Technical Panda Headlight H4 Connector Melted!

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Headlight H4 Connector Melted!

KurtVerbose

So I noticed that one of the dipped beams on our Panda wasn't working. Changing the bulb didn't fix it and I noticed that the connector was a bit melted and charred.

I checked the other one and although it was working it was so much worse that it fell apart as I took it out.
PandaHeadlampConnector.jpg

So I did a bit of research and found out about the block connector issue and pulled it out. One connector was a bit charred, but I've seen worse on the internet.
PandaBlockConnector.jpg

So I've removed the lamps as they will need new block connectors (which I've ordered), and I've ordered a new block connector. Just wondering if that's the route cause of the problem. It's quite a palaver getting all this done so I don't want to do it twice.
Panda.jpg

The other thing I don't really understand is the revised block connector has thicker wires, but you still join it onto the original thinner wires. Doesn't that just shift the problem?

By the way, bulbs are standard. Don't know if they always have been. Maybe someone in the past put brighter bulbs in? Fuses are ok.

All suggestions and feedback gratefully appreciated!

Well, the headlights had another failure, so I got round to installing the cabin connector that I'd ordered but hadn't bothered installing.

All working again. Here's a simple but useful guide by some kind soul.

The bulb connectors arrived so I fitted them and put the car back together. No idea why there are such different coloured wires.
View attachment 428363

I tested the lights just to see if they worked, not expecting the broken one to light up, but it did.

View attachment 428364

Really surprised as the block connector in the cabin is a bit burnt on one terminal, and also the headlight with the really badly burnt bulb connector, the connector that fell apart when I removed it, wasn't the one that wasn't working.

I'm still waiting for the cabin block connector, but it's not a lot less urgent.

This car is really fulfilling the stereotype of Italian electrics!
He look so much better with his pants on!

Back