What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

One thing that is clear about electric cars already is battery problems will be well catered for in the aftermarket with the growing number of companies popping up to repair or recondition old or damaged battery packs.

I saw a video recently where someone took an out of warranty Tesla with a dodgy battery and for £5k had the battery reconditioned and from the point of view of an electric car the “engine” of the car was as good as new and good for many more years to come. But realistically you could do that several more times and still have a perfectly good car. No one is replacing car engines when they’ve done 200,000 miles, they just get scrapped

In the same way a new £100k Merc also has the same kit that’s then seen in £15-20k family cars a decade or so later.

You can’t really compare an early £100k Tesla to a early Nissan Leaf (mainly as the leaf was and is still a bit crap) :p

Forget the Leaf a moment and look at the improvement in the Zoe...or the e-golf, the improved e-golf then the ID3 or your own car compared to its subsequent replacement.

The improvement is exponential currently, once we reach a point where all cars manage a decent range and charge quickly and are not pie in the sky prices which is coming likely within the life span of my current car how desirable is automotive betamax going to be?

how desirable is automotive betamax going to be?

Well if everyone took this view on new tech development they’d never buy anything new? Where do you draw the line?

There is a reason that decade old early mass produced EVs haven’t fallen below a certain price, unlike their ICE counterparts, and that’s because there is and extremely high demand in the used budget market.

Like I say, an EV doesn’t suddenly become a heavy paperweight when it hits a certain age and become worthless as you seem to keep trying to imply it will.

Well if everyone took this view on new tech development they’d never buy anything new? Where do you draw the line?

There is a reason that decade old early mass produced EVs haven’t fallen below a certain price, unlike their ICE counterparts, and that’s because there is and extremely high demand in the used budget market.

Like I say, an EV doesn’t suddenly become a heavy paperweight when it hits a certain age and become worthless as you seem to keep trying to imply it will.

Laws of supply and demand apply, so far you wanted a used ev your choice was very limited as they didn't sell in large numbers so demand was high. This not the case EV registrations are booming, they will hit the used market and supply will increase. With an increase in choice comes the freedom to be a bit more picky. Also you're making a judgement in a market where Citroën C3 a car that was forecast to be worth 43% of it's new price in 2017...has according to some dealers retained 98% of its new price.

It's not that it's a paper weight...it's that early evs are very limited so for the vast majority they don't exist if they cost a pound they still don't fulfil the brief for personal transport unless you have 2 cars and off street parking.

When you get to cars you could genuinely cross shop against an I.C.E. car that is where demand will be in 5 or 10 years.

Early cars will be one step above the Citroën Ami..

Last edited:
Two things that made me smile

Repair costs depending on the way you describe the noise.

Also that form you have to fill in to say how the accident happened.

Attachments

• C90F8EF6-C5EC-48C1-A2D0-F721819D804C.jpeg
    C90F8EF6-C5EC-48C1-A2D0-F721819D804C.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 7C9B3C82-19DC-4FED-982E-2301E09B47D3.jpeg
    7C9B3C82-19DC-4FED-982E-2301E09B47D3.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 33
Two things that made me smile

Repair costs depending on the way you describe the noise.

Also that form you have to fill in to say how the accident happened.

So is that the claim form from the pilot or car drivers point of view?

"The take off was all going fine then this guy went full Dukes of Hazzard..."

So is that the claim form from the pilot or car drivers point of view?

"The take off was all going fine then this guy went full Dukes of Hazzard..."

I think it’s the car drivers point of view…

“I was driving down the road minding my own business when this total muppet in a Boeing pulled out on me”

I think it’s the car drivers point of view…

“I was driving down the road minding my own business when this total muppet in a Boeing pulled out on me”

Looking at it I think both parties have had to sign it :ROFLMAO:

Can just imagine pilot coming down the escape slide after a very bad day at work...and there he is the man from the highways agency beckoning him over.

Nevermind the CAA/FAA and the black box, just fill the form in and sign it.

Been outside at my shed, and hundreds of geese on the move, it’s that time of year again, they make quite a noise, it is a wonderful sight, stood there for which seemed ages, head upwards looking on in wonder, Mother Nature in part of her glory.

When humans hear something above, we always look up, without much consideration to what might hit us. Hopefully no eyeful of goosepoo Jim.

When humans hear something above, we always look up, without much consideration to what might hit us. Hopefully no eyeful of goosepoo Jim.

Far too high above for that to happen Bill. This happens every year, and it’s just a wonderful sight, if you haven’t witnessed this, you really don’t understand the magic. I remember one year, about several years ago I saw thousands of geese, and I mean thousands flying high above, this was in the afternoon, I heard the noise of the birds from inside, went outside and just stood there in wonder.

Canada geese are considered vermin in my part of the world. Nothing like taking a corner at speed on the local bike path then going down and sliding several yards through ‘Goose Grease’. Ick.

Probably Canada’s revenge for the Stanley Cup often ending up where ice doesn’t naturally occur.

Up the street has a reasonably new i20 Hyundai with a 48v wing badge.

Now as a child of the era where a car was not complete without an essay on the boot, cannot walk past it without thinking "Coo didn't realise they did a V12 in these".

Yes it's referring to some mild hybrid gubbins...

Canada geese are considered vermin in my part of the world. Nothing like taking a corner at speed on the local bike path then going down and sliding several yards through ‘Goose Grease’. Ick.

Probably Canada’s revenge for the Stanley Cup often ending up where ice doesn’t naturally occur.

Reminds me of an incident a few years ago with a learner.
There's a good road in Swindon, a housing estate, not too much traffic, and an easy roundabout at each end, perfect for early stage learners, move away, stop, repeat.
Near one end is a lake, with rather a lot of geese.
We stopped, with no geese in sight. A mob of geese appeared from the bushes, waddling very fast towards the car. (Lots of people stop there to feed them) My learner promptly had a panic attack. I had to move the car away using the dual controls.
Apparently, when she was about 4, she had been taken to feed some geese, given a big bag of bread, without iinstructions, and been mobbed by the geese. We didn't stop there again. Every learner since has been asked if they have any issues with geese, all others have been mystified by the question.

Geese flying in this time of year increase the chance that we wont have a really cold winter. How knows how they know, but every properly cold winter in recent years was preceded by the geese coming over in late August.

47 years ago today, Mrs. Cheest and I tied the knot. I had a 1967 AMC Ambassador at the time and gas in the US averaged 32 cents a gallon.

Unfortunately, I am in South Carolina this week and she is home in Illannoy.

We’ll go out for the Worlds Best Hot Dogs this coming weekend to celebrate.

I've been having a go round with our Italian facility the last few weeks about the correct operation of one of our machines. Yesterday, I received an email from them tacitly admitting I was correct without actually saying so.

As I am close to retirement and I am no longer willing to suppress my inner A-hole for anybody in the company, I replied back with this.

One of the guys replied with a middle finger emoji.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Went into the bathroom to find a set of 10 inch long dressmaking scissors in the sink.

Now I have a toddler so finding things where you wouldn't expect is a daily occurrence..but these are not something he should have.

Anyway ask my wife "did you put these here?" "Yeah I used them when I was doing my eyebrows"

Now it took a beat for her to register my look of confusion/disgust...and add "I used them to cut the wax strips" :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back