Technical unknown electrical connector

Currently reading:
Technical unknown electrical connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all my first post so hopefully someone can advise me

i am trying to connect a reversing camera to my fiat panda 2007, I have threaded the wire from the head unit to the boot and made a bracket to fit the camera to, now all i have to do is to wire it up!
researching your forum it appears that i need to connect into the grey wire going to the rear light cluster?
however when poking the wire up into the boot i noticed this strange electrical connector hidden behind the rear bumper!

20230516_151011.jpg

does anyone know what it may be used for?
I was thinking that it may be a factory fitted connector for a towing bar?
if so can i use this grey wire ?
will it be connected to the reversing light"!

I'm glad that your still alive, but does metal items stick to you and bulbs light if you put them in your mouth (similar to Fester Adams)? Don't mention this to your wife, but has it effected your brain ability?

Re original topic... with car electronics, don't assume that a lower voltage is safe... as there are times that it will not be... and at those times, it is either very expensive (ECU / body computer / air bags etc...) or worse, lethal. If you wish to probe a car with a multimeter, make sure that it is of good quality and meets / exceeds requirements as @AndyRKett has identified being from Fluke, since you are trusting your life with it. Most meters sold in motor factors / DIY stores, due to 'electrical bits' being an added extra to the stock items, are really not safe. One of the worst items to use on car electronics is the bulb on a wire devices (brass rod with a bulb in it plus a trailing wire) as it connects you to one side of the circuit and/or partially grounds digital signals. Hopefully, the computer that you partially ground can survive that, and if it doesn't (it is not guarenteed to do as car makers really don't want people playing around with the electronics) all the expense and hassle is replacing the relevant computer. Yes, they can be repaired but most of the service manuals in relation to the computers are protected by the relevant maker. Otherwise, they would not make the extra money for adding an alarm etc. Yes, the Fiat body computer (that has central locking) has all the relevant circuits and ICs to act as a car alarm but the programming has not been added.

View attachment 428703

The Haynes car manual identifies the colour of the wires on the rear cluster (18) for each bulb circuit. The reverse light (a) is powered by the white cable (Bianco) and the black (Nero) wire as ground connected to pin 3, but since the other end is connected to pin 1 connecter F directly to the body computer (7), it is still not advisable to directly connect this to an external device like a camera without at least sone interface / protection between them. After all, the camera will be outside the car and in the event of a rear end collision, could be squashed. This has the possibility to short the reverse signal to ground, and you would be left with no reverse lights, or even worse, half or more of the lights unable to work. This is not only dangerous, but illegal to drive the car that way.

Warning - Car wiring colours, over itterations change so your model may be different that this diagram.
i wasn't going to post on this tread again, but yet more incorrect information keeps getting added

very first post identified its the grey wire

8th post confirms its correct

same as fiat pin 1 colour H

gray.PNG

code.PNG

same in all RHD i have had owned 05 or 06 or 11

camera connection is one very small load, much less than an incandescent test light as per video

bypass relay 7 connections 7 very small loads plus an extra 2 for power and ground, extra work, more soldering, more complex and all unnecessary

the BSI is current protected
all circuits are Fuse protected

Last edited:
In simple terms, it is not the voltage (amount of units*) that can harm, it is the current (strength of each unit*). A domestic / comercial wiring is protected by at least 20 fuses / sensor circuit breakers in a circuit and limited to normally 40 amp range. A car battery will put out up to 200 amps at peak.... which can burn through human skin into the wiring in the body (nerves etc) and across the heart / brain (though for some of the people posting here, it might be years before that is noticed). The voltages / currents within the body are in the range of 1-2 micro volts and 1-2 milliamps. As a result, if the voltage/current raises in the body via an electric shock, each muscle contracts to such force to break bones and rip muscles from the bones. Even if you survived the shock, your bones would be burnt / in powder.

Electric transmission use huge voltages or similiar to be able to drop the current and the loss in the cable and to make it realitively safe. Car voltages are within the 11-15v range, but have currents much higher then in domestic / comercial.

All I keep saying is, don't assume that the car circuits are safer than your house. They are not.

