Pay Cuts for Fat Police Officers.

Currently reading:
Pay Cuts for Fat Police Officers.

"I think the public will be surprised that after passing a fitness test at the point of entry, except in special units like firearms, physical fitness is not tested again in a 30, 35-year career.” Tom Winsor

I think the public are not at all surprised.

The Berlin Wall may have fallen – but I suspect the Fat Blue Wall will be resistant to change for some time yet.

My understanding is a police constables pay is around £32K(±5) – it is argued some are on pay equivalent to a captain in HM forces.

The focus on £23K is about spreading `misinformation’ – where is this Pc on £23K?

"I think the public will be surprised that after passing a fitness test at the point of entry, except in special units like firearms, physical fitness is not tested again in a 30, 35-year career.” Tom Winsor

I think the public are not at all surprised.

The Berlin Wall may have fallen – but I suspect the Fat Blue Wall will be resistant to change for some time yet.

My understanding is a police constables pay is around £32K(±5) – it is argued some are on pay equivalent to a captain in HM forces.

The focus on £23K is about spreading `misinformation’ – where is this Pc on £23K?

On appointment £ 23,259 per annum
After satisfactory completion of 31 weeks £ 25,962 per annum
After successful completion of two year Probationary Period £ 27,471 per annum
Rising by annual increments to £ 36,519 per annum
Police Salaries are paid on the 15th day of each month.

Thanks for the supporting information

Clearly the £23K level refers to a recruit/probationer/ActingPc within a 31 week time-frame - & confirmation that the level for a full-rank Pc is £32K(±4.5)

I say that's fair as a starting wage tbh (everywhere except London). I heard (from Step dad in law ex-police dog handler) it can take upto 2years to get fully up to speed with everything.

As with all public sector it usually rises year on year until your on top pay scale, unless you do something stupid of course.

I doubt you ever really learn everything, bound to be something that you've never come across.

I think £23k is a nice wage at 22, would I think that at 32? 42? Doubt it.

All cops in GMP have to undergo Officer Safety Training every year, as do PCSOs and although it's not running a mile, it can have its drawbacks. One PCSO was pushed into a wall while doing breakaway and restraint cracking two ribs and giving him internal bleeding. A bobby ended tearing his achilles tendon. Both these men needed time off work, the one with the ribs was off for a couple of weeks and achilles tendon man for two to three months.

It's arguable that those who have to be the fittest are the dog handlers who have to be able to keep up with a GSD.

Fitness can be important, but I can't remember the last time any of our Sub Division had to run more than a couple of hundred yards. Obesity is a definite no-no, although we had one chap who's since retired and he was enormous. He'd been a champion power lifter and after he stopped competing had difficulty keeping the weight off. Having said that he was always broader across the shoulders than he was front to back. He was once called to a multi storey car park after reports that two youths had broken into a car. As the lift doors opened he realised the two suspects were in the lift. He had no difficulty keeping them inside the lift. He just stood in the doorway. He was very intimidating and when he was in Tactical Aid Group he'd go into pub fights on his own, tell them to pack it in and get in the van. It was very rare when they didn't comply.

I'd be more concerned about Cops who get the same shift pay and other allowances but work in the Press Office or Equalities Monitoring or some other non Policing role. Should they get the same dosh? Don't think so personally.

I'd be more concerned about Cops who get the same shift pay and other allowances but work in the Press Office or Equalities Monitoring or some other non Policing role. Should they get the same dosh? Don't think so personally.

are those available to all officers?

or is it the type of role or those who cant do the real job?

As a serving frontline police officer i have no problem with a fitness test, however it needs set up similar to the army tests, with extra time etc allowed for older officers.

Anything otherwise and the government will be falling foul of age discrimination legislation for a start.

Comparisons between the army and police pay wise usually miss out the fact that the army pay nothing into their pension. Police officers pay between 9-11% depending when they joined.

IMO neither the police or armed forces (well the army, the others are cushty ;)) are paid enough.

Comparisons between the army and police pay wise usually miss out the fact that the army pay nothing into their pension. Police officers pay between 9-11% depending when they joined.

IMO neither the police or armed forces (well the army, the others are cushty ;)) are paid enough.

Tell that to the rest of the public who work in the private sector and see what reaction you get ;).

Thank yourself lucky you have someone else adding to your pension.

Thank yourself lucky you have someone else adding to your pension.

I do, however we also pay significantly more than any other public sector worker or most private sector worker into our pensions.
s
I have worked in the private sector, and at no point did any one every try to stab me, run me over or cause me any other serious harm. Im not complaining about these things happening but i would like to be paid fairly for doing the job.

I was paid more in previous private sector employment than i am now and i had the right to strike if i didnt like something my employer did and had zero restrictions on my private life. The two just arent comparable.

Having experience of working with local authorities and other government agencies i think the frustrations of private sector workers should be directed towards them rather than emergency services as in my experience the stereotype council worker isnt far from the truth in most cases ;)

Last edited:
but surely thats a given,since the existing entrance exam does that?

The intial fitness test i did was easy and one size fits all, level 5.4 bleep test and 35kg push/pull test (from memory). I have never been asked to do this since.

The only annual fitness test i have to do is for PSU (public order) training, which is an additional duty i volunteer for, this test would also be considered easy for a person of average to reasonable fitness.

I do, however we also pay significantly more than any other public sector worker or most private sector worker into our pensions.
s
I have worked in the private sector, and at no point did any one every try to stab me, run me over or cause me any other serious harm. Im not complaining about these things happening but i would like to be paid fairly for doing the job.

I was paid more in previous private sector employment than i am now and i had the right to strike if i didnt like something my employer did and had zero restrictions on my private life. The two just arent comparable.

Having experience of working with local authorities and other government agencies i think the frustrations of private sector workers should be directed towards them rather than emergency services as in my experience the stereotype council worker isnt far from the truth in most cases ;)

At the end of the day that's the career path you've choose. If you don't like the pay and conditions etc and can earn more in the private sector it's a "no-brainer", although in reality you probably would be earning less in the private sector when you count your pension! Theres no shortage of people wanting to sign up.

Complaining about pay and conditions you agreed too when taking the job and is a bit counterintuitive and demonstrates whats wrong with a lot of the public sector.

And I also share experience working in both. And yes although I earn more in the private sector now than I ever did in the public sector the benefits / perks being in the public sector often more than made up for it. Free life cover, pension, discounted car insurance, discounted mortgage rates, first time buyer aid for 'key workers' the list is endless.

I left to go back to the Private sector because I was bored, there was litterally no work. I'm currently doing on my own what 4-5 people where employed to do in the public sector.

Last edited:
Back