Hid

Currently reading:
Hid

And judging from the cases I've seen around here HIDs are fitted by blind people after 12 pints.
I would agree that HIDs are usually done badly and almost always done illegally but they don't constitute the vast majority of modding.

in ALL CASES self levelling, Headlight washers and E-marked housings are mandatory to have HID's..you're just deliberately clouding the matter, its very clear cut and simple.

@jnoiles - Have you ever driven a car with HID's? i can say after having them for 4 years there is NO WAY ill ever go back to halogen...it just doesn't compare when the only source of light is your headlights...halogens are for the most part tolerable, but HID's are better and make for safer driving...

I live in a no street light no pavement area, often when its really dark people still walk in the road dressed in black or dark clothes, with normal headlights you dont see them until you are 1 0r 2 feet away.
If we are having a clamp down on making it safer to spot hazards banning us from it, then we need a clampdown on other road users who seem to remember the bit about walking towards traffic in the highway code, but dont remember the reason for it is if you see a car you can step onto the verge, also need to clamp down on land owners who let hedges grow over the verge so there is no safe place for people to stand to let cars past.
also need to ban stupid led rear lights from bikes

@jnoiles - Have you ever driven a car with HID's? i can say after having them for 4 years there is NO WAY ill ever go back to halogen...it just doesn't compare when the only source of light is your headlights...halogens are for the most part tolerable, but HID's are better and make for safer driving...

Yes I have. And they weren't all that. And I wear glasses. As for making driving safer, no they don't. They routinely dazzle other road users. Which makes the roads a more dangerous place.

INCORRECTLY FITTED HID's will dazzle...correctly fitted and adjusted ones wont...its all about the beam cut off, it has to be below the eye level of oncoming driver, if it is then no dazzle, pretty simple physics...

I also wear glasses (allbeit -0.25d)....quite obviously you're "stuck in your ways" as HID's are a fantastic technology that will eventually eradicate halogens, they are more efficient, brighter and give a better colour temperature...the ones that you tried must have been a dodgy cheap fleabay set-up....i implore you to try my set-up and say "it aint all that"....btw HID's will dazzle in the same way a halogen will dazzle, nothing "special"...only difference is the intensity of the light....

INCORRECTLY FITTED HID's will dazzle...correctly fitted and adjusted ones wont...its all about the beam cut off, it has to be below the eye level of oncoming driver, if it is then no dazzle, pretty simple physics...

I take it you only ever have to drive on perfectly flat roads which are maintained to perfection. Otherwise that's twaddle.

not true...only if the road surface makes the nose of the car deviate so much that the beam cut-off goes above the oncoming drivers eye line....such is the intensity of HID's, i aim mine LOWER than stock, and can still see fine because the penetration is so good...avoiding any glare...

Doesn't matter how low you aim them, when you crest a hill you will still shine above drivers eye level. I assume you have also decommissioned your boot and back seats? As the headlight level is there to adjust for the car being loaded.

thats the same drawback as with any lights...so no point worrying about it, you cant "ignore" a new technology because its too good at what it does...

and no, ive adjusted the healdight units to aim low, i use the level adjuster inside the car to correctly adjust the lights dependant on the load in the back, as it was intended...

take a look, ive put countless hours into perfecting mine, because i HATE the poorly adjusted fleabay kits, but refused to accept it cant be done right...

thats the same drawback as with any lights...so no point worrying about it, you cant "ignore" a new technology because its too good at what it does...

and no, ive adjusted the healdight units to aim low, i use the level adjuster inside the car to correctly adjust the lights dependant on the load in the back, as it was intended...

take a look, ive put countless hours into perfecting mine, because i HATE the poorly adjusted fleabay kits, but refused to accept it cant be done right...

Erm I think you can ignore new technology because it does what it's supposed to do in a manner that is potentially dangerous for other people. A sunbed that's developed that can flash fry a human sized chunk of beef into carbon in 5 seconds wouldn't make it to market as a sunbed would it?

Regular bulbs dazzle less when shone directly into a car I agree however it is nowhere near as blinding as HIDs. If you think this isn't the case your either lying or disillusion.

As for normal bulbs being to bad to use, that's crap too. I can see fine at night in my 126. Maybe I'm special, maybe I'm not trying to make excuses for a mod I want to make excuses for.

However I'm sure you have made ever attempt to make your hid conversion as limiting in it's potential to cause issues for other driver as possible and you should be commended for that. I know only too well some conversion are significantly worse than other and some conversions are far superior to OEM ones. I'm sure I've actually had a tan line on the back of my neck from a Mondeo with a really crappy setup. :)

Last edited:
in ALL CASES self levelling, Headlight washers and E-marked housings are mandatory to have HID's..you're just deliberately clouding the matter, its very clear cut and simple.

You seem to be confusing MOT regs with traffic law, the two are not necessarily the same. It is a legal requirement under various bits of traffic law that any vehicle fitted with HIDs has e marked housing, washers and self levelling. Current MOT regs do not cover HIDs. If you take a old car fitted with HIDs but with no washers, self levelling or E marking for an MOT it will pass. the tester has no power to fail it or to issue a fixed penalty or to report for prosecution. A traffic cop could issue a ticket or report for prosecution.

From january 2012 the MOT will cover HIDs.I strongly suspect that the new MOT regs will mirror the law but that is not clear from what has been issued thus far. It is clear that the new regs will mean a fail if the housing is not e marked. It is not clear what will happen about self levelling and washers. They say that washers and levelling will be included where mandatory, without saying whether mandatory refers to traffic law or (yet to be amended) MOT regs. If it does refer to new MOT regs it will depend on how they are worded.

Last edited:
that's the oem ones and ones fitted to old fashion headlamps

Right. So that would be almost all HIDs on the market then. And I stand by my comments, if you need HIDs to be able to see you have no business behind the wheel. Not you specifically, you as in anyone.

Right. So that would be almost all HIDs on the market then. And I stand by my comments, if you need HIDs to be able to see you have no business behind the wheel. Not you specifically, you as in anyone.
I dunno, the transit we rented for Stanford was pretty useless on the country roads, I had to keep using full beam. I assume HIDs would have greatly improved things?

that's just the remarks of a cretin.....of course we don't NEED HID's to drive, but they make it a hell of allot easier...

and part of traffic law is that the car must be MOT worthy (not just have an MOT) at ALL TIMES, so they are one and the same...

tbh this is getting to be a bit of a silly debate as neither side is going to "relent" because both sides are adamant that they are correct...but i am right :p

Back