Technical Mild Hybrid owners - what’s it like?

Currently reading:
Technical Mild Hybrid owners - what’s it like?

What's the aim here, to get a new panda at all costs? Or just any reliable small car?

There’s a nice Cross at motor point. Incorrectly labelled (and priced) as a city cross. What’s your fuel economy like with the 4x4 TA?

Roughly 40mpg my wife drives the car, mainly to her work and back, so really short journeys probably about 20 miles a day tops.

We've been alternating between cheap supermarket E10 and the expensive E5 petrol, don't think the E5 is making much difference fuel economy wise, my wife drives with the ECO button off.

What's the aim here, to get a new panda at all costs? Or just any reliable small car?
Good question.

I'm actually a little confused on where to go next...

One option is Lexus CT - higher specs. That's about everything I can imagine having on a car. Some days (not often) I think that's where I'd like to go. On the other hand, despite being a good car - like my Toyota - I think it will lack character and any sort of love for the car, its looks and all that.. and it's a higher cost / payment - so if it's not perfect.. I might just be in the same boat.

Second option is an Abarth 595C (auto). It adds the convenience of auto, the novelty (to be enjoyed often) of an open air roof, likely a stunning colour and looks - satisfaction walking up to it and being seen in it. It's got a killer sound track. It's a real drivers car by all accounts. I'd say it would be amazing around the north coast here on a sunny day with open throttle. It's small (adequate for me). Hardly a gas guzzler like other 'fast' cars. But something I could see myself enjoying a lot and it has that warm feeling of being a part of the Fiat/Abarth/Alfa community as well as the owner satisfaction all of its cars seem to exhibit. It also has the option of CarPlay, a bonus. And I can fit heated seats and wouldn't hesitate at a job like that now. However... it's also sometimes cited at hard to live with and usually peoples second cars, so despite the fun and love of it, perhaps I'd regret that decision too...

Last option, and honestly the one I lean most toward: another Panda. Current shape. Not too old. I've been contemplating buying a brand spanking new one - right to my requirements. But this MHEV seems questionable to live with and maintain long term. With this, it's very much easy to live with. 5 doors, easy to move, personally I absolutely love how it looks despite it not being considered by many to be a looker. It's the one car I'd allow to be manual - as I've experience of it and never had many issues with the gear change on it. Lounge is the ideal spec, all the essentials, nothing more. Easy is fine - but without the phone cradle and steering control pack, I think day to day it will be lacking for my needs. CarPlay is a bonus on the newer / brand new models. But my phone (only if the factory cradle and charge port is equipped) is even better than CarPlay. I've considered the Pop, but they are barely less than an Easy or above to buy used and the remote key absent is a little too much to sacrifice walking up to the car, hands full of groceries etc.

The aim... well, I've been between cars a lot. I've experienced what is the pinnacle for me and my circles in that Mercedes CLA220 which was decked out with every feature under the sun. Unlike before, I've lived with and experienced 'everything'. The DS3 was a step on the ladder of lots of spec. The Avensis more so, with the size advantage, 'comfort', and reliability from Toyota. Sure enough, no real issues with it that weren't fixed easily. I just don't feel very satisfied with it. The gear changes are poor / bad gearing making it frustrating on longer trips. The MPG is poor and the engine constantly working overtime to make it move... My uncles 2.2D Mazda 6 estate gets the same MPG, but is auto and has 180hp versus 110hp - which is slow. That's what's got me wanting rid of the Avensis.

I've been thinking back and of all my cars to-date, the album on my phone of the 2017 Panda I bought from Motorpoint in 2019 is the one that makes me smile the most. I was so happy with that car coming from my 05. I was excited, and for actual months was in awe of having air conditioning. Something everybody else started with! That level of contentment, unwavering pride in that car - that's what I want. The satisfaction of being satisfied with something so simple and something I felt was a reflection of my own outlooks on life and character too. Before, I didn't know what I was missing and during lockdown 2020 boredom got the better of me and I wanted the highest spec I could get with minimal increase. Problems ensued (Citroen quality). The Mercedes for two months happened. I wanted more than the DS3 then. I got the Avensis, full size, 'comfort', 'hassle free'. Even since, I've been browsing Lexus CTs... Where does it end? you know. And even the CT has a dated infotainment system, has the same poor reviews amongst competitors like the Avensis and DS3 did despite being relatively well priced and specced. That's why it's not such a 'no brainer' to just get the Lexus as most people assume it should be.