*simplified explaination
Don't try this at home I am an insane, idiot

Full charged 440CCA battery

Wet thumbs, both hands so accros my heart

Is it dangerous yes, but I know my resitance and done the maths

Am I still alive yes

Can any wires carry that much current to the back of the car, no

Are the circuits to the back of the fused, yes

Is any current limited by the cross sectional diameter of the meter probe tips, yes

Is any current limited by your internal resistance, yes

Is measuring voltage at the back of the ever going to kill you, no

have I rip muscles from the bones, no

Can batteries be dangerous, yes

If I connected my bracelet across the terminals, it would glow red hot and my hand would fall off, it can and does happen reaching through, it's advisable to remove any jewelry before working on equipment.

Last edited:
Is this another tissue of lies.... or a purposely made errors on a post, as you did previously. Again, why should we believe what you post?
Of course an alternater carries on charging when you disconnected battery

Just as I explaind which mean I can't answer your question as it makes no sense

Even if you didn't know a quick search on YouTube would have confirmed it for you

Before hitting the keyboard

Clamp meters can't measure DC current?

Best tell fluke they are wrong then
Ok, if you wish to use a specific hall effect clamp meter on your car, you can roughly measure the current, but they have a 2% (+/- 2 amps ) error at 200 amps. This error means that a value shown is +/- 2 amps. That is no good reading a current of approx 10 amps. The 10amps is not 2% error but +/- 2amps because Fluke does not publish FSC error but display error. This is what Fluke etc lie about. Fluke meters may be fast, but they are to specific specs for military etc. The reliable way to measure DC current is not with a clamp, it is with a low value resistive shunt - i.e. in circuit.

Fluke design and make meters for the US military to very acting specifics (i.e. a DC voltage meter to measure the volts in a battery pack of a submarine compensating for the temperature change etc.) that exist in military and usually not elsewhere... and definitaly not is an Italian Fiat car. Those in the military are trained what to use the meter on, and what not to, and what values to expect. If you want an accurate meter, then try Beckman etc. Fluke are inaccurate.

@AndyRKett
I showed you the schematic, and you overwite it in blue suggesting that there is a direct link between F31 via the switch to the reverse light - there is not.
You also state, incorrectly that the body computer is isolated! I identify that it is a schematic and not a full circuit / wiring diagram, and you backstep. I show you another image of the body where a pin C6 is not shown as internally connected to the body computer which also proves that the body computer is NOT isolated, which I already stated.

What is it, or are you like a previous poster, intentionally posting lies / misleading people OR one of those people who are 'getting off' with an online discussion? Is that what you do on this board, as most if not all of what your posting is misleading / wrong and dangerous. As I stated about another poster here, a little knowledge is dangerous.

I did't think that I'd need to do this on this forum, but for you, I'll make the exception - On a forum / in life there are certain acceptable behaiours - and attemting to manipulate / lie / mislead is of no use to anyone. The OP question was in relation to connecting a reverse camera to the reverse light on a 169 Fiat Panda. He also identified that he has little knowledge / experience of car electronics... so I advised him to install an interface box between the reverse light and his camera as a form of protection - and people like you are attempting, not to disagree with me, but knock me cause your knowledge base is different. Your actions tell me that you want the OP to damage his car either now or in the future. Again, is this for some peverse self gain - i.e. to increase the value of your car(s) at the cost of others on the forum. Little else you have said tells me different.

Of course an alternater carries on charging when you disconnected battery
LIES

In a Fiat Panda 169, the alternator is a dual coil item, where the armature coil is spinning and needs the battery supply to energise it. The stator (outside coil) is stationary which is connected to the battery via a regualtor & rectifier circuit. Without the batttery connected, the alternator CANNOT create the rotating magnetic feild to generate electricity.

As stated earlier - a little knowledge is dangerous - and @koalar is posting what he believes / lies.

A diesel engine may keep running as the ignition of the fuel is created by compression of diesel in an already heated cylinder. The glow plugs in a diesel engine is designed to start the process of fuel ignition. Timing in a diesel engine is usually via a mechanical fuel pump directly linked to the cam shaft. Advances / retards are controled via vacuum lines. Some diesel engines do not have ECUs to keep them running.

A petrol engine needs the spark created by the spark plug which is created via coil packs (transformers) and 12v pulses sent to it from the ECU which comes from the battery. They also use injectors to time the fuel intake - so if one removes the supply (battery) many items will stop tp work that keeps the engine running.

