DSC00403.JPG

Seicento Monster Cento/ECU Master Thread

Introduction

Well starting this is well overdue although technically it's still just a car and a big pile of bits at the moment. It will come together quickly though as I have access to a commercial garage in the evenings and on weekends which belongs to a good friend. I'm lucky enough to have another good friend who is a self employed coded welder/fabricator and yet another good friend who owns a powder coating business. Myself, I do electronics so pretty much everything is covered. :D

I'm not going to go into minor details as most of it has been discussed before (especially the engine which was purchased from Gazzaman). However I will answer any questions and will go into detail with the DET 3 setup and installation as there are no UK guides I'm aware of for this.

So the car:

DSC00505.JPG

DSC005776.JPG

A 2000 SPI Seicento Abarth (probably manufactured late 1999) which replaces the silver Cinq (SPI Turbocharged) I have recently sold for restoration. The silver chap needed some TLC due to a bad repair from a rear collision before I purchased him. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold him on with the standard engine and pinched Mrs. Honeymonsters Sei after buying her a newer yellow ragtop replacement which I got a good deal on but wasn't really suitable for my project.

The planned spec is as follows, only thing I'm missing is the TB. Now Sorted (thanks Blu!)

Specification
1.2 Punto 75 Engine
Fully balanced rebuilt bottom end and crank
Ported Punto 75 MPI head with 3 angle cut valves
866 Cam with Piper vernier adjustable pulley
16v pistons/rods with skimmed block/head to adjust for suitable turbo compression
Port matched HT coated Punto 75 inlet manifold with rebuilt and tested Larger MGF VVT Injectors
Strongflex Polyurethane engine mounts
HKS mushroom filter
ECU Master ECU using fuel implant technology running MPI and solenoid boost control
Brand new GT17 Turbo with Forge racing billet actuator
Custom tigg welded GT17 exhaust manifold with high temperature coating
Forge racing billet Dump valve
Upgraded Fuel pump
Adjustable Boost referencing fuel pressure regulator
Lightened 1.2 flywheel with C&G clutch
Custom exhaust/downpipe with Magnex stainless steel silencer
Renault 5 Turbo polished and uprated Intercooler with Samco pipes and stainless bends
9 row oil cooler with Stainless braided lines
Kinugawa Stainless braided turbo water and oil feeds
Modified brand new sump tig welded for oil return and breather
Aluminum oil catch can with baffle and breather filter
Lower temperature 85c thermostat
New pumps, belts, tensioners
New leads and custom injector loom
All new seals rings and bearings
Aluminum radiator
Sparco strutbrace
Quaiffe ATB differential with new drive shafts and cv joints
Uno turbo or Punto GT Calipers (have both) with vented/grooved discs and pads
-40mm springs and upgraded shocks
Hel Braided brake lines
Monroe adjustable camber bolts (Corrected thanks Brooky :)
New tie rods and track rod ends
All suspension components including rear beam, arms etc. and front hubs, arms etc. removed and powder coated black.
Momo steering wheel, pedals and gear knob
Soundsream old skool reference series amplifier
Soundstream high end 6.5" component speakers
Image dynamics IDQ10 sub hidden in the spare wheel well.
Orion Ultra rare old school digital parametric equaliser
Audio control ESP2 spatial restoration unit
Alpine F1 Head Unit

I will just post some pictures of the bits for now and then intermittently as I fit them.

I do however need to keep this car mobile to park it back in my workshop so it will be done in big chunks.

Cheers
Very high spec build, should be fun.

Not sure why you're going for a 1.2 flywheel (16v, I guess, the 8v is indentical to the 1108 one and even uprated won't cope with turbo torque -- we know this from eggsperience) the 1.4 16v one seems to cope well enough.

Isn't an oil catch tank with a filter that breathes to atmosphere illegal for road use?

so i have a red sei turbo that came from Jersey and now your building one in Jersey, not only that but i had a silver turbo cinq before hand as well.. How weird!! Also, my mate has a rotting R5GTT, i been eyeing up the intercooler on that for a while lol.

small world!

edit: wondered when this thread would pop-up, been looking forward to reading about this build!! Should be a complete weapon when its finished (y)

Last edited:
Thanks Chaps :D

Almost forgot:

5" Revcounter with Instrementation for oil pressure, oil tempreture, water temperature, Battery voltage and boost replacing the original unit. Then seperate EGT, innovate wideband AFR, small shiflight, Gtech performance meter and knockgauge.

