Technical What’s going on here??

Currently reading:
Technical What’s going on here??

So I was interested in the new 1.0 Firefly engines and what the tech specs say in the new owners handbook. Incidentally, it seems that Fiat has changed its specs for the 1.2 8v engine too.

Tyre pressures can be 2.8 bar on the front and 2.6 bar on the back to “privilege fuel economy”.

Moreover the oil specs have changed. Now the 1.2 8v can use the new Selenia ECO2 0w20 oil for the 1.0 Firefly! Oil change intervals down to 9k.

Seems rather odd why they’d change the specs to a thin oil. What’s people’s thoughts on this? IMG_1290.JPGIMG_1194.JPG

Last edited:
So I was interested in the new 1.0 Firefly engines and what the tech specs say in the new owners handbook. Incidentally, it seems that Fiat has changed its specs for the 1.2 8v engine too.

Tyre pressures can be 2.8 bar on the front and 2.6 bar on the back to “privilege fuel economy”.

Moreover the oil specs have changed. Now the 1.2 8v can use the new Selenia ECO2 0w20 oil for the 1.0 Firefly! Oil change intervals down to 9k.

Seems rather odd why they’d change the specs to a thin oil. What’s people’s thoughts on this? View attachment 206920View attachment 206922

Is it still a C3 oil?
I dont have an issue with the 0W cold rating but in very hot climates I'm not so sure of the 20 rating.

Straight from the March 2020 fiat Panda handbook:

Lubricants for petrol
engines 1.2 8V 69HP /
1.2 8V 69HP LPG / 1.0
FireFly 70HP

SAE 0W-20 ACEA C5 9.55535-DM1

SELENIA ECO2
Contractual Technical
Reference N° F049.C18

Looking back at the handbooks this change occurred in October 2019.

Last edited:
Its thinner oil for fuel economy.. ;)

Same with the tyre pressures.. and it does make quite a difference :)

Strangely however, this oil seems to be very difficult to get hold of at moment!

I would certainly like to give it a try and up the tyre pressures and see the effect it would have on MPG (y)

Allegedly C5 over C3 gives a 2% improvement in fuel consumption. Increasing the tyre pressure could make the ride more harsh. Increasing tyre pressure may add another 1 or 2% too. I changed the noisy Vectors for Nexens, quieter and a small overall improvement in consumption.
I'll try the C5 oil after the summer at the next service.

It's not the first time they've changed the oil specs for the 1.2 or the TA engine for that matter.

Seems every time they "refresh" their models they change the oil specs.
It's obvious it helps them keep the motor on the right side of the regs.
Though I would still use what your handbook supplied with the car suggests.

Our Vitara uses 0w-20 and it always appears "fresh".
It looks as clean and silky at 10,000 miles as it does after 1 mile.

I've never known an engine to work the oil so little, then again I've been used to turbo engines for a while and the Vitara isn't.

I've also never known a fairly blunt and chunky 1.6 petrol SUV to do over 50 mpg on a steady cruise either.

Seems rather odd why they’d change the specs to a thin oil. What’s people’s thoughts on this? View attachment 206920View attachment 206922

Cheers.
I see the firefly has less torque than the 1242 fire engine so I assume it is slightly slower.

It would be interesting to take one for a test drive. Remember the 1.0 FireFly uses a 6spd box. Whether it’s a new gearbox all together remains to be seen.

It’s interesting that on the 500 they offer the 1.0 FireFly on every trim level along side the 1.2 8v. In every instance undercutting the 1.2 8v by some margin. It appears the 0.9 TwinAir is no more....

On the panda it’s a different story. POP/EASY/LOUNGE models can only be specified with the 1.2 8v at the moment. Faux 4x4 models - City Cross, Trussardi etc, the 1.2 8v undercuts the 1.0 FireFly. The configurator doesn’t currently work for Waze models. True 4x4 models can only be specified with the 0.9 TwinAir engine. So a real mishmash of things going on.

I’ve had look at getting hold of this oil on the web and it’s almost impossible at this stage. If it’s to become to new standard for most models it should become widely available as models filter onto the market in due course.

IMG_1227.JPG even on on Petronas’s website it shows for 2020 models of Fiat 500 1.2 8v that the new ECO2 oil is specified. It would be interesting in the real world to see if this oil actually makes any difference to fuel efficiency. Testing for CO2 would make for interesting reading.

Hi.
Opie oils have various makes of this oil in stock from around £36 for 5 litres.

Going back a good number of years I remember going from 20W 50 in my Skoda 120LS To Mobil 1. The fuel consumption greatly improved as did smoothness, they did though use a little oil as this engine didn't have valve seals.

Last edited:
Hi.
Opie oils have various makes of this oil in stock from around £36 for 5 litres.

Going back a good number of years I remember going from 20W 50 in my Skoda 120LS To Mobil 1. The fuel consumption greatly improved as did smoothness, they did though use a little oil as this engine didn't have valve seals.

But which of the 0w-20 oils currently out there would be suitable? What are the differences between them?

But which of the 0w-20 oils currently out there would be suitable? What are the differences between them?

The BMW spec uses the same numbers as the Fiat spec. I'd say they all need to adhere to the C5 spec which should be fine. Imagine being stuck with low oil and it was a Volvo spec C5 that was all that was available, I'd have no hesitation in using the Volvo oil.

Last edited:
The BMW spec uses the same numbers as the Fiat spec. I'd say they all need to adhere to the C5 spec which should be fine. Imagine being stuck with low oil and it was a Volvo spec C5 that was all that was available, I'd have no hesitation in using the Volvo oil.

Having had a look this afternoon I found two suitable oils:

Millers XF longlife 0w20 14 FE & Comma Eco-M 0w20

Both oils are C5/MB 229.71 with the Millers also BMW Longlife-14FE+

When you look at the tech specs for the ECO2, both above oils look very closely matched.

The millers stuff isn’t too dear either and they’re not far from where I live in Brighouse W.Yorks.

Last edited:
Back