Hid help!!!

Currently reading:
Hid help!!!

Har har har... (n)

You think I didnt do that already? I couldnt find a definate answer, so I thought I'd ask on here as I know people do have them.

No HID bulbs in your original headlights are going to be legal...

as dave said if you fit HID you must have headlamp washing, self levelling and the headlamp units them selves must be Type approved For HID bulbs.. (IE HID headlamp units)

coupled with the fact your car is Type approved with that class of lighting now the crux is that with the UK Road vehicle lighting laws been so far behind the technology they only refer to filament lamps (ie your normal halogen H4 bulb for example)

now as we are in Europe and many member states have approved testing and certification for new/upmarket cars with HID lamps (and LED tail lights) they are permitted in the UK under EEC block ruling..

Now many people choose to fit them and get away with it but its worth baring in mind that by fitting them there is a risk voiding your insurance, as no insurance will cover you for an illegal modification which brings your car out of Type approval :spin:

Its up to you but you know its naughty if you do still decide to fit them get the alignment checked nothing worse than a blinded oncoming motorist driving into your path,,,,

Now many people choose to fit them and get away with it but its worth baring in mind that by fitting them there is a risk voiding your insurance, as no insurance will cover you for an illegal modification which brings your car out of Type approval :spin:

my HID's are declared as a modification on my bravos insurance :)

then again did the Call center worker understand what they are? Took me about 10 mins to explain to the lovely lady at moreth>n what a towbar was :bang:

that would be their fault not mine! if i crash and they try to use illegal HId's as a loophole... i've declared them and would love to see them try and get out of it!

that would be their fault not mine! if i crash and they try to use illegal HId's as a loophole... i've declared them and would love to see them try and get out of it!

Yep but knowing what insurance companies are like (greedy money grabbing barstewards ;) )

anyway HID will soon be overtaken by LED :slayer:

then again did the Call center worker understand what they are? Took me about 10 mins to explain to the lovely lady at moreth>n what a towbar was :bang:

Try a 'Siquential LPG system' :p :ROFLMAO: PMSL

"so will you still insure my car if I get it fitted?"

"Errr...I think so"

"Well you'd best place me on hold and check then, as I don't want my car exploding and wiping out a small village and you then telling me I'm not covered ;)"

anyway HID will soon be overtaken by LED :slayer:

Hell yeah :slayer:

Your insurers may assume you have done a proper conversion - ie HID plus appropriate lens & not just stuck a HID behind a lens designed for a lower powered filament lamp.
The pattern of defraction is completely different.
If someone smashes into you & maintains your lights were dazzling, their insurance company will want a full investigation (as they won't want to pay).

Insurance contracts are what the law calls "utmost good faith". Which means that you MUST tell the insurer everything including whether or not your installation is legal.

For an HID conversion to be legal :-

The whole headlamp unit - bulb, reflector, lens, outer cover _ MUST be e-marked and designed to be used together with the other components.

MUST have headlamp cleaning

MUST have self levelling, either in the lamps or the vehicle suspension.

Dipped beam MUST stay on with main beam.

In common with any type of headlamp MUST be properly aligned.

If yours complies with that list you have no problems. If it doesn't comply, then in the event of a claim you may have restricted cover or possibly no cover at all. You could also face court action under the construction and use regulations.

If i remember rightly kay you've got poly headlamp units fitted which solves the lense problem? Headlamp washers come with a change of bumper and twin pump washer bottle like mine, not sure if you've got those? Not sure about self levelling but imo on a bravo/a the alignment switch does a very good job :)

:yeahthat:

Stick with standard, and if you can't see well enough to drive safely at night -
slow down a bit ;)

im gonna have to swap the lights from the bravo over to the coupe... because you litrally cannot see a thing at night. its very frightening. and no amount of going slower helps!

its so bad that because my lights are so dim, ever car that comes towards me at night feels like they have the brightest lights in the world cos im effectivly driving in near darkness

Back