Yes Blu crazy world isn't it. :)

R5 intercooler is a good fit as long as you don't care about the tow hook. :)

Very high spec build, should be fun.

Not sure why you're going for a 1.2 flywheel (16v, I guess, the 8v is indentical to the 1108 one and even uprated won't cope with turbo torque -- we know this from eggsperience) the 1.4 16v one seems to cope well enough.

Isn't an oil catch tank with a filter that breathes to atmosphere illegal for road use?

Sorry missed this, yes it's a 16v flywheel we don't even have a decent scrap yard here pretty much everything is crushed before anyone gets a chance to pull any decent bits off it unless you buy a whole car. Gazzaman was breaking Smilers car at the time I purchased the engine so he was kind enough to hang on for a bit and send me the flywheel on the pallet along with the diff and UT brakes. Shipping something as heavy as a flywheel to Jersey is very expensive so it was too good an opportunity to miss. I believe WOJ runs a 1.2 16v flywheel? so we'll just have to see. I think it will be OK with an upgraded clutch (which will be new not the one in the picture) and I'm not an overly aggressive driver these days.

As for the catch can it is baffled (hand full of wire wool :D) so no oil will escape from the breather. Whether it's legal or not where you are I don't know but we don't even have an MOT. ;)

Believe it or not all these parts have been collected on a tight budget through hours of searching and perseverance. It hasn't been cheap but has cost a lot less than it should of.

Yes, I run 1.2 16V flywheel. For two reasons: one is that 1.4 was difficult to get (actually the one I got was supposed to be 1.4, had a few words with the seller about that :(), two is that it turned out 190mm LuK clutch (I like them, it's a personal thing) was much cheaper. So far (38kkm) it holds fine (y)

Yes, I run 1.2 16V flywheel. For two reasons: one is that 1.4 was difficult to get (actually the one I got was supposed to be 1.4, had a few words with the seller about that :(), two is that it turned out 190mm LuK clutch (I like them, it's a personal thing) was much cheaper. So far (38kkm) it holds fine (y)

In fairness, I hear that Tricker has had no issues, either. Seems that it's not the actual amount of torque that causes the slip, but the exceptionally sharp torque spike the GT15 (at least) can develop. Of course, if you can remove that by any means, while not reducing the peak figure, you'll have a far more manageable car anyway.

well tbh my old cinq clutch only started slipping when i was running 20+ psi and that was on its original clutch (100k miles) bearing in mind that car was turbo'd for most of its life. My seicento still has the oem clutch fitted atm as well and is coping fine so far although i do have a 1.4 16v clutch waiting to go on. I'm sure the 1.2 16v clutch is more than upto the task tbh.

I think it really does depend on how you chuck the torque at it.

Blue with an uprated clutch (of specification lost in the mists of time) would slip markedly for about 500 rpm at a point corresponding exactly to the torque spike (torque increased about 60% over 500 rpm or so) if you held a higher gear and booted it (in the best traditions of we've got the torque, let's use it!), while it would hold fine if you zipped through the gears.

Team Lloyd subsequently fitted 1.4 16v clutches and, IIRC, Martin's car was pushing out something like 140bhp and wrecking the odd driveshaft without the clutch showing any undue stress.

No figures in front of me, but it stands to reason that a decent 1108 turbo will put out a fair bit more torque than a NA 1.4 16v, even if it does have less flab to lug around.

Not sure what clutch/flywheel the 500 Abarths are using, but, if it'll fit, that would be the super safe option. Still, all said and done, it's a relatively easy swap if it shows signs of stress.

i touched on looking at a complete 500abarth box for my sei at one point but i only got as far as it wouldn't be easy (as in the casings are different and not just bolt on able). No idea whether the clutch/flywheel would be useable though. lewey seems to know alot on this subject but he rarely comes in our humble cento section.

Something you should look into in detail fingers for your t-jet conversion i keep hearing about.

I'll just do it the easy way and buy a T Jet engine and box out of a 500 Abarth (uses the same old box as the PGT and Alfa 155). The other T Jets use a different (I think, 2 different!) 6 speed boxes, and at least one fitment seems to use equal length driveshafts, which would be a good thing, but engineering a cupless transmission would probably be just too difficult/expensive. Someone did offer me a bellhousing to fit a SuperFIRE (non tub) box to a T Jet, but that would be extreme abuse!

Selling the house, so when that's done I should be able to get all 3 projects underway, and something with 2 wheels begining with D.............. :)

Back