Therefore, a petrol engine without a battery will stop. A diesel engine may not... but again, this is @koalar posting items on a forum that either hide / disquise factual information to prove that he is correct! This is deliberate attempts to mislead the readers and members of this forum.

On another post, a video shows him putting hands across a battery - a 400A/H Bosch battery. We only have his word that the battery is fully charged and not modified in any form. He has admitted to lie in a previous post - how can we believe him?

Last edited:
Ok, if you wish to use a specific hall effect clamp meter on your car, you can roughly measure the current, but they have a 2% (+/- 2 amps ) error at 200 amps. This error means that a value shown is +/- 2 amps. That is no good reading a current of approx 10 amps. The 10amps is not 2% error but +/- 2amps because Fluke does not publish FSC error but display error. This is what Fluke etc lie about. Fluke meters may be fast, but they are to specific specs for military etc. The reliable way to measure DC current is not with a clamp, it is with a low value resistive shunt - i.e. in circuit.

you didn't even know you could measure DC current with a clamp meter in your last post, so I am going to assume you've just spent the last 3 hrs Googling.

Fluke design and make meters for the US military to very acting specifics (i.e. a DC voltage meter to measure the volts in a battery pack of a submarine compensating for the temperature change etc.) that exist in military and usually not elsewhere... and definitaly not is an Italian Fiat car. Those in the military are trained what to use the meter on, and what not to, and what values to expect. If you want an accurate meter, then try Beckman etc. Fluke are inaccurate.
For the purposes of measuring currents in a car for you average DIYer your average clamp meter off amazon will give plenty enough information.

I presume you're talking about Beckman Coulter ? I hate to tell you this but Fluke and Beckman are owned by the same parent corporation Danaher......
Do Beckman even make meters anymore ?

@AndyRKett
I showed you the schematic, and you overwite it in blue suggesting that there is a direct link between F31 via the switch to the reverse light - there is not.
So you think the electricity magically gets from the battery to the tail lights ?

Show me the schematic of the internal workings of the BCM and I'll show you you're wrong.

You also state, incorrectly that the body computer is isolated! I identify that it is a schematic and not a full circuit / wiring diagram, and you backstep. I show you another image of the body where a pin C6 is not shown as internally connected to the body computer which also proves that the body computer is NOT isolated, which I already stated.
The circuits that measure if a bulb has blown will be electronically isolated from the wire carrying the supply to the rear light. the Haynes diagram shows the direct route of the wiring all the way from the battery to the tail light. Who do you think is designing this stuff that it would blow up the BCM if the reverse lights get shorted out? who do you think is designing this stuff that the BCM would blow up if you tried to take more current than the rated bulb. You put fuses in the circuit for exactly that reason.

What is it, or are you like a previous poster, intentionally posting lies / misleading people OR one of those people who are 'getting off' with an online discussion? Is that what you do on this board, as most if not all of what your posting is misleading / wrong and dangerous. As I stated about another poster here, a little knowledge is dangerous.
As I see it, I see someone who has posted several factual inaccuracies, got caught out several times and when doing so resorts to name calling or apparently now claiming everything is "lies"

you feel free to show me the internal wiring diagrams of the BMC and prove everything is lies.

I did't think that I'd need to do this on this forum, but for you, I'll make the exception - On a forum / in life there are certain acceptable behaiours - and attemting to manipulate / lie / mislead is of no use to anyone. The OP question was in relation to connecting a reverse camera to the reverse light on a 169 Fiat Panda. He also identified that he has little knowledge / experience of car electronics... so I advised him to install an interface box between the reverse light and his camera as a form of protection - and people like you are attempting, not to disagree with me, but knock me cause your knowledge base is different. Your actions tell me that you want the OP to damage his car either now or in the future. Again, is this for some peverse self gain - i.e. to increase the value of your car(s) at the cost of others on the forum. Little else you have said tells me different.
I'm not sure someone damaging there car.... one single Panda in the mist of thousands upon thousands of other Pandas out their in the world is going to have any bearing on the price of my Golf.

Wind your neck in, you're trying to dream up conspiracy theories now to justify why someone would disagree with you rather than just admit you're wrong.

you didn't even know you could measure DC current with a clamp meter in your last post, so I am going to assume you've just spent the last 3 hrs Googling.
I already knew, but don't due to actual experience...
For the purposes of measuring currents in a car for you average DIYer your average clamp meter off amazon will give plenty enough information.

