What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Rather hoping everyone stops building Tesla chasers and actually start building cars that are smaller, lighter and more efficient. Ora Cat looks promising and price is reasonable for 260 mile range but a 220l boot is a joke for a car the size of a Focus.

How about an MG5, 464-litre boot, from £27.5k new, with a 249mile range ?

Then why even comment on it, if it’s of absolutely no interest to you and you don’t understand what you’re commenting on? (This is a rhetorical question)

For the rest of the world who move on and things change in their lives, wife, children, change of job, or maybe just wanting to reward yourself for hard work or a bonus, we don’t all live in our own made time capsule hiding from change and might actually occasionally need or want to seek out buying a new car.

Sorry but the guy or girl didn't deserve that did he?

Had looked but only 50kw fast charging. 100kw+ is rapidly becoming the standard. It's the difference between between a quick loo stop and coffee at service station adding enough for you to make your destination and having to twiddle your thumbs for an hour.

Had looked but only 50kw fast charging. 100kw+ is rapidly becoming the standard. It's the difference between between a quick loo stop and coffee at service station adding enough for you to make your destination and having to twiddle your thumbs for an hour.

50kw is rapid not fast. Fast is 7kw destination charging.

They’re also max rapid charging speeds, and will be ideal conditions only (certain state of charge and battery temp etc).

While on the face of it 100 seems to be double 50 and twice as quick this often won’t be the case, as will depend on how long it can sustain said peak and battery capacity etc.

Not to mention you’ll normally pay more for a rapid charge at a 100kw+ rapid vs a 50kw. And the difference can be significant.

On a completely different note, the silliness of DHL made me laugh today.

I got an email advising that a parcel would be delivered yesterday. Not convenient, so changed it to today. Original email said I'd get another email, on the day, with an estimated delivery time. That's good, as I needed to go shopping, and could then plan before or after parcel delivery.

By 10am today, I'd received a message confirming delivery today, but no estimated time. On their 'track my parcel' page, there was an option to get help regarding that parcel, so I clicked that, and filled in the form, asking about an estimated delivery time.

Got an automated reply, stating they try to answer all enquiries within 3 working days.

That'll be useful then.

Luckily, shopping done, parcel received, all well.

50kw is rapid not fast. Fast is 7kw destination charging.

They’re also max rapid charging speeds, and will be ideal conditions only (certain state of charge and battery temp etc).

While on the face of it 100 seems to be double 50 and twice as quick this often won’t be the case, as will depend on how long it can sustain said peak and battery capacity etc.

Not to mention you’ll normally pay more for a rapid charge at a 100kw+ rapid vs a 50kw. And the difference can be significant.

While you’re right in everything you say, what happens in 5-10 years time when all the chargers are 200kw and there are electric “filling stations” all over the place and you’re stuck ages waiting for a charge verses someone with an electric car older than your MG.

It could also be seen as obsolete if new cars at that time have ridiculously quick charging times

For anyone charging at home or plugging in at a carpark/supermarket at the moment 50kw is perfectly adequate.

The main down side to MG is they are very boring and bland cars but also very cheap if you want an electric car now

While you’re right in everything you say, what happens in 5-10 years time when all the chargers are 200kw and there are electric “filling stations” all over the place and you’re stuck ages waiting for a charge verses someone with an electric car older than your MG.

It could also be seen as obsolete if new cars at that time have ridiculously quick charging times

No different to any tech progression. You either spend your money and upgrade or put up with it.

I wouldn’t say they’ll become obsolete as a result, just cheaper and less desirable as a result, no different to how a 15-20 year old Ford Focus or Toyota Yaris is now against a brand new version.

No different to any tech progression. You either spend your money and upgrade or put up with it.

I wouldn’t say they’ll become obsolete as a result, just cheaper and less desirable as a result, no different to how a 15-20 year old Ford Focus or Toyota Yaris is now against a brand new version.

Not really, there's an expectation that cars get better if they are newer but the crucial difference drive train progression settled down decades ago in ice cars. Yes things have changed but its all fiddling round the edges really.

The equivalent would be a 10 year old focus travelling half as far on a tank of fuel and taking twice as long to fill up.

Not really, there's an expectation that cars get better if they are newer but the crucial difference drive train progression settled down decades ago in ice cars. Yes things have changed but its all fiddling round the edges really.

Can’t say I agree. You only need to look at how auto gearboxes have moved on over the past decade and then two decades.

It’s no different to phone tech, that used to move on as pace and has now slowed.

Older phones are still usable, and are used by many daily, and are massively cheaper as a result.

Charging speed will only be an issue for someone who needs to rapid charge regularly, IE those with no home charging or doing high mileage. For many it simply won’t be an issue, as you’ll get home and plug in and it’ll be done by the morning. Doesn’t matter if it takes 4, 10 or 12 hours if not using it for another 14 hours AND needing all of that charge before being able to repeat the process.