Don't get me wrong, this weekend as much as I've been joyful of the thought of Panda ownership, I am giving it serious thought. It is a completely different class, and it too is long in the tooth just like the Avensis and DS3 for their competition. It will be noisier. It will lean around the corners dramatically more. It has some relatively less promising safety characteristics. It has no smart safety tech. It probably won't be so comfortable on the annual trip to Dublin ...

But what I'm focusing on here is that I never had to worry about scratching the interior when I cleaned it. I ruined the DS3 shiny dash inserts in the first month. There's similar marks on the Avensis grey trim pieces too. The soft touch panels, if you have anything lean on them, get permanently marked. I clipped it last year in the work car park because I turned too soon and that was £600 out of pocket to put right, and months of bad paint that cost another £100 to put right. There's the fear of the BMW engine not lasting very long or well. Or the constant over working of its turbo leading to a short engine life. It cost me £600 to put some quality tyres on it - fine but the Panda won't cost that. Maybe half that for a set of four. What I'm getting at is, the DS3 and Avensis are nice cars compared to my old Fiats. But as such, I expect them to be perfect and in reality they can't be. The Panda's I had, both, they took light scratches, bumps and wear and tear gracefully. They're straightforward, they've got style, they cost peanuts to run. And now that I have the money to throw at my cars - which I have - doesn't mean I think it's the right thing to focus on. Yet I don't want to run around in an Avensis with cheap tat tyres or lousy components. Even the paper flat carpet in my Pandas was easier to clean than the relatively lush stuff on the Avensis. Took two months of hassle with AutoGlass to get the windscreen fixed right... first poor quality glass, bad fit, then the sensor not re-aligned.. lost a lot of sleep over that.

The year I had my 2017 Panda - June 19-June 20: I went on my first holiday abroad to Amsterdam, booked more weekends away, got a new job, graduated, went over on trips to England and Scotland, did the coastal route multiple times, must have been to Belfast and back nearly weekly around November-February time. I spent a lot more focus and money on other parts of life that led to better memories. When I bought that, that was the 'car' part of my life accounted for, by my own definition at the time, I had made it. Didn't need to worry about it. I changed the oil. Put new tyres on it when it needed two. Must have waxed it nearly, if not every month! And I made a lot less back then, it never broke the bank. This year I've put a tonne into the Avensis but every time has been a little bit of a month or two of not spending elsewhere to avoid digging into savings or what have you.

I got rid of the Panda for stupid reasons. I remember it well. And it was largely boredom from lockdown - no real substance to the move. No real push factors scaring me away, if any, worrying too much what other people thought or might think. A few more years of experience and it's abundantly clear to me that: nobody else cares. Everybody else is worrying about their own life. When my car comes up they might notice it or say that it's not their cup of tea, but sure enough, nobody ever turns down me wanting to drive or even sitting in the back of any Panda I've owned :) But finally, it's just because I like the look of it. I liked driving it.

How many Fiat 500s are sold solely on the basis of how they look. Or VW Beetle re-makes. That in itself seems to be sustaining a major best seller on a big continent. So even if just for the fact I like how the Panda looks and how it makes me feel to drive - even if it pales in comparison to the other cars I've owned or is noisier etc. I think it's justified.

It'll take 8 weeks to sell my Avensis, if not more. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it came sooner. But equally given the model and the lack of interest in it in general, I think it will be a struggle. I might need to drop down the price, at most to settlement figure value... Hopefully not. Until then, it's thinking time. Lexus. Abarth. Panda.

One approach I had was this...

