Inter 2.jpg

X1/9 Fiat X1/9 Restoration

1978 X1/9

Introduction

G/day recently purchased a 1978 X1/9, basically in original condition since leaving the factory, however, sadly the hot Australian sun has faded the metallic paintwork and the interior needs completely redoing, so these last few days (wife has gone away) I have removed the seats, carpet and the central console, although I was surprised to find a double gaiter for the gear lever, seats have gone off to the upholsterer today and also the gear gaiter for repair, have to repair the console as the bottom has cracked with a piece broken off. The dashboard has cracked either side of the upper air vent, (fairly common I understand), they do a reskin in Victoria, but will have to get a quote, would like to have a go myself, but a bit daunting. Will update as I progressInter 2.jpgconsole.jpggaiter.jpg.fiat 19.jpgfiat.jpg
The steering wheel paint had worn off so after prep work I sprayed with 3 light coats of etch primer, followed by 6 light coats of high temp wheel paint finishing with a few coats of clear. Then onto removing the dashboard as it has two major splits, this took just over an hour to remove, mobile phone came in handy for photos, just in case I forgot where bits went. Decided to have the dashboard reskimmed in Melbourne even though it could be 8 weeks, but I am not game to repair it myself and try and match the dash colour.steering wheel.jpgsteering 1.jpgsteering 2.jpgdash 1.jpgdash 2.jpg
Reactions: olliefromuk and ben
G’day mate!😀 Great to see early versions are still turning up in original condition, keep us updated! Do you think the paintwork is salvageable or are you getting it resprayed?

G’day mate!😀 Great to see early versions are still turning up in original condition, keep us updated! Do you think the paintwork is salvageable or are you getting it resprayed?
G'day, sections of the paintwork mainly the bonnet and around the windscreen, have suffered significantly from sun damage and by the looks of it parking under a sap dropping tree, have tried buffing, but not successful, so I think these sections will need respraying, but before going down that pathway I will seek further advice from a couple of paint restoration companies in the area. I will certainly keep the post updated.

Back