DSC00403.JPG

Seicento Monster Cento/ECU Master Thread

Introduction

Well starting this is well overdue although technically it's still just a car and a big pile of bits at the moment. It will come together quickly though as I have access to a commercial garage in the evenings and on weekends which belongs to a good friend. I'm lucky enough to have another good friend who is a self employed coded welder/fabricator and yet another good friend who owns a powder coating business. Myself, I do electronics so pretty much everything is covered. :D

I'm not going to go into minor details as most of it has been discussed before (especially the engine which was purchased from Gazzaman). However I will answer any questions and will go into detail with the DET 3 setup and installation as there are no UK guides I'm aware of for this.

So the car:

DSC00505.JPG

DSC005776.JPG

A 2000 SPI Seicento Abarth (probably manufactured late 1999) which replaces the silver Cinq (SPI Turbocharged) I have recently sold for restoration. The silver chap needed some TLC due to a bad repair from a rear collision before I purchased him. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold him on with the standard engine and pinched Mrs. Honeymonsters Sei after buying her a newer yellow ragtop replacement which I got a good deal on but wasn't really suitable for my project.

The planned spec is as follows, only thing I'm missing is the TB. Now Sorted (thanks Blu!)

Specification
1.2 Punto 75 Engine
Fully balanced rebuilt bottom end and crank
Ported Punto 75 MPI head with 3 angle cut valves
866 Cam with Piper vernier adjustable pulley
16v pistons/rods with skimmed block/head to adjust for suitable turbo compression
Port matched HT coated Punto 75 inlet manifold with rebuilt and tested Larger MGF VVT Injectors
Strongflex Polyurethane engine mounts
HKS mushroom filter
ECU Master ECU using fuel implant technology running MPI and solenoid boost control
Brand new GT17 Turbo with Forge racing billet actuator
Custom tigg welded GT17 exhaust manifold with high temperature coating
Forge racing billet Dump valve
Upgraded Fuel pump
Adjustable Boost referencing fuel pressure regulator
Lightened 1.2 flywheel with C&G clutch
Custom exhaust/downpipe with Magnex stainless steel silencer
Renault 5 Turbo polished and uprated Intercooler with Samco pipes and stainless bends
9 row oil cooler with Stainless braided lines
Kinugawa Stainless braided turbo water and oil feeds
Modified brand new sump tig welded for oil return and breather
Aluminum oil catch can with baffle and breather filter
Lower temperature 85c thermostat
New pumps, belts, tensioners
New leads and custom injector loom
All new seals rings and bearings
Aluminum radiator
Sparco strutbrace
Quaiffe ATB differential with new drive shafts and cv joints
Uno turbo or Punto GT Calipers (have both) with vented/grooved discs and pads
-40mm springs and upgraded shocks
Hel Braided brake lines
Monroe adjustable camber bolts (Corrected thanks Brooky :)
New tie rods and track rod ends
All suspension components including rear beam, arms etc. and front hubs, arms etc. removed and powder coated black.
Momo steering wheel, pedals and gear knob
Soundsream old skool reference series amplifier
Soundstream high end 6.5" component speakers
Image dynamics IDQ10 sub hidden in the spare wheel well.
Orion Ultra rare old school digital parametric equaliser
Audio control ESP2 spatial restoration unit
Alpine F1 Head Unit

I will just post some pictures of the bits for now and then intermittently as I fit them.

I do however need to keep this car mobile to park it back in my workshop so it will be done in big chunks.

Cheers
Not a huge update as I'm still waiting for the new suspension and a bearing to fit in the replacement hub, it has been powder coated ready though. Also been very busy at work.

Header tank arrived from Eurocare the day after I ordered it though. :worship:

Haven't lost a drop of water since I've fitted the tank and its been scorchio the last few days. :D

Also fitted my GT calipers and the brakes work rather well now. :D

Attachments

• DSC00573.JPG
    DSC00573.JPG
    804.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00574.JPG
    DSC00574.JPG
    852 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00576.JPG
    DSC00576.JPG
    868.7 KB · Views: 109
Got a bit done today/this morning. Had to use a huge four poster which absolutely dwarfed the little Sei lol.

DSC00592.JPG
DSC00594.JPG

Pictures are rubbish I was busy working and only had my oily phone.

Replacement shocks, bump stops and sleeves fitted all round, new anti roll bar bushes, replaced the bent hub with the freshly powder coated item after fitting yet another new bearing.

DSC00583.JPG

DSC00582.JPG

Fitted wideband and EGT gauges just need to wire them up.

DSC00595.JPG

So next step is ECU wiring, with a bit of luck I might be able to do it tomorrow, or should I say today. :D

Then fuel pump, mount the intercooler, oil cooler and a few other minor bits and pieces before I drop the motor in.

Edit: Will also need to do the tracking now as its gone out since removing the anti roll bar brackets so I will fit and adjust the camber bolts at the same time.

