Hid help!!!

Currently reading:
Hid help!!!

lol at all the HID haters.

Got them in all our cars and they are great. Self dimming mirrors are also the way forward for all you people that get blinded all the time. Or rear window tints work too.

The above won't do anything when encountering oncoming cars with badly/ illegally fitted HID's will they Matt... :rolleyes:

And why should other drivers have to take extra steps to compensate for drivers that have headlights that blind others? You seem to have a real thing about HID's and jump to their defence in every thread about them, regardless of the circumstances. When HID's get discussed they don't just concern the HID's you have fitted, they concern EVERYONE who has fitted them, including every chav and his dog who illegally fit them into older style headlights. You seem to forget that this is one of the biggest problems with them and is what causes most of the 'hatred' towards HID's.

Plus if HID's are so good, can you tell everyone just how much more efficient they are in lumens compared with halogens? Any official tests to back these up? Any tests to actually confirm that HID's do indeed improve night time driving compared with non HID's?

I have them illegally fitted in my car. :eek:
Dont really see why and drivers need to take extra steps to compensate for drivers that have HIDs. The majority of cars i see now have them and they never blind me so cant understand how everyone else manages to get blinded by them? Guess its because you stare so intensely at their lights because they are oh so bad for fitting teh HIDs.

Lol at your last 3 points.

1, No i cant because i dont care if they are or arent more efficient than halogens.
2, Dunno go and have a look if your so bothered about official tests.
3, Again dunno go check. Im speaking from personal experience of HIDs over halogens not what some scientist has to tell me.

I have them illegally fitted in my car. :eek:
Dont really see why and drivers need to take extra steps to compensate for drivers that have HIDs. The majority of cars i see now have them and they never blind me so cant understand how everyone else manages to get blinded by them? Guess its because you stare so intensely at their lights because they are oh so bad for fitting teh HIDs.

So it's only about you? Everyone else doesn't come into the equation because if you aren't affected then neither should anyone else?

And you still haven't said whether it's ok for every car not factory fitted with HID's to be retro fitted with them regardless of what type of headlights they have fitted nor how old they are ?

Lol at your last 3 points.

1, No i cant because i dont care if they are or arent more efficient than halogens.

So why are you so concerned about them then if you don't care?

2, Dunno go and have a look if your so bothered about official tests.
3, Again dunno go check. Im speaking from personal experience of HIDs over halogens not what some scientist has to tell me.

Riiiight, so you don't care and can't actually link to ANYTHING that shows that HID's are so much better than halogens? All you can do is 'lol' at anyone who disagrees with or challenges you?

So it's only about you? Everyone else doesn't come into the equation because if you aren't affected then neither should anyone else?

And you still haven't said whether it's ok for every car not factory fitted with HID's to be retro fitted with them regardless of what type of headlights they have fitted nor how old they are ?

So why are you so concerned about them then if you don't care?

Riiiight, so you don't care and can't actually link to ANYTHING that shows that HID's are so much better than halogens? All you can do is 'lol' at anyone who disagrees with or challenges you?

damn right its alllll about me :rolleyes: But equally just because a few of you on here are effected by badly fitted ones it doesnt mean that they are all bad as the majority of people have no problem with them.

No older cars shouldnt have them as they do mess up the beam pattern.

Concerned about them? Im not concerned in the slightest by them or how efficient they are. All i know is compared to standard i can see alot more with HIDs fitted.

No i cant link to anything and as i have already said. I dont need official tests to tell me if technically they do or dont provide better light as from my own experience i know they do. Also if they didnt then manufacturers would not bother to use them due to how much extra they cost over normal bulbs.

Tell you what, you show me some official tests that prove that HIDs are no better than halogen bulbs and then i will take my HID kit out(y)

Last edited:
damn right its alllll about me :rolleyes: But equally just because a few of you on here are effected by badly fitted ones it doesnt mean that they are all bad as the majority of people have no problem with them.

A quick search via Google shows that many other people are also affected by by HID's (more than just 'a few'), though as I've always said it's the badly and illegally fitted types that cause the most problems. Take a look at these Google searches:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB273GB274&q=hids+blinding&start=10&sa=N

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB273GB274&q=ban+hids&start=0&sa=N

No older cars shouldnt have them as they do mess up the beam pattern.

