Illegal HID conversion

Currently reading:
Illegal HID conversion

They dont do anything so no its not a valid point. The cars we have with HIDs as standard obviously have them, do they clean the lights when used? Do they sh*t hence why i put what i did.

Have to agree. Neighbors SAAB 93 Aero has headlamp washers and they don't do didly squat. Would be better to get a mate to hang out the side, climb on the bonnet and spit on a piece of blue rag.

They dont do anything so no its not a valid point. The cars we have with HIDs as standard obviously have them, do they clean the lights when used? Do they sh*t hence why i put what i did.

The headlight washers I've seen on modern cars seem very affective at cleaning them. Are you suggesting that ALL cars fitted with them are ineffective? Or are they only ineffective on the cars you've observed? If so, which cars are they?

911 turbo, Cayenne turbo, BMW X5, Z4M, 2x 335's, 1 series, 5 series, cooper s, numerous mercs and audis aswell. None of them work and beween 4 of the top manufacturers in the world i would think that they would have the best headlamp washers out there.

As I've already mentioned the issue in the main with HID's is with the noobs who fit them to standard reflector headlamp units :bang:

its not the lack of a dome lens that distorts the beam its the non clear front lens that scatters the beam.

the only headlamp washers ive ever had that was any good was on volvos with a wiper on them too

911 turbo, Cayenne turbo, BMW X5, Z4M, 2x 335's, 1 series, 5 series, cooper s, numerous mercs and audis aswell. None of them work and beween 4 of the top manufacturers in the world i would think that they would have the best headlamp washers out there.

So that might explain why many OEM HID equipped cars have lights that glare then? Because dirt on the lenses can affect beam spread (more so than non HIDS), therefore giving a greater reason to restrict their use. Particularly, as you've just pointed out, many new cars are unable to keep their headlights clean even when fitted with washers. Cars not fitted with headlight washers at all are going to be even worse if retrofitted with HIDs.

Next time your cars dirty take it to the car wash and select "Rinse" and watch how ineffective a high pressure lance is on dirt without pre-wash, soap, detergant etc. Prooves Matt's point perfectly tbh.

Again, you prove the point that if headlight washers are so ineffective then it shows why so many HIDs appear to glare because of dirt on the lenses. However, washer fluid should also contain screen wash, in effective a soap/ detergent, which would make them more effective than plain water. Failing to use adequate screen wash is in effect not ensuring the headlights are kept in good working order, thus is a breach of the regulations for having HIDs fitted.

Last edited:
Have to admit ive seen, followed, and had come towards me poorly fitted HID's what appear to be that way anyway, i wouldnt say i was 'blinded' either

A blinding to me is my eyes shutting, i certainly dont and have never done that

Last edited:
Again, you prove the point that if headlight washers are so ineffective then it shows why so many HIDs appear to glare because of dirt on the lenses. However, washer fluid should also contain screen wash, in effective a soap/ detergent, which would make them more effective than plain water. Failing to use adequate screen wash is in effect not ensuring the headlights are kept in good working order, thus is a breach of the regulations for having HIDs fitted.

like mark says above, i followed him with dirty lights and he got no glare.

where are these washer tests done? because from experience of driving with hids the dirt dont distort the light but drastically reduces it if you dont clean lenses often.

There are too many angry people on this forum, people wouldnt be talking like this to each other in real life. i hate that on forums people talk to each other in rude and disrespectful ways just because they can.

its a forum thats meant for discusion! people shouldnt be spoken to in a rude way just because you dont agree with what they say or dont like what they have posted.

where are these washer tests done? because from experience of driving with hids the dirt dont distort the light but drastically reduces it if you dont clean lenses often.

tbh there only really a problem if lens is not clear.

Hence the requirements to have washers?

The washers are requirements as set out in the constructions and use act. Therefore you would've thought that tests HAVE been done else they wouldn't be required in the regulations. There's also been much talk about dirt on the lenses affecting beam 'scatter', something that is more a problem with HID's than with other lights, in particular because of the need to focus them moreso compared with non HIDs. I personally haven't seen any tests, but with regulations being so strict with construction and use these days I can't see why there would be requirements for no reason.

It's also worth bearing in mind that halogen lights have never brought about such heated debate along with a noticeable number of people that are so for and so against them. I agree that any light that is incorrectly aligned/ maintained is a potential hazard, but HIDs by their very nature of being a number of times brighter than halogens are far more likely to cause problems when not used as designed. It also means that they will dazzle more when hitting road bumps/ speed humps as there is a limit to how affective and how quickly self leveling systems can operate. This is exactly why there are a number of regulations in place.

Also worth bearing in mind is that we've had a magistrate post in this thread clearly explaining the legal position regarding HIDs. For those that think the law is wrong, why not campaign against the regulations rather than just complaining about them and fitting them illegally?

So to sum up, the following points have been made:

1. Many people dislike HIDs as they feel they are too bright and cause glare.
2. Many people like HIDs and deny that they ever cause any problems.
3. Fitting aftermarket HIDs is illegal unless they meet all the constructions and use requirements.
4. Illegally retro fitting HIDs to inappropriate headlight units risks invalidating insurance (and should be declared as a modification even if legal).
5. OEM HIDs generally don't cause too many problems though many people feel they are too bright.

As JohnW says, maybe a sticky should be made regarding retrofitting HIDs as these debates are likely to continue ad infinitum with those for and against them arguing their views. So whether people like them or not, unless your lights meet all the requirements retrofitting HIDs is currently illegal until the law is ever changed.

There are too many angry people on this forum, people wouldnt be talking like this to each other in real life. i hate that on forums people talk to each other in rude and disrespectful ways just because they can.

its a forum thats meant for discusion! people shouldnt be spoken to in a rude way just because you dont agree with what they say or dont like what they have posted.

Well said! :worship:

well i found HID doesn't "burn" as hot as standard halogen of an equivalent wattage

exactly, the amount of heat from standard halogen 55w bulbs is impressive and will help keep the lights clear, more than HIDs? or do they still put out a fair bit of heat which helps prevent the build up of snow on lights?

or am i talking rubbish?

Back