If my car doesn't sell (and lowering the price doesn't work) stuck with it. Keep it.
If it does sell, and the dealer here finds me a suitable Abarth, go for that. But the 595C Auto is rare, and so is a dealer working hard to find one.
If he finds me a suitable Panda, I'll buy that. (1.2, Lounge, low miles)
If not, there's always the CT.. but then .. there's always everything above.

It's not like I'm comparing three close cars in the same class here, they're each a totally different lifestyle, for a totally different buyer. I've still not figured out which of them I am.

Roughly 40mpg my wife drives the car, mainly to her work and back, so really short journeys probably about 20 miles a day tops.

We've been alternating between cheap supermarket E10 and the expensive E5 petrol, don't think the E5 is making much difference fuel economy wise, my wife drives with the ECO button off.
I'm getting around 45 in my Avensis. Petrol is a little bit cheaper than diesel here, usually is. I think it might bother me to be getting that low in a small car though.. the MPG puts me off the TwinAir despite it being a fun engine by all accounts from what I'm hearing

I'm getting around 45 in my Avensis. Petrol is a little bit cheaper than diesel here, usually is. I think it might bother me to be getting that low in a small car though.. the MPG puts me off the TwinAir despite it being a fun engine by all accounts from what I'm hearing

Honestly the car is amazing it's like driving a tractor and I mean that in a good way, you're in second gear within seconds and away, reminds me very much of a van, just a great car all round, can't wait to see how it performs in winter.

We bought it on a complete whim, quite fancied the normal Panda and ordered one (pre-reg) then spotted that AC had a black 4 x 4 in Edinburgh and tried to buy that but it had sold by the time we enquired about it then saw the car we have online for about £1000 more than the hybrid and cancelled the hybrid and bought the 4X4.

This all came about because my son's three and a half year old 1.4 Fiesta Zetec had to have the clutch replaced at 13,000 miles, the balloon payment was due (November this year) so we decided to trade it in, he got my wife's 2016 Fiesta Zetec eco drive and we got the Panda:cool:

Re dreadful mpg of twin air, it took me a very long time but I am now getting 46mpg running around and between 46 and 60 on a long run. Best long run, albeit in desparation as the fuel stations were all dry, was 62.
I'm quite scared of turbocharged engines now. Especially those with 'eco' design and claims.

The DS3 had a 1.6 with 120hp, fairly high for a small car. You had to plant your foot before it kicked in, but when it did it was like sitting on top of a rocket and it just didn't stop until you were at silly speeds quite quickly. It got 60+ mpg and that was with me very much enjoying the speed too much. It was barely under load and if it was, you waited a few seconds to make sure you asked for it.

The Avensis on the other hand.. You can't pull away slowly without hearing a very obvious air suction sound. The thing can't move, at all, without the turbo taking what sounds like a deep breath. Even letting off the accelerator once it's in motion, you head and feel the turbo pausing. Then as you drop to say... 28mph, lightly push to get to 30mph... there it goes, turbo is fully engaged again for a split second. The thing simply can't move without it on-off-on-off and that's what I blame for the low MPG. I got a speeding fine for the first time a couple of months ago and since then, you can bet I'm locked on the limited all the time. Even with gentle driving, adhering to the gear shift indicator, long journeys, 45-48 is all I'll get. I realised that driving fast or not, the turbo is constantly engaged. Toyota advises to let the engine run for 20 seconds before shutting it off on a long journey to let the turbo cool with the cars cooling system rather than ambient cooling from the outside air. Not sure if that's standard practice, but the fan will nearly always be on for a while when it's just switched off.

And that beautiful little 1.2 8v engine in my original Panda... 10-15 years old. BONE DRY. Oil didn't even turn black fully between changes. A seal went once... big DIY job, then after that, back to bone dry. No turbo at all. When I change the oil in my mums Mazda 6 (1.6 petrol) I take it for a short test drive and check there's no trail of oil... That on an open road is more responsive. You feel the power build. SLOWLY. But it's there. And it keeps going - SLOWLY - but my god, is it steady, predictable.... and all I can think of is just how gracefully that engine will age. No high pressure. No heavy load at all times. No turbo repairs or decay... I nearly think it's worth having a slow car for the piece of mind now.

