Technical unknown electrical connector

Currently reading:
Technical unknown electrical connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all my first post so hopefully someone can advise me

i am trying to connect a reversing camera to my fiat panda 2007, I have threaded the wire from the head unit to the boot and made a bracket to fit the camera to, now all i have to do is to wire it up!
researching your forum it appears that i need to connect into the grey wire going to the rear light cluster?
however when poking the wire up into the boot i noticed this strange electrical connector hidden behind the rear bumper!

20230516_151011.jpg

does anyone know what it may be used for?
I was thinking that it may be a factory fitted connector for a towing bar?
if so can i use this grey wire ?
will it be connected to the reversing light"!

In the EU the trailers' socket have 7 or 13 pins. The difference is that the 7 pin sockets are used on light (GVW < 750 kg) trailers only and they do not have reversing light. Only 13 pin sockets have it. As far as I can see on the photo, your connector is a 6 pin one. So it's rather not a towing bar connector. Could be for parking sensors.

Last edited:
Yep looks like the parking sensor

If you had a parking sensor control unit installed it might have been useful. As there's nothing plugged in I suspect it will be missing and the wires totally dead, always worth I quick check with a multi meter though, sorry but looks like a dead end

The reversing cable does not have any joins or breaks, the only option is to splice to it

As others have stated it does look like the plug for parking sensors, this plugs into another wiring loom that goes out to the 4 rear sensors hence 5 wires, 4 sensors and a common ground. The thing is, without there being a a parking sensor ECU in place these wires will likely be dead and non of them would be a reversing wire so no good for your purpose.

The connection is for a Panda OEM towbar electrical connections. I cut mine to connect it to a universal tow bar electrical box as each cable is the signal / trigger for lhs side, stop, indicator, rhs side, stop, indicator, and reverse light. These are required so a trailer lights can mimic the car lights (i.e. like parking lights each side) without overloading the relevant circuits and/or the canbus light checks. Direct connection to a Panda wiring loop will result in that circuit being sensed as an overload and the car computer disabling same.

When wireing in a trailer socket, the interface plus a second constant supply is required.

thank you for your reply
i Have taken a feed from the reversing light (Grey Wire ) in the rear light cluster to power my reversing camera
Even that low current device (camera) is changing what is know as the resistance across the circuit of the reverse light as it is also suppling the positive to the camera also. This will damage the 'Body Computer'. i.e., a bulb 12v4w has a normal off resistance of 41 ohm and an on resistance of 410 ohm. The sense circuit paralel this with another resistor to create a voltage divider circuit to switch a transistor at 0.7v difference. Due to this, if one changes the load or resistance of the circuit, the voltage at the transistor can jump to much higher than what it is rated for - as a result, the transitor will short / overload on use / time bulb blows. Since this transistor is one of a few in an IC, the IC blows and the 'Body Computer' fails. Not that the replacement body computer is expensive, its actual location is bolted to the inside of the firewall behind the steering column and console. As a result, to replace it (not that I have) requires removing the complete dash to get to it.

What I suggest is that you, with a multimeter, (set to 20v DC, one lead to chassis, other to the tags) figure out the correct wire on the aforementioned multiplug for reverse, and either use that, or add a toebar intermediatary box to trigger the reverse.

It is never a good idea to cut into OEM car wiring.

Last edited:
I have no idea what happening here

The original poster posted this 6 pin connector

Screenshot_20230819_001433.jpg

Which lines up well with this

Screenshot_20230818_234519.jpg

The 6 pin parking sensor

The 169 never had a towbar connector in the UK as far as I know

There is no break in the reversing circuit
As shown here

Screenshot_20230819_003324.jpg

There's no connector to use the only option is to patch into wire as I said earler

The body computer isn't cheap to replace, it has to programed to the car, key transponder, remote and so on

I assume the original poster is only sensing when reversing is occurring to switch the reversing camera on, done properly and according to the instructions this is perfectly safe

