dogs but you need to be firm with them. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile! Only resort to physical punishment as a last resort, if at all. Train them well and they'll be loyal and a very characterful companion.

I still miss my JRT that we had to put to sleep in 2006 :(

Just takes time with the house training! I had newspaper everywhere, every couple of days reduce the amount of newspaper. Lots of praise for pee and poop outside. Once finished playing games take him outside straight away to pee. When you've left him first thing to do it let him outside. Naturally excitement makes them pee so encourage it outside. If he has ne accidents inside make sure you clean it up PROPERLY if they can smell they have been somewhere before they will continuously go in the same spot and think its ok.

With the play biting, just a short sharp "no" and encourage to use a toy instead for playing!

Just takes time with the house training! I had newspaper everywhere, every couple of days reduce the amount of newspaper. Lots of praise for pee and poop outside. Once finished playing games take him outside straight away to pee. When you've left him first thing to do it let him outside. Naturally excitement makes them pee so encourage it outside. If he has ne accidents inside make sure you clean it up PROPERLY if they can smell they have been somewhere before they will continuously go in the same spot and think its ok.

With the play biting, just a short sharp "no" and encourage to use a toy instead for playing!

sorry, forgot to say thanks for that!

might take a while with the biting thing, he seems fond of it.

on the whole we're getting on well, he likes his cage, house training is improving, and he learn 'SIT' very quickly and does it first time now

DSC01662.JPG

Your new Jack Russell puppy Alfie is adorable. Please make sure his cage is large enough for him to both stand up in and turn around comfortably. The cage should be placed in an area away from drafts. You also may want to consider enrolling him in a puppy class to socialize him early to people and other dogs. I am surprised that you obtained him at only 6 weeks. Many breeders wait until 8 - 9 weeks before giving a puppy to his new owner. Anyway, he looks very healthy and happy. You have a real winner!

Your new Jack Russell puppy Alfie is adorable. Please make sure his cage is large enough for him to both stand up in and turn around comfortably. The cage should be placed in an area away from drafts. You also may want to consider enrolling him in a puppy class to socialize him early to people and other dogs. I am surprised that you obtained him at only 6 weeks. Many breeders wait until 8 - 9 weeks before giving a puppy to his new owner. Anyway, he looks very healthy and happy. You have a real winner!

thanks, yeah his cage his big enough for him and then some, was checked at vets while getting 2nd injections and the vet said he was in good shape

as for the 'penile pruning' the way he jumps around it could go very wrong, would save on castration costs at the vets :D

I don't think he knows what a video camera is. He probably thinks his dad's being consumed by a hideous facial growth.

Back