Modern turbos don't need a cool down period, that was more from the days when they didn't have water cooling. 5 seconds at most, usually by the time you've parked is always enough.

I know i might need to change car soon, but can't see anything i like in a decent price range. I've no desire to change right now either, unless a Porsche or similar was to lane on my drive. Mine does everything and drives as i want, but don't like any of the newer options even for the same car.

Modern turbos don't need a cool down period, that was more from the days when they didn't have water cooling. 5 seconds at most, usually by the time you've parked is always enough.

I know i might need to change car soon, but can't see anything i like in a decent price range. I've no desire to change right now either, unless a Porsche or similar was to lane on my drive. Mine does everything and drives as i want, but don't like any of the newer options even for the same car.
Couldnt agree more. The additions are all just marketing stye accessories. If you have them fine, but nothing that is any major improvement. I keep looking to see what I might buy next and the only thing on the market I like are the Suzuki's. The Vitara is too big for me and the Ignis is dreadfully slow after a twinair Im not sure if I could stand it. You cant test drive the 4x4 either so Suzuki are not really interested in customers which is a concern The TA can deliver economy if you dont use the power. That is the difficulty as it delivers its power so easily. It also goes rather well if you choose to push along. Ther just arnt any obvious alternatives. Added to this the warm satisfaction from knowing you will get home whatever the eather does makes it a hard act to follow. I bet the new so called Panda will be kinormous and probably kinheavy. If it ever appears, which I somewhat doubt we shall see. I am not expecting anything good though.

There’s a nice Cross at motor point. Incorrectly labelled (and priced) as a city cross. What’s your fuel economy like with the 4x4 TA?
You really need to drive what you're buying, cos, as you know I hated the Twinair. A 500 would be close enough I'd imagine (to at least tell you if it's a no).

The 1.2 City Cross has the Lounge spec plus climate (my personal favourite item). Prices are just as daft as all Panda prices of course.

From personal experience a Panda drives way nicer than a 500. More fun too.

That's just my opinion from owing both., I'm sure people may disagree. I'd definitely look at that Cross at Motorpoint though.

'63 plate TA 4x4 84k miles turns in 37mpg regular as clockwork (mainly local runs up to 10 miles) driven enthusiastically, while trying to keep it below 4000 rpm (TA owners will know that's not easy!). If I really want to I can get it to turn in well over 42mpg with a more anticipatory driving style and easily get this on the occasional longer run. E5 super grades help the mileage too (but benefit is of course balanced by cost). Oh and loads of lovely torque...

You really need to drive what you're buying, cos, as you know I hated the Twinair. A 500 would be close enough I'd imagine (to at least tell you if it's a no).

The 1.2 City Cross has the Lounge spec plus climate (my personal favourite item). Prices are just as daft as all Panda prices of course.
Exactly..

Spend time in a twinar..
See what you think 🙂

Any twinair.. 😉
Even s 500l pope mobile.. Or an AlfaMito

I'm quite scared of turbocharged engines now. Especially those with 'eco' design and claims.

The DS3 had a 1.6 with 120hp, fairly high for a small car. You had to plant your foot before it kicked in, but when it did it was like sitting on top of a rocket and it just didn't stop until you were at silly speeds quite quickly. It got 60+ mpg and that was with me very much enjoying the speed too much. It was barely under load and if it was, you waited a few seconds to make sure you asked for it.

The Avensis on the other hand.. You can't pull away slowly without hearing a very obvious air suction sound. The thing can't move, at all, without the turbo taking what sounds like a deep breath. Even letting off the accelerator once it's in motion, you head and feel the turbo pausing. Then as you drop to say... 28mph, lightly push to get to 30mph... there it goes, turbo is fully engaged again for a split second. The thing simply can't move without it on-off-on-off and that's what I blame for the low MPG. I got a speeding fine for the first time a couple of months ago and since then, you can bet I'm locked on the limited all the time. Even with gentle driving, adhering to the gear shift indicator, long journeys, 45-48 is all I'll get. I realised that driving fast or not, the turbo is constantly engaged. Toyota advises to let the engine run for 20 seconds before shutting it off on a long journey to let the turbo cool with the cars cooling system rather than ambient cooling from the outside air. Not sure if that's standard practice, but the fan will nearly always be on for a while when it's just switched off.