Using an incandescent test light 800ma dose not blow up the body computer

The original poster seems to have arrived at a solution

No idea where the hot and cold resistance of a 4W comes into the equation

Of cause could be wrong or something got lost in translation

Last edited:
The 'body computer' in the Fiat Panda 169 is made by Siemens. The circuits in same are all based on latching high or low a set of transistors based on trigger inputs. These transistors switch a set of MOSFETs to handle the a known current in a bulb / bulb circuit. Each MOSFET has a pair of resistors in electronic terms, a voltage/current divider to enable the circuit to sense an open circuit / closed circuit / short circuit. In an open circuit (bulb blown) the transistor does not latch and no voltage is sent to the bulb. In a closed circuit (bulb of 12v4w standard, the resistance on power on, 41 ohm raising to 410 ohm). To correct this range for the circuit, a resistor is wired in parallel to keep the circuit on.* On a short circuit (bulb blown with a short / short in wire to ground), the resistance drops down to close to 0 ohm, which also triggers the circuit to stay off.
As a result, the body computer circuits protect the car and its wiring from shorting and causing fire. Its side effect is that if you change the bulb i.e. to LED (difference resistance) the circuit does not work. Also, if you increase the load - i.e. by paralleling the circuit with another load, the resistance changes and if it is within the 410 ohm, it will work. If it is within 2-5% higher, the MOSFET will be overloaded and WILL burn out.

Many people on this site have identified the wiring on Fiat as well as other cars seem to thin to carry the relevant load. Fiat and other makers get away with this by controlling accurately, the load in the wire - and Fiat use the Siemens body computer to fulfill this task.

In my car, there was originally, an OEM fiat toebar which was removed by a previous owner. I reinstated it (by removing same from a scrap 2008 Fiat 1.2) using the aforementioned plug but also added the toebar wiring interconnector after a friend of mine in Fiat Italy advisred me to do same.
After your post, I rechecked and found that there are two exactly the same plugs that go through the rubber bung comming out to behind my rear bumper.

I have no idea about the 12V4W we are talking about the reversing light 12V21W

As far as I know there's never been a problem with under specification wiring on the panda, people talk about it, people sell upgraded wires, the only melted wire I have seen was due the the insulation damaged causing it to short to earth

Here we are only sensing when reverse is used, Over 10,000,000 ohms will make no difference what so ever

Your car already had an extra connector added for a tow bar already, most people aren't that lucky,

A fault in the reversing circuit should and does blown F31, We are not adding a tow bar here, which is a completely different situation, a 7 way bypass relay would be recomended

I have no idea about the 12V4W we are talking about the reversing light 12V21W

As far as I know there's never been a problem with under specification wiring on the panda, people talk about it, people sell upgraded wires, the only melted wire I have seen was due the the insulation damaged causing it to short to earth

Here we are only sensing when reverse is used, Over 10,000,000 ohms will make no difference what so ever

Your car already had an extra connector added for a tow bar already, most people aren't that lucky,

A fault in the reversing circuit should and does blown F31, We are not adding a tow bar here, which is a completely different situation, a 7 way bypass relay would be recomended
10,000,000 ohms is 10M ohm... and that will make a huge difference. Try put that load on your car and see how long the body computer will last!
5w / 16w and 21w are the standards made. If you want to know, a filement bulb has a range of resistance which changes as the wire in the bulb heats up.

4w = 41 ohm(cold) to 410 ohm (hot)​
5w = 29 ohm (cold) to 290 ohm (hot)​
16w = 10 ohm (cold) to 100 ohm (hot)​
21w = 7 ohm (cold) to 70 ohm (hot)​

The body computer can handle, on this circuit, 7 ohm to about 300 ohm which equates to 5w to 21w bulbs - however, it sees an error when one places a 1w LED bulb at 144 ohm cold and switches off half off the lights. Try it if you donn't believe me. I have 2w LED bulbs in the two indicator repeators that work as the parallel resistance between them and the other 2 bulbs (front and rear) does not excede the cold resistance required. If I add a second LED indicator (say front or rear) the parallel resistance changes too much for the controller. My front side lights are LED as they are also paralleled with rear tail. The interior roof light is LED since I added another two in the rear side panels to compensate for the resistance to work.

