Freaking HID Kits and idiots

Currently reading:
Freaking HID Kits and idiots

There's nothing wrong with retaliating with full beam or fog lights - if more people did then perhaps driving round with two cinema projectors on the front of your car might be a less popular option.

Usually the factory-fitted ones are annoying but almost bearable. It's the ebay ones that deserve full beam back - one of them behind me lit up the interior of my car.

Well in my neck of the woods I can be lucky where the overly careful driver in front with his Blackpool light display on the rear of his vehicle, is the only car on the road, that is apart from my good self. This indeed merits all the 12v brightness at my finger tips.....:devil: So there.

flashing back is the stupidest thing you can do.

now not only are you blind but so are they... two cars coming towards each other at speed and neither of you can see...

seriously! i end up going to so many road accidents were people have crashed because of getting flashed.... knock the lights off/on quickly is a much safer option...

flashing back is the stupidest thing you can do.

now not only are you blind but so are they... two cars coming towards each other at speed and neither of you can see...

seriously! i end up going to so many road accidents were people have crashed because of getting flashed.... knock the lights off/on quickly is a much safer option...

Wouldn't that be ilegal as you are then driving in the dark without your lights?

Horn would be the best option - lets them know you are there and doesn't blind anyone....

nah, a quick dip off/on is all you need, you will loose vision for less than a split second. where as with flashing you can be left with that 'blob' on your retina for a few minuites afterwards so is far more dangerous to do to people. also your sidelights will remain on so they will still be able to see you.

Never been dazzled by anything and my pupils are fooked. You must be doing something wrong or being a bit over sensitive. Is a slightly brighter than norm beam really blinding you?

It's not being clicky brighter than a normal beam it's to do with the amout of UV light being emitted, this is what causes the scatter and dazzle, and why reflector units are fine for halogen or even uprated xneon bulbs, but not HID kit. Something these morons cannot understand.

I've this video on YouTube and you ought to see the comments of the idiots with these aftermarket kits fitted.

That video was made using a cheap night capable camera. At night a sudden burst of light will be amplified way over how your eyes lense will percieve it. Have a read up on aperture. Your eyes are far more advanced at adapting it than even the best of cameras.

That video was made using a cheap night capable camera. At night a sudden burst of light will be amplified way over how your eyes lense will percieve it. Have a read up on aperture. Your eyes are far more advanced at adapting it than even the best of cameras.

Look at the 2nd car that passes - normal lights not a problem first car is a :tosser: as is any Muppet with lights that are too bright :mad:

As jenks as said, no other cars cause the same glare :cool:

And on the contrary, a lot of cameras are actually a lot more advanced in adapting to UV light output than eyes, and it's the UV output from HIDs in reflector units that cause the glare ;)

I know it's wiki but will do for now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#HID_.28xenon.29_light_sources

Under burner type
Automotive HID burners do emit considerable near-UV light

UV light can be visible depending upon the wavelength and can be very dangerous to look at, anyone with a decent UV pond filter will be aware of this.

Although HIDs may not emit actual UV light, it's near enough to the wavelength that the dazzle is caused.

Last edited:
they may emit it but you cant see it, only the things its making glow, like water

Trust me Dave, having stupidly mucked about with a pond pump UV tube, certain UV light can be seen. Equally if it can't be seen surly it won't cause any damage, if so why do sunglasses things have to be worn in sun beds :confused:

But as mentioned about in relation to HIDs is the similar wavelength that causes the scatter and bouncing about in the units of reflector units.

Last edited:
you cant see any radiation, wouldn't like to be exposed to it though

True.

Just been looking about and it seems I might have got confused and said UV - Ultra Violet instead of Violet :doh:

Although I still saw some light output from the tube on my pond filter :eek:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

Blue and violet are the shortest wavelength/highest frequency colors of visible light, and, as such, they scatter the most readily. This is why the sky is blue rather than any other color from the sun's white output spectrum. Blue light doesn't just scatter most readily in the sky, but also in the eye. To observe this effect, try this informal experiment: Next time you see a dark blue storefront sign or a row of blue airport runway landing lights after dark, notice how blurry the edges of the sign or landing light appears compared to adjacent lights or signs of different colors. Decades ago, hot rodders would install "blue dots" in their cars' taillamps. These small bits of blue glass cause the taillamps to appear not red with a blue dot in the center, but rather pinkish-purple, because the observer's eye easily focuses on the red but has trouble with the blue, which remains out of focus and appears to tint the entire area of the red light.

Back