Hid

Currently reading:
Hid

Being guilty myself, on being flippant on occasion, I feel this is not the time. Everyone has an opinion on this, & it's a vague statement to say that vehicles don't need HID'S, you could on to say a car doesn't need a lot of things, but as said already this makes things shall we say....that bit clearer.

I,m certainly not detracting from the main subject here, but there are a lot of other things that I would like to see banned from being used on cars, but that's another story;)

HID'S can be installed in some cars that have self levelling lights, but the new rules that are coming out, will make it not as easy as that. I'm certainly not trying to change any ones mind here. Like others I've seen vehicles that have HID'S as standard & still manage to dazzle the hell out of you, in saying that there are quite a lot of regular lights that are not set properly & dazzle as well. Granted not as bright, but dazzle they do.

I do feel the powers that be could have handled things in a different manner rather than going down the route of practicly making it impossible to fit HID'S legally. Ah well plan B it is then.

and part of traffic law is that the car must be MOT worthy (not just have an MOT) at ALL TIMES, so they are one and the same...
Current traffic law states that HID lights must have e marked housing, washers and self levelling. The current MOT test does not test for any of those legal requirements.

How is this the same?

and part of traffic law is that the car must be MOT worthy (not just have an MOT) at ALL TIMES, so they are one and the same...

that is why they can be considered one and the same.

EDIT:
sorry, i'm am talking from the point of view of the NEW legislations....which is the pretence the whole thread was started on...

Last edited:
just checked my croma lights an they are e marked
They have to be e marked as suitable for HID. Yours are probably e marked for halogens or tungsten.

C = tungsten dip
R = main beam tungsten
CR = dip/main tungsten
HC = dip halogen
HR = main beam halogen
HCR = dip/main halogen
DC = dip gas discharge ie HID xenon
DR = main beam gas discharge
DCR = dip/main gas discharge

which is the pretence the whole thread was started on...
Not a pretence, the rules are changing but its not yet clear exactly what the new rules will be.

Just to be clear, my reason for starting this thread was to give people who are driving around with unlawful HID lights a warning that, although their chances of being caught are very small at the moment, that will change if their vehicle needs an MOT test any time after 1 january 2012

my projectors are marked with DCR but the housings are marked HCR....i wonder which take presidence?? (makes no difference though as i have no levelling and no washers)

All parts must be e marked for the type of light in use. Your mixture is not legal for halogen, HID or tungsten.

Back