As I keep saying, if one puts a 21w bulb in a 4w socket, the system will see the 7 ohm cold as a short and won't work. If you put a 4w in a 21w socket, the system will light it until the filement heats up and the resistance goes above the 70 ohm and we hope the protection circuit to switch it off is faster than the damage to the relevant MOSFET / TRIAC otherwise the relevant semiconductor will fry before the protection circuit runs enough current through the wire fuse to blow said fuse AND the fuse wire is within tolerance.

Adding a 10M ohm load, as you suggested, will fry the control circuits in the body computer. Understanding loads and resistance should tell you that the lower the current between trigger/switched circuit and ground, the higher the resistance and the further one is from the limits of the components within the body computer. Semicondutors do not handle over current or overvoltage and will blow. Yes, the fuse will blow also, but that is the least of your problems.

A 7 way bypass / trailer/toe bar module is between £10 - £50, so adding that to a car is a lot cheaper than adding extra load / trying to calculate the load on the wiring / body computer. Remember, those looking to get the load / trigger from the reverse is for a rear camera etc, so they are already running a cable the lenght of the car, so there is also no extra work adding a constant + (current of cable set to 10amp) for this. The extra advantage is one can add a constant 12v 10amp socket in the boot - which is very handy for a compressor pump etc.

On this very forum, there are posts about overloaded cables and melted plastic at the connectors. Fiat, like every other car maker, are at the whims of accountants who reduce cable thickness to the absolute minimum to reduce costs in manufacture. This causes a problem, especially in a DC circuit when an extra load is placed on a cable due to arcing contacts of a corroded connector / or a bad earth. As a result, the cable heats and either trips the saftey circuits (if it is directly controlled by the body computer) OR if it is via a relay, can melt connectors.

A common problem with some cars is faults, via rust, in the earths of rear lights. The effect is blinking stop / tail lights on one or both sides.

Last edited:
From what I can see the op wants to add a trigger wire for a reversing camera

Why are people making to far more complicated then it needs to be?

There's absolutely no way a trigger wire is going t9 blow the body computer up
Correct,

Their is a lot of miss information and scaremongering on the Internet, that then gets copied and pasted in good faith

There is absolutely no way adding a sens wire properly will kill the BSI

The wires are not under specification
For example the fog (.5mm) is good for over an easy 120W it's only using 21W yes I know about temperature, Length of run ect.

The issue with damp and oxidation of the connectors is well known and understood

@kmor panda has a bypass relay fitted, instead of just the reverse being sensed there is a total x6

Here's mine I have increased the current by 20% the wires haven't melted the BSI hasn't blown up, they are well protected

Correct,

Their is a lot of miss information and scaremongering on the Internet, that then gets copied and pasted in good faith

There is absolutely no way adding a sens wire properly will kill the BSI

The wires are not under specification
For example the fog (.5mm) is good for over an easy 120W it's only using 21W yes I know about temperature, Length of run ect.

The issue with damp and oxidation of the connectors is well known and understood

@kmor panda has a bypass relay fitted, instead of just the reverse being sensed there is a total x6

Here's mine I have increased the current by 20% the wires haven't melted the BSI hasn't blown up, they are well protected

View attachment 428524
You are correct in that a .5mm cable can handle 12-15v, 21W / 1.4 amp with ease as it is rated for 7amp, however, when a DC (car battery / suply) contact arcs as in a dirty connection or where cables are twisted together, the current jumps by a factor of 10. Therefore, the 7 amp cable is then needing to handle 14 amp not 1.4 amp. Even perfectly twisted cable connection will arc in a car due to the vibrations induced by the engine / suspension.

