Pay Cuts for Fat Police Officers.

Currently reading:
Pay Cuts for Fat Police Officers.

At the end of the day that's the career path you've choose. If you don't like the pay and conditions etc and can earn more in the private sector it's a "no-brainer", although in reality you probably would be earning less in the private sector when you count your pension! Theres no shortage of people wanting to sign up.

Complaining about pay and conditions you agreed too when taking the job and is a bit counterintuitive and demonstrates whats wrong with a lot of the public sector.

It is the career path ive chosen and i take my duties very seriously.
That said i am not being paid according to the pay and conditions i signed up to and soon they will change for the worse without me having any say in them.
You are correct that a lot of people would sign up to take my job but thats not really solving anything is it, would you propose replacing experienced trained officers with new starters on a regular basis? How much would that cost the taxpayer?

And I also share experience working in both. And yes although I earn more in the private sector now than I ever did in the public sector the benefits / perks being in the public sector often more than made up for it. Free life cover, pension, discounted car insurance, discounted mortgage rates, first time buyer aid for 'key workers' the list is endless.

What did you do in the public sector, as i might apply for it!;) For info incase you werent aware, any officer who has joined within the last 15 years or so gets their wage, minus pension, end. All the perks went years ago for those not already receiving them.

I left to go back to the Private sector because I was bored, there was litterally no work. I'm currently doing on my own what 4-5 people where employed to do in the public sector.

Sounds like you must have worked for a council :p
I work on a team where 4 covers an area where 6 is regarded the emergency minimum day in day out. Im very busy but id rather be like that than the other way round

to make it fair then we should half the police wage and give it to soldiers then, there job has more chance of them coming home with limbs missing, messed up brain or just arriving back in a box

I dont know about halving police wages but anyone up for increasing soldiers wages gets my vote, both the armed forces and emergency services in this country are paid a lot less than their counterparts in most western countries.

Having worked with the police and still involved with them now, I think it is easy to be critical of police wages, benefits etc. I can tell you I would never do it for the money they get, the impact on your life etc from a front line job is for many (and their families) is quite a sacrifice.

Try dealing with the type of things they see and the people you deal with, it's not all speeding tickets, pub brawls etc.

I agree the army is underpaid, but it's the danger money which needs to be increased while on deployment.

As a serving frontline police officer i have no problem with a fitness test, however it needs set up similar to the army tests, with extra time etc allowed for older officers.

I’m having a problem with your `thinking.’
How low do you want the beep test pass bar lowered for the police?
5.4 is `poor’ (<5.0 is `very poor’).
To then ask for “extra time” would not bring police fitness closer to HM Forces - but further away.

I’m having a problem with your `thinking.’
How low do you want the beep test pass bar lowered for the police?
5.4 is `poor’ (<5.0 is `very poor’).
To then ask for “extra time” would not bring police fitness closer to HM Forces - but further away.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I would increase the basic fitness standards, then reduce it in stages for older officers, as with the army PFT.

I think a more in depth fitness test would be a good thing also, in my experience foot chases are very rare, having to detain violent drunken or mentally ill people is a sometimes daily event so just focusing on running isnt giving a true reflection of someones ability to do the job

Back