I presume you're talking about Beckman Coulter ? I hate to tell you this but Fluke and Beckman are owned by the same parent corporation Danaher......
Do Beckman even make meters anymore ?
They may be owned now by the same parent company, but originally they were two distinct coompanies with two diverse target markets. Also the meter I suggested is from Beckman Instruments before 1998 when they merged with Coulter, or even later when they were owned by the same parent company as Fluke.
So you think the electricity magically gets from the battery to the tail lights ?

Show me the schematic of the internal workings of the BCM and I'll show you you're wrong.
I have the circuit diagram of the Body Computer that I worked out myself from the board. That is way above what you could comprehend, so I am not going to give it to you ever. You seem to be the type of person to copy it, legally lock it away from the world, and sell it on one of your sites (changed probably).
The circuits that measure if a bulb has blown will be electronically isolated from the wire carrying the supply to the rear light. the Haynes diagram shows the direct route of the wiring all the way from the battery to the tail light. Who do you think is designing this stuff that it would blow up the BCM if the reverse lights get shorted out? who do you think is designing this stuff that the BCM would blow up if you tried to take more current than the rated bulb. You put fuses in the circuit for exactly that reason.

As I see it, I see someone who has posted several factual inaccuracies, got caught out several times and when doing so resorts to name calling or apparently now claiming everything is "lies"

you feel free to show me the internal wiring diagrams of the BMC and prove everything is lies.
Again - never.
I'm not sure someone damaging there car.... one single Panda in the mist of thousands upon thousands of other Pandas out their in the world is going to have any bearing on the price of my Golf.

Wind your neck in, you're trying to dream up conspiracy theories now to justify why someone would disagree with you rather than just admit you're wrong.
So you are talking from the design perspective of a VW Golf on a Fiat Panda 169 forum. As I said earlier, why are you here - it seems for some form of perverse pleasure. You don't even own a Fiat Panda 169, the actual car model the the OP is asking about - your statement - or is that more lies ?. It seems that you troll car forums as a source of information for your own self gain.

@koalar
putting wet fingers / hands across a battery will damage a person, and as you stated that you have done this before, it doesn't bode well for the remaing brain function. Also, if water, as you state, was an insulator, why is conductivity increased in the electric chair when they wet the sponge / straps connected to the subject? but with your limited brain power, I doubt if you could work that one out - or are you going to post a video here of you doing that. Yes, take your time and do the calculations before posting it. After all, we don't want you to kill yourself to prove that you are correct / wrong!
Electrocution
If you want the figures, 2000v at 5amps is used in the electric chair with 1500v 5amp required to destroy nerves. As a result, 1400v 5amps (which is less than what is required to damage nerves) should, by what you are stating, be safe.

Last edited:
post 7

The connection is for a Panda OEM towbar electrical connections

wrong it the parking sensor, same colour wires, same type of connector
In a closed circuit (bulb of 12v4w standard, the resistance on power on, 41 ohm raising to 410 ohm).

wrong its a 12V21W bulb we are talking about

Post 9

Due to this, if one changes the load or resistance of the circuit, the voltage at the transistor can jump to much higher than what it is rated for - as a result, the transitor will short / overload on use / time bulb blows. Since this transistor is one of a few in an IC, the IC blows and the 'Body Computer' fails.

wrong the BSI detects the current and switches the output off

Not that the replacement body computer is expensive,

wrong the BSI is very expensive if you factor in replacement cost and reprogramming

its actual location is bolted to the inside of the firewall behind the steering column and console. As a result, to replace it (not that I have) requires removing the complete dash to get to it.

wrong you don't have to remove the dash
Disconnect the battery negative, remove the fuse box cover, Undo the retaining bolts, Disconnect all the, connections.

What I suggest is that you, with a multi-meter, (set to 20v DC, one lead to chassis, other to the tags) figure out the correct wire on the aforementioned multiplug for reverse, and either use that, or add a toebar intermediatary box to trigger the reverse.

hang on a minuet we are using a multi-meter

It is never a good idea to cut into OEM car wiring.