Yolanda, there are very simple tables / calculations with electronics. The thicker the cable is, the more current / voltage it can it can handle. The calculations are all based on the cables resistance, its paralell capacitance and its length. As a cable gets longer, its resistance comes into play and, lets say a .5mm cable (24 gauge) can handle 7 amps at 10ft in lenght, at 20ft, it can only handle 5amps. The last thing we want in an electrical circuit is the wire to burn, so a thiinner wire is placed in the circuit which is refered to as the fuse. Fuses fail by overheating and burning the little lenght of wire in a controlled way, but when one comes to a car and the huge number of devices that are powered, car makers add a computer to control them. This has both advantages and disadvantages - more devices can be controlled using less wires (which makes it cheaper), but due to the fact that a computer switched at low voltages and current, normally 5v and 0v at ranges of 1-10miliamp, there is an interface between the computer and the device being controlled. A relay uses too much current to be switched directly by the 5v 10mA circuit, so a transistor / MOSFET / TRIAC is used. To avoid the devices being damaged during the time it takes the fuse to blow, an extra signal wire is added. This is connected to the center of two resistors between the + and - of a circuit, and is known as a voltage/current divider. This sets a voltage/current to be fed to this sense circult +/- .01v. As a result, when one wires a different device (of higher or lower resistance), the device (in this topics case, a bulb / camera) changes the trip voltage of the sense circuit and tells the computer that there is a fault. On some circuits, the fuse will also blow, but since the current is not high enough (actual fault has not occured) this is usually not the case.

Before I dug into the circuits of the Fiat Panda body computer (presumed it only to be a set of relays), I changed every bulb in the rear clusters to LED on one side one day. I started to do the other side, and the compete circuit shut down. No bulb in the rear cluster worked. It took me close to 2 hours testing each circuit and bulb to get the system working again.

It has taken me the best part of 9 months chasing the circuits in the body computer ( I bought a scrap one in a breakers yard) to work out how it actually works. It is a very smart piece of digital technology that controls most of the electrical functions in the car, but it is all based on the resistance of the loads cold and hot (bulb not on VS bulb on). Fiat designed this as to avoid any change of an electrical created fire caused by cables shorting to the chassis (ground - ) of the car. Most other cars on the market are still using relays and fuses, Fiat seem to be ahead of the world with this as the introduce this 'body computer system' in the 1980s. As a result, the only place cables overheat is at connectors that are dirty / not making proper contact i.e. usually multiplugs at headlights / tail light cluster AND/OR where a crimp connector is added to an original wiring to create a spur as a signal to another device.

To avoid potential problems, if you must connect to an OEM wiring, disconnect the battery and leave for at lease 2 hours (to allow the circuits in the car to discharge completely) cut the cable, strip the two ends adding your third cable (stripped end) to it and twist them together. Then, add solders flux (must clean the exposed copper of the wire to avoid dry joints / arcing) and using a soldering iron, solder the three cables together. Finally, wrap the soldered fitting with cloth based insulation tape up about 1-2" past the joint both sides to ensure that there is no exposed wire that could either corrode in the air AND/OR short to another cable / chassis of the car.

Probing the car with a standard multiimeter / test light similar to the previous postee to check for a voltage etc. is beyond insane as if you short a canbus signal (and there are usually 4-6 of them in most cable looms) cable via the bulb / meter, you WILL blow the canbus chip / a canbus reader/decoder chip in another CANBUS device EVEN if the car is powered off. CANBUS is a TTL / digital signal, and most cars have two of them, a low speed and a high speed circuit.

Now, I'd like to see if the previous postee can get 4-6 years of 3rd level degree information on the internet? My qualifications and experinece include over 40 years working with electronics and digital circuitry. It seems to me that said person does not even understand the basics of Ohms law!

Probing the car with a standard multiimeter / test light similar to the previous postee to check for a voltage etc. is beyond insane as if you short a canbus signal (and there are usually 4-6 of them in most cable looms) cable via the bulb / meter, you WILL blow the canbus chip / a canbus reader/decoder chip in another CANBUS device EVEN if the car is powered off. CANBUS is a TTL / digital signal, and most cars have two of them, a low speed and a high speed circuit.
Thank you. This explains why the all-too common wiring loom issue on the 500 causes some folks so much grief, with reports of multiple seemingly random failures of items (most notably and expensively the airbag ECU) that wouldn't normally be associated with any of the wiring that passes into the rear hatch.
Most other cars on the market are still using relays and fuses, Fiat seem to be ahead of the world with this
They may be ahead of the world in circuit design, but then they design a rear hatch where inflexible cables are repeatedly bent through a sharp angle, resulting in this:

1692852202035.jpeg

At least one of those cables is a CAN line.