Can’t say I agree. You only need to look at how auto gearboxes have moved on over the past decade and then two decades.

It’s no different to phone tech, that used to move on as pace and has now slowed.

Older phones are still usable, and are used by many daily, and are massively cheaper as a result.

Charging speed will only be an issue for someone who needs to rapid charge regularly, IE those with no home charging or doing high mileage. For many it simply won’t be an issue, as you’ll get home and plug in and it’ll be done by the morning. Doesn’t matter if it takes 4, 10 or 12 hours if not using it for another 14 hours AND needing all of that charge before being able to repeat the process.

To be honest...never owned an auto. So as far as I'm concerned engine technology has had slow incremental improvement over around 50 years or so simply because all the easy ground had been covered and the hard ground tends to be 90% more effort for 10% improvement.

Electric cars aren't at that place yet, which is good it means they are only going to get better, more efficient, easier to manufacture, less resource intensive etc. But big generational leaps are being made at this point. Eg. The Kia Rio you have now was replaced with a one that goes twice as far on a charge. Or the progression in the Zoe since launch.

Personally quite happy to let the early adopters crack on and take an interest, but OK now...Will be crap in 5 years that much is pretty much guaranteed.

Last edited:
To be honest...never owned an auto. So as far as I'm concerned engine technology has had slow incremental improvement over around 50 years or so simply because all the easy ground had been covered and the hard ground tends to be 90% more effort for 10% improvement.

Electric cars aren't at that place yet, which is good it means they are only going to get better, more efficient, easier to manufacture, less resource intensive etc. But given big generational leaps are being made at this point. Eg. The Kia Rio you have now was replaced with a one that goes twice as far on a charge. Or the progression in the Zoe since launch.

Personally quite happy to let the early adopters crack on and take an interest, but OK now...Will be crap in 5 years that much is pretty much guaranteed.

Soul not Rio ;) and it only goes twice as far as the battery is 2.5 times larger in capacity, there’s been no magic, just a reduction in cost.

Oh yes it’ll improve, it’s a given with any tech, but it doesn’t suddenly make something crap or useless.

Will something new today be as good as something new in 5 or 10 years time? No, but that’s the same for ANY tech, and doesn’t make it stop working (y)

Engine tech has also moved on massively over the last 20-30 years, and even more so over the past 50. I think you’re giving it a lot less praise than it deserves.

Gone are the days or carbs, points and damp starting issues common even in the 80-90s. Then there is the emissions improvements that have been made over the past 2-3 decades.

Soul not Rio ;) and it only goes twice as far as the battery is 2.5 times larger in capacity, there’s been no magic, just a reduction in cost.

Oh yes it’ll improve, it’s a given with any tech, but it doesn’t suddenly make something crap or useless.

Will something new today be as good as something new in 5 or 10 years time? No, but that’s the same for ANY tech, and doesn’t make it stop working (y)

Engine tech has also moved on massively over the last 20-30 years, and even more so over the past 50. I think you’re giving it a lot less praise than it deserves.

Gone are the days or carbs, points and damp starting issues common even in the 80-90s. Then there is the emissions improvements that have been made over the past 2-3 decades.

Sorry didn't mean to accuse you of Rio ownership :ROFLMAO:

Engine tech has improved, but the 80s were 30 years ago...hence the use of the word incremental.

If you took an engine from 1950 and an engine from now in isolation there's a massive improvement. But if you look at engines year after year between the two it's been a slow evolution as various parts were finessed and improved.

If you take engines 10 years apart...well a euro 4 petrol from 15+ years ago is likely to be able to pass euro 6 with no mods at all....hence why they are ULEZ compliant.

You obviously have a point, if it fitted your needs when you bought it, because a new car is available doesn't mean your current one doesn't fit your needs. But the more capable it is, the more likely it is to fit more people's needs, the more it holds it's value which is something to consider if you plan to sell it in future.

At the moment they are pretty close to what I'd want to pull the trigger, which 200 miles in any weather and the ability if required add a decent chunk of range in a loo stop on a road trip. But the cars that can do that are expensive...so quite happy to continue waiting it out.

Last edited:
Obsolescence these days is more a human perception than in its truest sense of the word

Yes I’m sure if I still had my 1998 Motorola Memphis mobile phone it would still work as a phone if I put a SIM card in it but no one would want that phone now the battery life was terrible half a day on a charge just on stand by and the charger was twice the size of the phone and it wasn’t a small phone.

I remember around that time a 5 year old computer would have been a 486, and the newest computers where the all singing all dancing “pentiums”

Now my 10 year old Lenovo laptop is still perfectly useable in todays world so technology has slowed down.

Battery tech and charging tech isn’t really rapidly progressing, I don’t see a 40kw battery car in the future being able to travel any considerable distance further on a charge than a 5 year old 40kw car when new.