Right but sometimes unavoidable

post 13

10,000,000 ohms is 10M ohm... and that will make a huge difference

wrong simple ohms law

Adding a 10M ohm load, as you suggested, will fry the control circuits in the body computer. Understanding loads and resistance should tell you that the lower the current between trigger/switched circuit and ground, the higher the resistance and the further one is from the limits of the components within the body computer. Semicondutors do not handle over current or overvoltage and will blow. Yes, the fuse will blow also, but that is the least of your problems

wrong adding a 10m ohm resistance in parallel to a 7 ohm bulb is still 7 ohms the difference is infinitesimally small

On this very forum, there are posts about overloaded cables and melted plastic at the connectors. Fiat, like every other car maker, are at the whims of accountants who reduce cable thickness to the absolute minimum to reduce costs in manufacture. This causes a problem, especially in a DC circuit when an extra load is placed on a cable due to arcing contacts of a corroded connector / or a bad earth. As a result, the cable heats and either trips the saftey circuits (if it is directly controlled by the body computer) OR if it is via a relay, can melt connectors.

wrong the cables capable of carrying easy 3x the load, not that the camera adds any significant load

To avoid potential problems, if you must connect to an OEM wiring, disconnect the battery and leave for at lease 2 hours

wrong long gone are the days of everything stored in volatile memory and kept with large capacitors, the only thing kept this way is the RTC with no back up, which makes me wounder if you have even seen inside the BSI

post 17

You are correct in that a .5mm cable can handle 12-15v, 21W / 1.4 amp with ease as it is rated for 7amp, however, when a DC (car battery / suply) contact arcs as in a dirty connection or where cables are twisted together, the current jumps by a factor of 10. Therefore, the 7 amp cable is then needing to handle 14 amp not 1.4 amp. Even perfectly twisted cable connection will arc in a car due to the vibrations induced by the engine / suspension.

wrong a properly secured cable with a soldered joint should never arc or break,

Probing the car with a standard multiimeter / test light similar to the previous postee to check for a voltage etc. is beyond insane as if you short a canbus signal (and there are usually 4-6 of them in most cable looms) cable via the bulb / meter, you WILL blow the canbus chip / a canbus reader/decoder chip in another CANBUS device EVEN if the car is powered off. CANBUS is a TTL / digital signal, and most cars have two of them, a low speed and a high speed circuit.

Wrong probing with a multi-meter is exactly what you suggested doing in suggested doing in post 9 "What I suggest is that you, with a multi-meter,"

Wrong there is no CANBUS in the rear wiring loom

Wrong shorting the CANBUS will not kill anything, it will stop communication and you may have to clear the codes
there's no CANBUS in the rear loom

Now, I'd like to see if the previous postee can get 4-6 years of 3rd level degree information on the internet? My qualifications and experinece include over 40 years working with electronics and digital circuitry. It seems to me that said person does not even understand the basics of Ohms law!

I am starting to doubt this 40 years working with electronics and digital circuitry

post 19

First disconnect battery and leave it for 2 hours minimum. Good idea is to remove the battery and leave it for a day. You do not want any of the canbus system to retain any charge

Wrong there is no CANBUS in the rear hatch

Two hour, a day why theirs nothing to retain a charge, 2 minutes is recommended by Fiat on the airbags and that's being cautious

Now, for the cables, there will at least be 1 cable being exposed and shorting to the chassis plane and Murphys law it is one of the CANBUS low speed cables which is being grounded. That equates in the canbus signals being shorted and devices that require to 'know' when another device is operating / finished fail.

Wrong there's no CANBUS

CANBUS system is a smart design and since most devices are on CANBUS Low or High, adding functionality / display on any device is relatively easy as compared to the old individual device wiring. It also links all devices to each other. The airbag ECU is connected to CANBUS low, like wipers, rear demister etc, so there is a connection between the cables at the aforementioned grommet and the airbag.

Wrong wipers, rear demister aren't on the CANBUS

post 27

In relation to parking/reverse sensors, I have not come across a Fiat Panda with that design of rear bumper that has either mould marks and/or the plastic clips on the rear of the plastic bumper for parking / reverse sensors, so I doubt that that connection is for parking/reverse sensors. Secondly, that plug has a removable cap on it to stop water / dirt ingress. Normally, in a car model, the facilities are installed to allow a garage to add the optional extra like parking / reverse sensors without having to replace such a large item like the colour coded bumper. Secondly, in a mass production, making something unique is avoided. So logically, parking/reverse sensor connection does not seem valid.

wrong it is the parking sensor

Post 29

Devices which may cause arcing include switches, circuit breakers, relay contacts, fuses and poor cable terminations.
Arcing can also occur when a low resistance channel (foreign object, conductive dust, moisture...) forms between places with different voltage.
If a circuit has enough current and voltage to sustain an arc formed outside of a switching device, the arc can cause damage to equipment such as melting of conductors, destruction of insulation, and fire. An arc flash describes an explosive electrical event that presents a hazard to people and equipment.

