Advice on "eliminating" blue and me unit.

Currently reading:
Advice on "eliminating" blue and me unit.

Ok folks, apologies first. I know there are threads specifically addressing B&M problems but I thought I'd post here with a new post in the hope that someone can advise me on specifically what I need to do here as I'm always nervous about doing stuff to ECUs.

Well, No1 son's 2012 Punto with 1.4 8 valve VVT engine has been experiencing parasitic drain from it's battery for some time now, several months in fact. The battery was brand new about a year ago and was tested just a couple of weeks ago with a "proper" Battery condition analyser which gave it a clean bill of health. If used daily - 20 minute journey to work and back - it's fine but if left for a couple of days or more the battery discharges too much to start the car. A couple of hours on a smart charger and it's fine again. He doesn't use the bluetooth but the mileage indicator is flashing. I'm pretty certain that it's the B&M unit that's stuffed. We were waiting until it had been MOTd before deciding what to do and it passed it's MOT today without even an advisory!

Because he doesn't use the Bluetooth and isn't bothered by the flashing milometer I'm wondering if we can simply pull the plug on the B&M module and just leave it dangling? The car is only his "get to work car" He has a much newer Kia Rio for family transport so the Punto doesn't have to be "perfect" If this course of action is acceptable can anyone advise, step by step, how to go about it? I think the module is in the dashboard above the glovebox? but how do I access it and what plug do I pull? and, having done that, will the car be "happy" to run indefinitely with the plug pulled? I'd like to sort this out as the battery is bound to be suffering from being constantly in a poor state of charge.

Can't speak for the Punto, but thats exactly what I did with the Panda, just disconnected it and left it in situ.

No issues whilst I waited a couple of days to do my proxi alignment, then the odometer remained solid.

Open the glove box, I forget if it’s one or two screws to release its cage from the top (above) the glove box pull the cage out, unplug the blue and me unit, deposit in the bin.

If you’ve got MES then you can do a proxi alignment to stop the mileage flashing. The radio should continue to work as a radio but the steering wheel buttons may stop working

Can't speak for the Punto, but thats exactly what I did with the Panda, just disconnected it and left it in situ.

No issues whilst I waited a couple of days to do my proxi alignment, then the odometer remained solid.
Open the glove box, I forget if it’s one or two screws to release its cage from the top (above) the glove box pull the cage out, unplug the blue and me unit, deposit in the bin.

If you’ve got MES then you can do a proxi alignment to stop the mileage flashing. The radio should continue to work as a radio but the steering wheel buttons may stop working
Thanks a bunch guys. So it's really that simple? Great! I do have an older version of MES but I've never done a proxy alignment (never had the need) and, if truth be told, I'm slightly "scared" to do it because I've read that if it goes wrong you can end up with an undriveable car? He's not bothered by the flashing mileage figures so if leaving it like that doesn't do any harm I think I may chicken out and leave it alone after I've unplugged it? The MOT guy wasn't worried by it. Whatever I end up doing it'll be interesting to see if it solves the parasitic drain problem - I'm expecting it will.

Fingers crossed it will sort the drain, I've only done a couple of proxi-alignments in the past and not had any issues, if you weren't so far from me, I'd offer to perform it for you
Thanks, that's a kind offer. In fact we'll be down your way in the not too distant future - Daughter lives just outside Salisbury - but we'll be in the Skoda so that's not much good! I know it's recommended to do a data save before doing a proxy alignment so you can just reload the saved info if it all goes pear shaped, but I have no idea how to do any of that which is mainly why I'm worried at the prospect of doing the alignment procedure.

Back