Really the only major progress that is being made is in charging tech and these super fast 100+ Kw chargers, which maybe in the future we can have a 80% charge in ~ 5 mins which if you want to drive and fill up like you’d fill a petrol car may be much more desirable.
I bought my golf 6 years ago and went on a course about 3 weeks later with work, stayed at a nice hotel and I parked in the carpark beside a Tesla model S, at which time they where virtually non existent no one had them but the motoring press where ranting about them, now people would look down on a 6 year old model S as old still usable but people would much rather covet a new model 3 or some other new electric car. The world has moved on massively in those last 6 years but really that old Tesla is still a really good car.

So obsolescence is really in the eye of the beholder these days.

Companies like apple are forced to “stop support” for older phones really to push you to buy a new one.

Just means sensible people will be able to pick up a bargain……. [starts looking on autotrader for old teslas]

If car manufacturers figures were vaguely honest... diesel gate being a reasonable indicator of the level of honesty we can expect from them I might, might just believe 250 mile range, But I don't. The 130 mile real world range of the 199 mile range 500 is a classic example.

I trust the Chinese (corporate and government) even less as they persist in cheating and lying about virtually everything, in spite of having great cultural history and resourcefulness as a people, which is a shame. MG I agree does look a decent bet today though.

Its a huge global disgrace that these evil car makers don't wake up to the climate issues and start responding to the real issues around efficiency and environmental matters.

In just a few years the people who persist in making almost useless super performing vehicles at a massive cost to global continuity will be the pariahs of the entire world. MG should be applauded for the product, but we should all also be asking about environmental costs of cars produced, and very loudly, every time we buy new ones.

Last edited:
The 130 mile real world range of the 199 mile range 500 is a classic example.

Not really, two very different manufactures for starters.

We live in a wonderfully connected world now, which is great for getting first hand real world experiences. Still amazes me at the number of people who don’t do their homework and then wonder why their fingers get burnt. More fool them!

This one I don’t even believe is the LR 250 mile model EV5
https://youtu.be/ohCgTFMFwsI

Just means sensible people will be able to pick up a bargain……. [starts looking on autotrader for old teslas]

I think this is more a statement of how far old Teslas were ahead of the curve when new. How many of their contemporaries have held up in the same way?

People are still releasing new cars now with worse specs. Obviously much easier to build a good car for 80k than it is 20 to 30but in terms of battery capacity/range they weren't bettered by many until very recently.

The thing I wonder about with electric vehicles is the long term battery performance.

My experience of "rechargeables", be they electric shavers, drills, home appliances, etc, etc, is that they perform well for a while and then it all tails off. For instance, after years of buying cabled electric shavers, I'm now on my second, big name, rechargeable shaver. Both have been great for a year or so then they progressively loose endurance. The present one is now about 4 years old and only operates at max "oomph" for about 5 days after charging whereas when new it ran well for a couple of weeks. I've had several electric drills and other "cordless" devices and they all suffer in this way.

So, whereas my nice new electric car might, if I spend a lot of money buying the "big battery" version, get me down to Devon with one recharge on the way what's it going to be like when 4 or 5 years old? My 20 year old Cordoba diesel was still going absolutely fine and I didn't need to worry about finding a refueling point which I could access and which was working.

I'm actually very concerned about global pollution - I've decided I'm not going to fly anymore (unless my sister dies before me in which case I'll be going to America for her funeral) - In fact I'm really depressed to see all the "fly away" foreign holidays being advertised on the TV again when what should be happening is that flying should be reserved for essential journeys only. I'd actually quite like to buy and run an electric car but I just don't think they are fit for purpose yet, especially the infrastructure needed to support them.

I'm listening to the hot air coming out of COP and utterly despairing. Lots of words but I'm doubting if much meaningful action will result. Action will only come about when it's all gone so far "south" that J, G, Ballard's book "Drowned World" will accurately describe our world - I'll not be here to have to cope with it though.

I think this is more a statement of how far old Teslas were ahead of the curve when new.

In the same way a new £100k Merc also has the same kit that’s then seen in £15-20k family cars a decade or so later.

You can’t really compare an early £100k Tesla to a early Nissan Leaf (mainly as the leaf was and is still a bit crap) :p

The thing I wonder about with electric vehicles is the long term battery performance.

Test of time as already been proven if it’s decent battery tech that’s correctly designed.

The Prius was launches in 1997, so nearly 25 years ago now, and from memory when I last checked the data out there, 70% are on their original traction battery still. Of those that aren’t a fair number of failures were down to user error and abuse (ie the car sitting unused for a year or 3).

My Kia is over 6 years old now. Main dealer service last month showed 97.1% SOH still, and I’ve not noticed a 3% loss. I’m happy with that over 6 years.

On newer cars with much bigger ranges, if it does 250 miles when new and only has 95% SOH at a decade old that’s still a 225 mile range.

Back