Pay Cuts for Fat Police Officers.

Currently reading:
Pay Cuts for Fat Police Officers.

overweight-police_2168435b.jpg

All police officers should be made to take an annual fitness test, with a pay cut for those who repeatedly fail.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...der-plans-to-rid-service-of-fat-officers.html

I've seen it a few times in Wolves town center.

Overweight officers gasping for breath while a couple of 15 year olds run around them laughing.

Its a physical job, if your not capable of doing it why should you be paid the same as someone who can and has to do all the runing?

I feel the fitness test needs changing. Its **** easy in England and Wales. Level 5.4 on the bleep test, and push/pull 34kg/35kg.

Scotland on the other hand, 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes, push/pull around 70kg. Believe you also get tested during your probation, unlike down here. Although we have a fitness test during our personal safety refresher once a year, but I only know of one person who failed.

That said, with all the kit (stab vest, cuffs/spray/baton, radio) its bloody hard to run, plus boots that you wear, pretty much anyone in a pair of trainers has an advantage already.

I'm classed as overweight, verging on obese if you go by BMI, yet I can run a reasonable distance in a reasonable time (3 miles in 30 minutes), my best mile time is 8:20 or something, not bad for someone 16 stoneish.

TBH given the type of job and expectations
an annual fitness test should have been in place already
though I would say there should be a soft introduction,given it would be a new policy
I think at least 18 months from 1st test to meet targets (for existing officers)
new recruits would be under the 6 months criteria from 1st test.
however I also saw the want to drop the starting wage to around £19k
pretty poor wages for the job IMO

I say that's fair as a starting wage tbh (everywhere except London). I heard (from Step dad in law ex-police dog handler) it can take upto 2years to get fully up to speed with everything.

As with all public sector it usually rises year on year until your on top pay scale, unless you do something stupid of course.

I say that's fair as a starting wage tbh (everywhere except London). I heard (from Step dad in law ex-police dog handler) it can take upto 2years to get fully up to speed with everything.

As with all public sector it usually rises year on year until your on top pay scale, unless you do something stupid of course.

yes,but I think (for example) the risk factors involved merit a higher starting wage IMO

yes,but I think (for example) the risk factors involved merit a higher starting wage IMO

I suppose it's like pretty much any other public sector job - as soon as there's a recruitment shortfall, the starting wage/benefits are increased, but as soon as there's a surplus, wages and benefits are reduced. But I definitely agree that 19K is not nearly enough given the nature of the work and the commitment required.

Back