And that beautiful little 1.2 8v engine in my original Panda... 10-15 years old. BONE DRY. Oil didn't even turn black fully between changes. A seal went once... big DIY job, then after that, back to bone dry. No turbo at all. When I change the oil in my mums Mazda 6 (1.6 petrol) I take it for a short test drive and check there's no trail of oil... That on an open road is more responsive. You feel the power build. SLOWLY. But it's there. And it keeps going - SLOWLY - but my god, is it steady, predictable.... and all I can think of is just how gracefully that engine will age. No high pressure. No heavy load at all times. No turbo repairs or decay... I nearly think it's worth having a slow car for the piece of mind now.
Fiat TA engine trots out upto 100bhp (105?) depending on car its fitted too so 1.6 @ 120hp is a fairly relaxed drive ;) Although if it were a 1.6 diesel I'm sure the produced torque would have you hanging on.

I'm not sure the TA has any appreciable turbo lag which I think is what you are indirectly describing above(?). As for turbo maintenance, I've a Volvo 940 LP Turbo estate on 208kmiles (2.3 petrol) a Merc E270CDI turbo diesel on 234kmiles and Panda 4x4 TA on 84kmiles all on original turbos (and engines) and, key to longevity(?), all get regular oil changes. The Volvo suffered a coolant leak 50k miles ago and when I pulled over and popped the bonnet (it was dark) the manifold around the turbo was glowing dull red (no coolant remember) yet still it soldiers on... I think you are overthinking this; I think you've said previously you finance your cars, on that basis I think I'd be keeping my costs down (unless someone else funds your vehicles).

Definitely will drive a TwinAir before making any big decision. I think all that aside, it's also about how new it is.. when did they stop making them? One or two oil changes (even at a dealer if they're a skimpy one like our local) - if it's not using the right Selenia oil (I think that's what it's called) then it might be headed for disaster.. Do you folks use the Fiat recommended brand oil for them?
From personal experience a Panda drives way nicer than a 500. More fun too.

That's just my opinion from owing both., I'm sure people may disagree. I'd definitely look at that Cross at Motorpoint though.
I had a new 19 plate 500 for a week when my Panda was in getting warranty work a few years ago. It was quite fun and nippy but getting the Panda back felt more solid, thicker wheel and all that (despite it being plastic and whatnot). Both had the 1.2. But I was happy to get back into the Panda! :)

Exactly..

Spend time in a twinar..
See what you think 🙂

Any twinair.. 😉
Even s 500l pope mobile.. Or an AlfaMito
I liked the 500L, design wise! Nobody else likes them.. but what worries me is, nobody on here (owners as well) seem to really like them. As much as they want to, apparently the quality was poor? I do see some 2019 models, higher spec... and I like the sound of that Lavazza coffee maker accessory! Used to be a nice yellow one parked in Londonderry along the quay. Must have since been traded in. Bright, Italian spirited cars! Can't imagine the TwinAir in a big one, but maybe the 1.6 as mentioned

Fiat TA engine trots out upto 100bhp (105?) depending on car its fitted too so 1.6 @ 120hp is a fairly relaxed drive ;) Although if it were a 1.6 diesel I'm sure the produced torque would have you hanging on.

I'm not sure the TA has any appreciable turbo lag which I think is what you are indirectly describing above(?). As for turbo maintenance, I've a Volvo 940 LP Turbo estate on 208kmiles (2.3 petrol) a Merc E270CDI turbo diesel on 234kmiles and Panda 4x4 TA on 84kmiles all on original turbos (and engines) and, key to longevity(?), all get regular oil changes. The Volvo suffered a coolant leak 50k miles ago and when I pulled over and popped the bonnet (it was dark) the manifold around the turbo was glowing dull red (no coolant remember) yet still it soldiers on... I think you are overthinking this; I think you've said previously you finance your cars, on that basis I think I'd be keeping my costs down (unless someone else funds your vehicles).
I'm done with diesels. They have advantages sure, but too many drawbacks. I've known quite a lot of folks who truly do put the foot down or drive 50+ miles a day to their jobs who have still been faced with no choice but a £1,000+ 'carbon clean out' at the dealer.. Let alone, a fragile, below reputable BMW derived engine! I probably am overthinking it. Put it this way, if there is hope that any of them last long, it'll be my Avensis. 6k oil changes / 6 months, genuine oil, filters etc - no room for it to come down to user error in servicing.. That's if it doesn't sell and I keep it.