An electric arc has a non-linear relationship between current and voltage. Once the arc is established (either by progression from a glow discharge or by momentarily touching the electrodes then separating them), increased current results in a lower voltage between the arc terminals.

Wrong high current does not melt the connector, its the hot plasma 2,800 to 19,000 °C

post 32

Explain, using your logic, why car headlight bulbs blow when there is a poor connection on one or both of the battery connections as the arc would be created at the battery terminals, not the bulb the other end of the line?

No idea where this came from this nor the next question below has anything to do with anything or make any sense

One of the factors is said to be the a/c spike coming from an alternator, but that can't happen since it is rectified by the diodes / rectifiers on the rear of the alternator. Also, the alternator would not be creating voltage / current when the alternator inner coil is not energised by the battery during the time of partial / disconnection!

Wrong the coils remain energized as the alternator is spinning and still pumping out 14.1V

Post 34

C - I suggested adding a £20-£30 trailer box for a few reasons -
  1. It does not alter the load on original circuits to excede even the most sensitive run.
  2. It seperates the load of a device (camera) so if it fails, no damage to reverse circuits will occur.
  3. Options of secondary power socket can be added.
  4. No huge extra work is required to fit same, since the OP is already running a cable the length of the car.
  5. Toe bar is therefore mostly wired if the OP / another wishes to fit it at a later stage.
  6. Every toe-bar box comes with its wiring digram (i.e. what cable to connect to what)
  7. No real change is made to the OEM wiring of the car... and as such, no damage is possible to it.
extra time, expense, work, more load on the BSI

goes against what you said in post 9

"It is never a good idea to cut into OEM car wiring."

also goes against as you are now adding a similar extra load to the indicator x2, lights,brake,fog

"Due to this, if one changes the load or resistance of the circuit, the voltage at the transistor can jump to much higher than what it is rated for - as a result, the transitor will short / overload on use / time bulb blows. Since this transistor is one of a few in an IC, the IC blows and the 'Body Computer' fails."

post 37

Another idiotic mistake.

In a car, the voltages are around 12v, but it is DC and has currents of 160 amps.... while in domestic, voltage may be higher but the current is a lot less. It is a common mistake of people who have little information to presume the lower voltage is safer! @koalar is a typical example of a little knowledge may be dangerous / lethal.

Wrong, we are talking about the wiring in the rear, let use some common sense, and stop with the name calling, There nothing approaching 160A in the lights cluster, i am not working in a power station, electric vehicle, over head, power lines, or anywhere else, there is nothing here that will kill me or anyone else

wrong a car battery can provide a lot of current, the body can not draw this current, the low voltage and your body resistance limits the current

post 47

In simple terms, it is not the voltage (amount of units*) that can harm, it is the current (strength of each unit*). A domestic / comercial wiring is protected by at least 20 fuses / sensor circuit breakers in a circuit and limited to normally 40 amp range. A car battery will put out up to 200 amps at peak.... which can burn through human skin into the wiring in the body (nerves etc) and across the heart / brain (though for some of the people posting here, it might be years before that is noticed). The voltages / currents within the body are in the range of 1-2 micro volts and 1-2 milliamps. As a result, if the voltage/current raises in the body via an electric shock, each muscle contracts to such force to break bones and rip muscles from the bones. Even if you survived the shock, your bones would be burnt / in powder.

wrong and stupid, a battery can push out 200 or more amps across say a starter motor of less than an ohm, but your skin has very high resistance

post 54

The Haynes car manual identifies the colour of the wires on the rear cluster (18) for each bulb circuit. The reverse light (a) is powered by the white cable (Bianco) and the black (Nero) wire as ground connected to pin 3, but since the other end is connected to pin 1 connecter F directly to the body computer (7), it is still not advisable to directly connect this to an external device like a camera without at least sone interface / protection between them. After all, the camera will be outside the car and in the event of a rear end collision, could be squashed. This has the possibility to short the reverse signal to ground, and you would be left with no reverse lights, or even worse, half or more of the lights unable to work. This is not only dangerous, but illegal to drive the car that way.