Last edited:
Haven't got as much as I'd of liked to today. Still waiting for some screened cable to arrive for the crank sensor wiring and have had a relentless banging headache, however I did get the other cables in.
Really easy with my diagram since FIAT have been kind enough to number all the connections under the ecu connector cover. There is also a nice little diagram for the conections on the DET ECU. Was ready to boot up and check the sensors when I realised I'd brought along the laptop but forgotten the USB cable for the ecu. :bang:

Anyway I'll let the pictures do the talking. All the cables just piggy back on to the existing cables bar the crank sensor items which I'll do in detail since they have to be screened. Need to be insulated well after the soldered conection has been made. Ideally with shrink but if you're lazy like me you won't cut the original cable, just solder on to it so you'll have to use 2 layers of quality insulating tape on each join. Nice grommet behind the wiper motor is perfect for a 12 core trailer cable that saves making a loom. Just need to punch a hole through the sound deadening. I removed the wiper motor to make life easier. Be sure to use a proper non-insulated crimping tool for the DET 3 connector.

Attachments

• DSC00604.JPG
    DSC00604.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00603.JPG
    DSC00603.JPG
    552.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00600.JPG
    DSC00600.JPG
    577 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00599.JPG
    DSC00599.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00597.JPG
    DSC00597.JPG
    619.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00622.JPG
    DSC00622.JPG
    552.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00616.JPG
    DSC00616.JPG
    918 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00612.JPG
    DSC00612.JPG
    873 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00608.JPG
    DSC00608.JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00606.JPG
    DSC00606.JPG
    789.3 KB · Views: 97
There's still a cable to go to the MAP, the boost solenoid and the crank sensor wiring, but yeah it's not rocket science for sure.

With a boosted aplication there's still the diode on the FCD but I will expalin that later.

Last edited:
Map sensor wiring variations:

MAP.jpg

Without looking at the diagram in the book I would have probably connected the resistor in series with the diode to ground. This in theory would prevent any signal attenuation under normal conditions, however this is how ECU Master have done it according to the diagram below so who am I to argue. If it aint broke, don't fix it I guess. Some people don't use a resistor at all...

Map2.jpg

Also their wiring diagram for the boost solenoid is very self explanatory so no need to do it again:

Boost solenoid.jpg

I'm using a 3 factory 3 way boost solenoid off a modern vauxhall.

Last edited:
Hi Honeymonster.

First off, thanks for such an excellent thread with some very useful information and wiring diagrams.

I'm seriously considering an ECU Master for my Seicento 1.2 8v MPI track car.

My question is once the ECU Master is installed is it capable of working out a basemap for the car, so that it can then be taken to a rolling road for fine tuning?

If not, how do you go about setting the correct fuelling and ignition ECU file values via the ECU Master to suit your specific engine's requirements please?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Jube

If you run the DET3 in FIT mode it has a Volumetric efficiency table just like most other stand alone ECU's so you'll be in the ball park if you set it up correctly. It doesn't have any pre loaded base maps or autotune features though. What you would need to do here is start with rich tables and lean off a sensible amount monitoring your changes on a wideband. The timing will just be that of the standard ECU until you alter it. This should be plenty close enough to get it running before making further adjustments. There is also the option of running it in DET 3 NON FIT then adjusting the original ECU map.

I will be covering this in detail when I get to it so best to hang on a few more weeks when I will explain it in detail with pictures while actually doing it. :)

Hi Jube

If you run the DET3 in FIT mode it has a Volumetric efficiency table just like most other stand alone ECU's so you'll be in the ball park if you set it up correctly. It doesn't have any pre loaded base maps or autotune features though. What you would need to do here is start with rich tables and lean off a sensible amount monitoring your changes on a wideband. The timing will just be that of the standard ECU until you alter it. This should be plenty close enough to get it running before making further adjustments. There is also the option of running it in DET 3 NON FIT then adjusting the original ECU map.

I will be covering this in detail when I get to it so best to hang on a few more weeks when I will explain it in detail with pictures while actually doing it. :)

Thanks Honeymonster, that's great.

I'm looking forward to reading your experiences on the DET 3 mapping side of things in a few weeks time. (y)

Looking to calibrate the IAT and CLT sensors tomorrow/today. There's a bit of math and tinkering involved to work out the RX values. Luckily I'll be doing this so people with same ECU won't have to.

As for actually calibrating the temperature graphs after the RX value is inputed, luckilly I've just found some rather excellent information which will make this very easy:

View attachment Water Temp Sensor.pdf

View attachment Air temp sensor.pdf

Crazy to find out the same sensors are used on Ducati's, touring cars and all sorts of other high performance machines. Very simple coding really ATS05: Air temp sensor 05 casing, WTS05 water temp sensor 05 casing. :D

As for the MAP Sensor I will have to put it under pressure with a pump or compressor equal to my maximum desired boost to calibrate it, then the lower value will be done with a vaccum pump or more likely recording figures running it with the standard engine.

And finally the TPS sensor which will be very strait forward, but I'll explain these things when we get to them.

My screened cable hasn't turned up. :mad: :bang:
I will see what I can dig out of my spares boxes, I'm determined to get it done tomorrow regardless and not let it hold me up. Tomorrow night/Sunday morning I expect to have adjustable timing on the standard engine and calibrated sensors, I intend to see if I can at least get a small power gain for my drive home it too. :devil:

Bed time long day tomorrow. :wave:

Last edited:
Back