I've always said that anyone suspecting they've had a similar failure should always disconnect the battery before even opening the hatch to check this wiring, and that running diagnostics on a car in this condition may cause further damage and give erroneous information.

What you've posted just adds more weight to that.

There are quite a few folks on here with strong mechanical engineering skills and a lifetime of experience in applying those skills, but far fewer folks with any real understanding of digital electronics. @kmor panda, stick around awhile - please!

Last edited:
Thank you. This explains why the all-too common wiring loom issue on the 500 causes some folks so much grief, with reports of multiple seemingly random failures of items (most notably and expensively the airbag ECU) that wouldn't normally be associated with any of the wiring that passes into the rear hatch.

They may be ahead of the world in circuit design, but then they design a rear hatch where inflexible cables are repeatedly bent through a sharp angle, resulting in this:
I didn't say they were perfect, and like every electronic circuit in the world, resistors get brittle, capacitors dry out and the circuit, in normal use, last about 10 years (or they used to). In cars it is a hostile place for electronics where they are exposed to high extremes of tempreture change as well as constant vibration and cables being squashed through the ground plate.

In what you identify about the 500 issue with wires to the rear hatch, Fiat seems to have the same mistake a lot of other car makers make - squashing too many wires through a hole and presuming the rubber grommet will protect them.

To those people who notices a fault with this (i.e. a fault in one or more electrical devices in the car like uncontrolled action on a low speed canbus connected device like windows / central locking / steering position sensor / radio / lights / dash control etc). The high speed canbus is reserved for the engine management, the low speed for auxilary components. Since they all act as transmitter or reciever, all they do is add / read signals to/from the canbus system and behave accordingly. This means that an electric component from a different model fiat should, if the canbus and power cables are connected correctly, behave as if it was made for the car - i.e. a mk3 dash (speedo, clock, computer, lights) is only a display canbus device so it should work in a MK1 or any other Fiat vehicle - but first check the wiring ID codes and values etc to prove it before plugging it in. In theory, you could connect unlimited dash controls to the canbus, and they would all behave - as all they are designed to do is read the canbus signal and display the result.

To fix the issues created by squash / damaged cable similar to the 500 :-
  1. First disconnect battery and leave it for 2 hours minimum. Good idea is to remove the battery and leave it for a day. You do not want any of the canbus system to retain any charge.
  2. Since we are going to be working on the canbus system, disconnect the two plugs that plug into the engine management computer. This is sensitive to static electricity that can come from a mains powered soldering iron.
  3. Then, with a key (central locking / electronic boot release will not work) open the boot and extract the connection similar to the photo above.
  4. Using an old cloth and a bit of tape OR some masking tape, tape all the wires together.
  5. Using a fine metal file, file the edges of the hole to get rid of the sharp edges. These are what cut / damaged the cable - so it is useless repairing cable that will recut again.
  6. Once the hole is smooth (use your finger carefully to feel it), and if it is any way rough, re file.
  7. Now, for the cables, there will at least be 1 cable being exposed and shorting to the chassis plane and Murphys law it is one of the CANBUS low speed cables which is being grounded. That equates in the canbus signals being shorted and devices that require to 'know' when another device is operating / finished fail.
  8. If only insulation is frayed and there is no loose wire strands, a piece of cloth insulation tape (similar stuff that they used to use wrapping the handlebars of the old 'racer' drop handlebars. It is called cloth wrapping tape but is also basic insulating tape with a flock / cloth outer.) can be used to reinsulate the wire. If the wire is frayed, then the thickness at that point is reduced. As a result, you will need to cut that wire, strip it back to expose a bit of cable. Use heat shrink rubber on one wire and push it up high enough to be out of the way for now.
  9. Twist the exposed copper wire together, and place flux on it. Flux is required in auto cables to avoid any possibility of dry joints.
  10. Now solder the wires.
  11. When cold, wipe away excess flux and slide down the rubber heatshrink cable ensuring all exposed copper wire is covered. The shrink the heatshrink.
  12. Before reconnecting anything else, wrap the cable you just soldered in cloth tape. Now you can reinstate the wire, and the grommet in the hole. If it seems loose, that is OK. You may need some rubber cement to bond the grommet back in since the retaining hole is now bigger (since you filed it) This is the intention - it allows the cables to work without being squashed. It also prevents the problem reoccuring since the edges that damaged the cable in the first place is now smooth.
  13. Once you are sure everything is back and plugged in, you can reinstate the battery. Do not forget to plug in the engine management computer first as if you power up the system without the engine management computer, the body computer will fail to start correctly as it is looking for a signal (clock signal) from the engine management computer. This is another smart move, using the engine management computer to manage timing as it is getting a timing pulse from the camshaft / crankshaft position sensor - so when the engine runs faster, the CANBUS speeds (low & high) change in proportion. This is from an old design that allows items such as wipers (CANBUS Low)to sense the speed of the engine / wheels and adjust the wiper speed dynamically.
CANBUS system is a smart design and since most devices are on CANBUS Low or High, adding functionality / display on any device is relatively easy as compared to the old individual device wiring. It also links all devices to each other. The airbag ECU is connected to CANBUS low, like wipers, rear demister etc, so there is a connection between the cables at the aforementioned grommet and the airbag.

