Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts

Old 23-06-2019   #91
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 900t Restoration (Connie)

I've been doing a bit of tinkering with the electrics today (I'll share photos when I've progressed a little further). I also fired Connie up today for the first time in a few weeks (see notes on electronic ignition thread).

One area of concern is that there is a strong smell of petrol inside the van above the fuel tank. This only happens when the engine has been running for a little while.

I can't locate any leaks from the fuel lines however, the only way to get to the ones that go into the the fuel tank is to drop the tank - not a job that I'm looking forward to as a real pain. Especially if there is no leak and the time is wasted looking for a non-existent problem.

Anyone else come across a similar problem?
And if yes, was there a simple solution?

Gary50 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #92
United Kingdom 

I've turned my attention to some of the smaller (and more irritating) jobs. These are quite time consuming relative to the outcome but are necessary. High on the list are the windows - the windscreen was refitted not long after the respray (with a new seal) but fitting the side windows are long over due.

The drivers side quarter light frame was badly rusted at the bottom around the bracket for the quarter light glass but generally sound.

As you won't see this once the new rubber seals are fitted I opted for simplicity - pop-rivets (my welding skills are rubbish).

The old & new metal was cleaned up (sandblasted) and painted with POR15 prior to riveting together - so future rust shouldn't be a problem.

The bottom bracket was quite brittle so I used a couple of washers to even out the pressure from the new pop-rivets (and a dab of Gorilla glue to stick the broken bit back).

The rubber seals are proving quite fiddly to fit - I'll add photo's later once fitted and back in the van.

In the meantime I'm experimenting with how to bond the metal hinges to the glass quarter lights. These have been glued several times in the past but haven't lasted - luckily I managed to catch the glass as it fell out.

Gorilla glue seems pretty good, albeit somewhat messy if you use to much. However, I've come across some waterproof double-sided tape that looks very promising. If it works it should make fitting the glass much easier as it provides instant bonding.

I've taken a template of the quarter light glass - just in case. If they do fall out again I think I'll go for 5mm perspex, as this is easy to drill and can be screwed to the hinges (assuming these don't get lost).

Old 1 Week Ago   #93
United Kingdom 

After much trial and error the passenger door windows are back in.

You have to put the 'winder' window in before fitting the quarter light assembly and then you have about 2mm clearance to squeeze the assembly in. I tried the fitting before gluing the quarter light glass in place and opted to fit the glass last - makes it much easier to fit the rubber seals etc.

I've used double sided water proof tape to secure the quarter light glass, which made it easy to fit as no clamping required. However, the tape seems a little flexible at the moment so I'm not sure how long it will last (Hopefully it will harden once fully cured).

Although I've used new quarter light rubber seals the fit isn't great as there are still quite a few gaps - some black mastic will be needed to stop water getting in.
Likes fiat500, rallycinq liked this post