IMG-0348.jpg

500 (Classic) "Sophia's" Restoration

Introduction

I have finally begun the process to start the restoration on my wife's cinquecento "Sophia"

Original Introduction Thread

She is a 1966 F with a 650 motor that has a synchro gearbox, electronic ignition and a dynamo.

When I purchased the car from Bring A Trailer it looked to be in much better condition than when she showed up at our home in December. I knew that I was going to have to do some work to get her to where we wanted to be with the car, but I didn't expect to need to "fix" so much. I'm not necessarily mad about this, as I will be able to learn more about the car as I go through it.
The car was originally blue, but was repainted to green at some point. We plan to bring her back to blue, but not for a few years. I'm certainly in over my head on this, but that's part of the fun!

When I started to look her over, I noticed that the exhaust was severely cracked, the seller stated it was "new"

IMG-1884.jpg

Here's how the engine looked after the first test drive. You'll note that the engine is covered in oil, as it turns out, the car has a major oil leak that sprayed over the whole engine from the belt and pullies. I thought we had a fire with all the smoke!

IMG-0348.jpg

The wiring is also quite a mess, with lots of splices and things not working as they should. I ordered a new loom and will be rewiring the whole car.

IMG-1886.jpg

IMG-1885.jpg

IMG-1894.jpg

Gas tank out to begin the wiring removal process. I think I'll repaint it with the colors of the Italian flag

64220810349-43-E1094-E-D6-CB-43-D1-883-A-A850-B1-A7-BE8-B.jpg

And now the process of removing the bits from the engine in preparation to pull it out to fix the oil leak, paint shrouds, swap oil pan and rebuild carburetor. I'll be replacing the bonnet, starter and accelerator cables as well.

Interesting "fix" for a shorter starter cable...

IMG-2258.jpg

The accelerator cable just runs without a housing for the full length of the car

IMG-2253.jpg

Electronic Ignition. If anyone can give pointers on how this needs to be wired into the loom, it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG-2257.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is? Voltage Regulator?

IMG-2256.jpg

Air intake hose needs to be replaced...having a hard time finding this part, any leads?

IMG-2254.jpg

And here's how she sits for now

IMG-2252.jpg

The dynamo does not appear to be working, so I will need to rebuild it. I have a spare so I may send it off for refurbishment.
After rereading this: “Can anyone determine if they’re worth rebuilding or am I just better off going the rebuilt route?”
I realized it isn’t clear. It should have read:
Can anyone determine if they’re worth rebuilding myself or am I just better off buying a rebuilt one?

After rereading this: “Can anyone determine if they’re worth rebuilding or am I just better off going the rebuilt route?”
I realized it isn’t clear. It should have read:
Can anyone determine if they’re worth rebuilding myself or am I just better off buying a rebuilt one?
I would do it yourself. You're halfway there already. My experience with a professionally rebuilt starter motor was that it failed after six months and then I had to rebuild it properly with new bronze bushes etc. There will be good, rebuilt dynamos out there, but there's very little to it. Removing and refitting are the hardest parts. [emoji6]

Is there a guide on here somewhere that gives instructions?

Also, how do I see if the armature and coils are still good?
I don't know about a guide on here but try Google for dynamo answers.
From memory a dynamo is pretty much an electric motor so if you connect to a battery of the correct voltage respecting correct polarity and the rotor spins then its working.

A check that the field coil/s are not open circuit can be made with a basic electrical multi meter.

A check the armature does not have any open circuit windings can be made with a basic multi meter.

My factory work-shop manual has a full description on how to strip and re-build your dynamo--would you like me to copy it out and pop it into the post for you?

Thanks Thomas. I’m trying to track down my Haynes manual right now. I brought it into the house for some leisurely perusal and can’t find it now. I’ll let you know if I can’t find it

I don't know about a guide on here but try Google for dynamo answers.
From memory a dynamo is pretty much an electric motor so if you connect to a battery of the correct voltage respecting correct polarity and the rotor spins then its working.

A check that the field coil/s are not open circuit can be made with a basic electrical multi meter.

A check the armature does not have any open circuit windings can be made with a basic multi meter.

Thanks Jack. I’ll break out the multimeter this weekend

Picked up the tin from the sandblasters and head and jugs from the engine shop today.

Attachments

• DE4E5D66-8636-4D32-89E0-6D554E2F0FF5.jpeg
    DE4E5D66-8636-4D32-89E0-6D554E2F0FF5.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 58
  • F36D2CB0-5926-4F29-BB0D-4103720C076C.jpeg
    F36D2CB0-5926-4F29-BB0D-4103720C076C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 55
  • D647A178-A3F5-4ED7-A213-572345F3174A.jpeg
    D647A178-A3F5-4ED7-A213-572345F3174A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 61EF0CBE-36EC-4B76-A819-EEFCCBB8EC7A.jpeg
    61EF0CBE-36EC-4B76-A819-EEFCCBB8EC7A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
To prevent another damaged exhaust-bolt thread in the head (which could prove expensive and inconvenient to repair) may I suggest that you put studs into the head to hold the exhaust elbows in place. Deep enough on the 'in-the -head' thread to 'lock in' against the head casting, and enough thread on the outside to enable you to secure the exhaust elbow with 2 PLAIN nuts---1 to secure the exhaust and the 2nd to 'lock' the 1st nut---do NOT use 'locking' nuts of any description. You will have to put the exhaust elbow on 1st (and seperately) but in all the years that I have used this system, I have never had a problem with the threads in the head.

The reason for using studs and nuts to hold the exhaust 'elbows' in place is so that you never have to try and pull a bolt out of the cylinder-head, which very likely will, if the bolt has been in for a long time, come out with a fair bit of the cylinder head still in the thread. If you use 'locking' nuts, there is always the chance that the 'locking' nut' will, when you unwind it, will 'nip-up on the stud and pull the stud out with it, and a fair chunk of cylinder alloy. By using 2 PLAIN nuts, one secures the exhaust 'elbow' and the 2nd 'locks' the 1st nut. When you come to remove the exhaust elbow, you hold the 'securing' nut with a spanner, and release the 'locking' nut. The chances of the stud coming out with either nut is remote---to the point I have never suffered that problem, and I have built up a few heads.

Today while going through my bin of parts and bits for the car I was delighted to find a baggy from the Hobbler with exhaust manifold studs and nuts. I forgot you had sent me this. Thank you kind sir! This project wouldn’t be as great without your help!

Er, no!----I think that you could safely say--"it's past its sell by date"!

Dont max out the capacity on that engine stand. ;)

One suggestion, again i dont know what your cosmetic choices are for the engine. But your at the perfect stage to cerakote the block. Even though i dont have the tins on my block yet (waiting to powder coat them), but cerakoting the block was one of the best cosmetic improvements ive done to it. Looks super slick. Should be easily available in the US. If your down to do your own painting..(y)

Its interesting that there are a few build threads going on all at the same time this past year. All at different stages, but we are all on the path to the same goal. A restored and enjoyable 500

Last edited:
Dont max out the capacity on that engine stand. ;)

One suggestion, again i dont know what your cosmetic choices are for the engine. But your at the perfect stage to cerakote the block. Even though i dont have the tins on my block yet (waiting to powder coat them), but cerakoting the block was one of the best cosmetic improvements ive done to it. Looks super slick. Should be easily available in the US. If your down to do your own painting..(y)

Its interesting that there are a few build threads going on all at the same time this past year. All at different stages, but we are all on the path to the same goal. A restored and enjoyable 500
Thanks for the idea! Do you have a photo of how yours came out?

Back