Common problem - CANBUS - is with electric window motors on Renault due to breaking connection in the door connector. It causes the window regulator to 'forget' where top and bottom of the travel is. As a result, on press of open / close of the window, the window does not close/open all the way but instead just takes one step for each press of the button. The expensive fix is to replace the motor / regulator. The cheap fix (can correct fix) is to reprogram the window of top and bottom (step window to top, hold up button for 10 sec. step to bottom, hold down button for ten sec. Press up and window goes all up. Press down and window goes all down. Full solution is to clean the door connector plug and reconnect it correctly.
I have yet to see this issue on FIAT, but with CANBUS controlling all devices, it won't be long before this is an issue.

On some Alfa's, the triptronic gearbox control (steering wheel and/or gear leever) fails due to the same plug socket connection. I know of 2 Alfa 156 triptronic systems that 'locked' which forced the gearbox into 1st while the car was travelling close to 100mph and destroyed the gearbox.

The core issue is that the multi-pin plugs are 'double lock'. i.e., when you are plugging them back in, they click twice. This is to allow the rubber seal to completely seal the contacts away from the air / dampness. A few mechanics when working on a car will disconnect these connectors and forget to double click them back together.

I had an Alfa 156 (triptronic issue), a VW Passat (airbag and electronic brake issue), a Renault 19TXE (starting issue), a Mazda 121 (over reving issue) --- all down to these multiplugs not double clicked properely. Vibrations would cause the connections to seperate which caused the previous multiple issues. Once the plug was clicked together correctly, every electronic problem went away.

P.S. Thanks for the comments, and I will be around for some time yet. BTW, I would guess that the thin black cable is CANBUS (don't have 500 wiring colours to confirm) and the thick black cable is the power to the rear demister. Those two shorting to chassis with the demistor on blows the demister fuse but also sends high current down a data cable to every device in the car before the fuse blows. Those shorting together will kill most of the car electronics.

Last edited:
10,000,000 ohms is 10M ohm... and that will make a huge difference. Try put that load on your car and see how long the body computer will last!
diffence in restantance is very small, The BSI will not blow up adding a sense wire to the reversing wire

Screenshot_20230824_085507.jpg

where cables are twisted together, the current jumps by a factor of 10.
Really? Altering the cross-sectional area by that much
There's no CANBUS in the rear light cluster, not in my or any other panda I have owned

I am not insane, or am I, probably
Now, I'd like to see if the previous postee can get 4-6 years of 3rd level degree information on the internet? My qualifications and experinece include over 40 years working with electronics and digital circuitry. It seems to me that said person does not even understand the basics of Ohms law!
You don't know who am, what my experiance is,

After all It wasn't me that said the current increases on a dirty connector, in my world and ohms law a constant voltage and increasing resistance would have the opposite effect

I purposely made an error on one of my previous posts, to see if any electronic genius picked it up,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back