So you DO actually agree that most older cars (particularly those with halogen headlight units) should NOT be retro fitted with HID's? This is why people get criticized in threads when they want to fit HID's to their headlights because a lot of the time their headlights are not suitable for HID fitment and can cause glare to others. Yet you come into the threads and proclaim that there's nothing wrong with HID's and that you don't get blinded by them. Plus you put down anyone who says they do get blinded?

Concerned about them? Im not concerned in the slightest by them or how efficient they are. All i know is compared to standard i can see alot more with HIDs fitted.

I could fit Hella rally lights or Nightbreaker spots to my car and see a lot better with them too. Shame that all the other drivers will get fried retinas ;)

If I were to fit anything to my car that was supposedly a performance upgrade (HID's are to upgrade the performance of the headlights are they not?) then I would normally want to see evidence that they are worth the money and do indeed do what they claim. Yet in most "I want to fit HIDs" threads hardly ever do you see someone state they want to fit them to improve visibility. You are one of the few exceptions who DOES claim that they do indeed do that. Most people want to fit them because "My mate's have them and it looks wicked" and because it's the latest must have accessory for a boy racer crap mobile. It's these people that are doing most of the damage to the image of HIDs, as a lot of people now see the stereotypical chavved up shed blinding everyone and put the blame on HIDs.

No i cant link to anything and as i have already said. I dont need official tests to tell me if technically they do or dont provide better light as from my own experience i know they do. Also if they didnt then manufacturers would not bother to use them due to how much extra they cost over normal bulbs.

Original equipment HIDs are fitted to cars that are DESIGNED to have them, with projector headlights, self levelling systems and headlamp washers. Retro fitted HIDs are NOT.

Tell you what, you show me some official tests that prove that HIDs are no better than halogen bulbs and then i will take my HID kit out(y)

Matt, the above is an example when I say that you treat these threads as if they're all about you and that we're only talking about your car. I'm not saying you should take your kit out if it's fitted to a car with suitable headlights. I'm also not denying that HID's give more light than halogens, though I have asked for HID supporters to tell me HOW much more light they are getting over halogens but have yet to have anyone give me an answer...

However, me and 'a few others' know that retrofitting HIDs to most older cars is a hazard and causes glare because of the design of the lenses. Therefore if people start threads about fitting HID kits into an older car then it's right that they should be dissuaded, because by doing so they are breaking the law AND causing problems for other motorists.

Also, there seems to be NO official tests comparing HIDs with halogens (thus it cannot yet be proved that one is officially better than the other). It's all down to personal opinion and experience. However, there is an interesting article about converting to HIDs from this chap:

Daniel Stern Lighting

"Daniel Stern Lighting is North America's premier automotive lighting consultancy and supply house. Mr. Stern is an experienced consultant in the field of automotive lighting science and technology, setup, regulation, development, history and modification."

Thinking of converting to HID?

So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb. STOP! Put away that credit card.
(Click link below to read more)

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Have a read as it gives food for thought :chin:

The type of headlights i dont believe they should be fitted to are punto mk1 style headlights etc as i will admit they do mess the beam pattern up and for these people i will not recommend fitting them. But for more modern cars with newer headlights then yes i will say fit them.

Projector lenses arent the only ones that can be used. The honda civic, Renault laguna and a volvo use "normal" style headlamps for there HID kits out the factory with self levelers and washers.

I have had HIDs in my mk2b punto and in my grande. After changing from halogens to HIDs the beam patterns have remained the same i have just been able to see alot further in front without blinding people. If however i was driving around blinding everyone then i would take them out and replace with normal bulbs but im not so i wont do that.

I had 6000k in my 2b and have had 5000k in my grande so neither of them were blue and emmited a clean white light. The link you put up about the fake kits is only typical of cheap Chinese kits where they stick branding over them. If you buy from a UK source with a proper warrenty for the kits then they are more expensive and usually have the companies own branding on.

The video you posted up with the megane in it is the type of headlight i would not recommend fitting HIDs to.

I do understand where people come from when they say why not to fit them but im talking from my own personal experience of fitting them which is why i will argue the point because i know mine have been fitted properly and do not blind people.

Matt, What would you reckon to 5ks fitted to a mk2, all tested and everything to the correct beam pattern etc...

Would that be safe? Or would it still blind oncoming drivers etccc... The kit I have is Emarked and IIRC has phillips bulbs..

doesnt make a difference if they are emarked or what make they tell you the bulbs are.

Ive followed plenty of mates with hids in mk2 and i havent had a problem with them.

Back