What Shocked You Today

Currently reading:
What Shocked You Today

T Shirt and shorts?:)
20 years ago my work sent people 2 hours North of Niagra Falls (mining town in Ontario)
You were so accustomed to minus 40 degrees celsius

When the wind dropped and the sun came out you didn't bother with a coat, only minus 20 'c 🤔

20 degrees warmer in UK terms is winter vs summer 🙂

People seem shocked that Sturgeon thought Boris was a f***ing clown :eek::eek::eek:
Most of us here thinking that's a fair assessment.

People seem shocked that Sturgeon thought Boris was a f***ing clown :eek::eek::eek:
Most of us here thinking that's a fair assessment.
Most of us down this side of the wall think the same. unfortunately people who share that thought also don't tend to vote.

The irony in this is many many people also Think Sturgeon is a F**king clown..... well, Janette Krankie

Most of us down this side of the wall think the same. unfortunately people who share that thought also don't tend to vote.

The irony in this is many many people also Think Sturgeon is a F**king clown..... well, Janette Krankie
The biggest laugh is on us, which ever leader or party is in power, it's the top Civil Servants (odd description) who crack the whip. Have any of you in your lifetime honestly felt any of them have made your life better?
The figure heads at the top are there to take the flack and be made fun of by the media, to draw attention away from reality.
Or am I just being cynical?;)

Surely it's only a shock if someone had met him and dealt with him and didn't think he was a clown.

However I don't think he's the bumbling buffoon he put out as a public persona...I think that's mainly an act to stop people from expecting him to actually account for his incompetence except of course it's very much a case of was it incompetence or was he running the country for the benefit of himself and his friends and then playing pantomime clown after to stop cries of treason..who knows? I suspect he is a calculating man...but his calculations are for his own benefit.

Have any of them made my life better? Well it would seem some of them have an active interest in making life in the north worse...so I ain't voting that way.

I used to think that, he was playing us all, but I think after the dominc cummings latest then he really us just a buffoon.

Yeah but Cummings is not a exactly an innocent bystander he's absolutely not going to aggrandise himself to put Boris down.

I still refuse to believe you get that far up the tree while being an absolute halfwit.

Yes he had connections, yes he had all the right friends but he's not the only person with those advantages and most of them are do not end up as prime minister.

To me everything he did makes absolute sense of you look at him as a sociopath who was merely out for a good time and to make money for him and his hangers on. Whereas if you look at it we'll he was only doing his best...his best is so terrible he should never have held a job but yet he did through scandal after scandal almost like it served people for him to stay there acting the buffoon while he helped them get access public money.

Last edited:
How did this pass an MOT a few weeks ago:

There's been a wheel bearing type drone for some weeks. I was convinced it was driver's side, checked today as it's the first dry time alone with the car for some time. Everything was solid and perfect.

Had to go do something, and depressing thoughts along the way of diff bearing failures. Got both wheels up when back, and that was the passenger side. F*#%ed is the best term.

I had hoped the MOT would have told be what needed fixed, no way my old garage would have passed that.

Oddly it was silent when loaded up, turning left was noisy, and turning right had no noise

How did this pass an MOT a few weeks ago:

There's been a wheel bearing type drone for some weeks. I was convinced it was driver's side, checked today as it's the first dry time alone with the car for some time. Everything was solid and perfect.

Had to go do something, and depressing thoughts along the way of diff bearing failures. Got both wheels up when back, and that was the passenger side. F*#%ed is the best term.

I had hoped the MOT would have told be what needed fixed, no way my old garage would have passed that.

Oddly it was silent when loaded up, turning left was noisy, and turning right had no noise

Not something I would have missed on an Mot Test.
You could argue about missing a noise when only spinning a wheel by hand at a MOT test against 40mph on the road, but surely tester could have felt that movement?

Nothing new there, most schemes to get people into EVs were going to come to an end at some point. With normal car becoming fewer means less revenue. A bit like road tax, that'll hit EVs at some point since they realised emissions on new cars were so low that they decided to scrap that and charge £150 for new most cars.