wrong, and unnecessary diagram already in post 10 correct colour wire was identified in post 1

post 58

A clamp meter measures AC current, not DC current so it will not work on a car to measure current. I presumed, foolish me, that you knew how to use a meter!

wrong, very useful they are to, put on the starter cable and watched on a scope you can see the 4 higher current as each piston get to top dead center, and if synced to an injector pulse you can work out which cylinders aren't making compression, without taking the spark plugs out to do a compression test

As a result, water will eventually enter same. Water is electroconductive and one of the elements required for rust. Connecting direct onto a car wiring without isolation means that eventually, water will short the circuit out to cause the reverse light to fail. What else it brings down due to the circuit being sensed by (7) is anybodies guess, but it is guarenteed to be a light circuit. Elecrical problems in a car usually occur at the worst time - when you are away from home / on holidays / raining / dark etc., and this will bring down light circuits. As a result, ignoring it and saying it won't happen is designing yourself to be in a situation without lights in the dark and rain - and to me that is idiotic.

wrong water isn't conductive, i have run my brushless DC motors in under water, nobody worried about water entering factory fit cameras and they aren't run through a bypass relay

I did't think that I'd need to do this on this forum, but for you, I'll make the exception - On a forum / in life there are certain acceptable behaiours - and attemting to manipulate / lie / mislead is of no use to anyone. The OP question was in relation to connecting a reverse camera to the reverse light on a 169 Fiat Panda. He also identified that he has little knowledge / experience of car electronics... so I advised him to install an interface box between the reverse light and his camera as a form of protection - and people like you are attempting, not to disagree with me, but knock me cause your knowledge base is different. Your actions tell me that you want the OP to damage his car either now or in the future. Again, is this for some peverse self gain - i.e. to increase the value of your car(s) at the cost of others on the forum. Little else you have said tells me differen

insulting people just isn't on, here you are having a go at someone else, at least it give me a rest, its fine to have a difference of opinion, i don't care,

post 65

LIES

In a Fiat Panda 169, the alternator is a dual coil item, where the armature coil is spinning and needs the battery supply to energise it. The stator (outside coil) is stationary which is connected to the battery via a regualtor & rectifier circuit. Without the batttery connected, the alternator CANNOT create the rotating magnetic feild to generate electricity.

As stated earlier - a little knowledge is dangerous - and @koalar is posting what he believes / lies.

Wrong again this show very little understanding of how electrics and electronics work, You need a battery to start the exciter coil. This switch off at 700 rpm. after which the alternator is already pumping out 14.1V, around the system and back to itself in a never ending loop, already posted a video to prove it, and all i get is insulted

a lot of inconsistencies, use a multi-meter, don't use a multi-meter, Don't add a sense line for a camera, Add 7 sense lines for a bypass relay, Don't modify the wiring, modify the more than necessary. Repaired a BSI but doesn't know how its removed, 40 years working with electronics and digital circuitry, yet thinks 10M ohm... and that will make a huge difference. Try put that load on your car and see how long the body computer will last!

I already knew, but don't due to actual experience...
Oh ok….. that’s why you said

A clamp meter measures AC current, not DC current so it will not work on a car to measure current. I presumed, foolish me, that you knew how to use a meter!

They may be owned now by the same parent company, but originally they were two distinct coompanies with two diverse target markets. Also the meter I suggested is from Beckman Instruments before 1998 when they merged with Coulter, or even later when they were owned by the same parent company as Fluke.
look all that up on Wikipedia 😂

The rest of what you say is largely rambling delusions and paranoia

Basically if you’re not willing to show your hand then you have nothing. Comments to the nature of ‘I wouldn’t understand it’ yet I’d alter it and then sell it are somewhat contradictory.

Posting up a diagram would make it available to everyone on here and help people out but it seems you’re not the sort to want to help people.

The reason I am here is because of past fiat ownership and continuing to help people.
I’m not sure that ownership of a particular car affects knowledge of that car, otherwise it would make being a mechanic really difficult.

I think given all the insults you’re throwing about @jrkitching or the other mods may need to step in and have a word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back