Nothing new there, most schemes to get people into EVs were going to come to an end at some point. With normal car becoming fewer means less revenue. A bit like road tax, that'll hit EVs at some point since they realised emissions on new cars were so low that they decided to scrap that and charge £150 for new most cars.
Well the admission that EV polute and damage more than the equivalent ICE car has never surprised me. What I can't understand is why the GOVs still want to go down this environmentally worse road.

As for EV road tax / equivalent it is coming. All new household EV charging points I gather have to be now (or soon will be) separately metered. So Step 1. Charge 20% and not 5% fuel VAT. Step 2. kWh hour rates for EV charging will go up.

I do think we are sleep walking into serious future issues across the board from tourism to goods on the supermarket shelves. Most big supermarkets require the use of a motor vehicle. All the local shops on the highstreet are now shut or nearly already gone bust.

Since man first invented the wheel and sailed a boat "transport" has been the lifeblood of where were are today. As for public transport (assuming drivers aren't on strike)?

Being in Wales the 20 mph is causing more noise, more polution, congestion, longer journeys, bus routes being curtailed, increased law breaking ..... I'm waiting for road accident figures to increase as well. Most people trying to abide by the new 20 mph have all admitted they are focussing more time on their speedo than on the road. Can you read 10% + 2 accurately on your analogue speedo? (i.e. ticket at 24 mph!)

Last edited:
just wait, with schemes like the ULEZ in london expanding all over the country, they'll have all the infrastructure in place to be able to charge you by what roads you use in the future, all billed directly to your bank account.

gotta do something with all those expensive cameras and systems in 20 - 25 years time when most of the cars on the road will be electric and won't have to pay anything for ULEZ

What annoys me about LEZ in scotland is that it's a fine, not a charge. It feels more criminal. Plus I really feel I should start getting a discount on road tax as they are removing roads I can now drive on (an issue I've had for some time with bus lanes in glasgow)

What annoys me about LEZ in scotland is that it's a fine, not a charge. It feels more criminal. Plus I really feel I should start getting a discount on road tax as they are removing roads I can now drive on (an issue I've had for some time with bus lanes in glasgow)
buy a bus as a protest, use that to commute to work. An 11 litre V10 engine pumping out good knows what is definitely better for the environment than a load of small highly efficient petrol cars

What annoys me is the people scrapping perfectly good, but older cars like an old panda or Punto because they are not Euro .... compliant, but a brand new Range Rover considered better because it has a Euro 6 tag attached to it. you can't tell me that a 4.4 litre V8 petrol Range Rover emits less than a 1.2 panda from 2003.

As most Euro standards for Petrol cars have not actually changed for years and years and older cars can easily be updated with modern catalytic convertors engine cleaning/decarbonizing systems and tuning. and we test these things every year at the MOT. If they really wanted these cars off the road and to bring emmissions down they have all the information to target specific cars that do not meet the standards as per their yearly emissions test.

There was a guy in London recently who actually got Porsche on his side and they sent him a copy of the certificate of conformity for his older Boxster, from Germany, to show that the pre euro 4 car was actually better than euro 4/ULEZ requirements and therefore compliant.

People have done the same with the older micra, nissan provided docs to say that even though euro 4 was not around when the car came out that it meets those tests requirement and London have given in, though it seems you need to claim for your car, it's not a blanket acceptance.

buy a bus as a protest, use that to commute to work. An 11 litre V10 engine pumping out good knows what is definitely better for the environment than a load of small highly efficient petrol cars
Its a lovely idea, driving around in an old bus, or perhaps just a minibus, but in many areas, the bus lane sign says 'local buses', meaning those plying local routes. This excludes visiting coaches and even National Express or similar. Might get caught out with the bus of your own, or have to give lifts to the great unwashed.

Its a lovely idea, driving around in an old bus, or perhaps just a minibus, but in many areas, the bus lane sign says 'local buses', meaning those plying local routes. This excludes visiting coaches and even National Express or similar. Might get caught out with the bus of your own, or have to give lifts to the great unwashed.
Well if you live locally it’s a local bus.

Round my way it’s buses and taxis, but not just black cabs any old mini cab is free to drive down the bus lanes.

You could make one stop on your way to work and your second stop could be work. That maybe would get round the rules 🤣

Back