Do the bigger Mercs have Mercedes diesels? I know the 1.5 is a Renault, heard bad things about the A-Class with those.. I had a 2021 CLA220D for two months, I think it was a 2.0, was that a Renault or a Mercedes diesel? Funny thing about that car was in eco mode, it actually was as frugal as my DS3. Avensis has a drinking problem, but no cool party trick performance to justify it :-/

They are on finance but I've always had the intention to keep them 'forever' then lasted about 1 year / 1.5 years... this time I'd be doing PCP instead and taking a more conservative approach to servicing for sure - given that past patters suggest not holding on to it forever.

Fiat stopped taking orders for the Panda Cross TA a year ago (the one with the touchscreen) and the final cars have recently been delivered to their owners. You may find one or two still in the dealer network that customers have cancelled, but I'd be quick.

If you want my opinion, I'd buy the newest Panda TA you can afford with your budget. As I said above, that one at Motorpoint looks a fantastic buy for the age, price and mileage, but if you don't want a 4x4, then I'm sure you'll find a Panda Lounge TA from a dealer somewhere.

As Panda IIs says above, you're over thinking things. The Panda TA is economical, reliable, cheap to run and maintain. It's a cracking engine and like any car, you look after it and it will look after you. Go and look at one, drive it, do a deal and buy one, you won't regret it trust me. Service it regularly using decent oil and parts from a reputable dealer (main or specialist) and you'll have a great, reliable car that'll last you for many years. I'm on my third one now and they have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

What's not to like..

Fiat stopped taking orders for the Panda Cross TA a year ago (the one with the touchscreen) and the final cars have recently been delivered to their owners. You may find one or two still in the dealer network that customers have cancelled, but I'd be quick.

If you want my opinion, I'd buy the newest Panda TA you can afford with your budget. As I said above, that one at Motorpoint looks a fantastic buy for the age, price and mileage, but if you don't want a 4x4, then I'm sure you'll find a Panda Lounge TA from a dealer somewhere.

As Panda IIs says above, you're over thinking things. The Panda TA is economical, reliable, cheap to run and maintain. It's a cracking engine and like any car, you look after it and it will look after you. Go and look at one, drive it, do a deal and buy one, you won't regret it trust me. Service it regularly using decent oil and parts from a reputable dealer (main or specialist) and you'll have a great, reliable car that'll last you for many years. I'm on my third one now and they have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

What's not to like..
I like the Motorpoint Cross, and I'd love a 4x4 model. The stinginess of similar MPG to my Avensis is putting me off a little, but perhaps it's not too bad in the real world. My DS3 and Panda's - I could fill up, and drive every day of the week, even just for the sake of it and I wasn't out of pocket. That said, my current issue is there is no benefit to gentle driving. Sounds like with the TwinAir, that is an option?

Right now, where I'm at is waiting for something to happen / sell the Avensis. It's posted on AutoTrader - but so far, nothing. Got the better part of 8 weeks left to run.. Only then can I be serious about a particular car.

The Motorpoint one is the most realistic, I got my last Panda from there and had a positive experience. Looks like that one I listed was in transit to another store... potential buyer will snap it up soon. But Motorpoint tends to always have a few in stock.

My 2017 TA 4x4 was a thirsty thing and I couldnt coax more than 50mpg from it. My 2019 says it does 46.5 running around and about 51 on a long run, I have travelled from Manchester to Norwich at 62mpg when I needed to use no fuel due to shortages. If you are driving it fast it does drop to 37. The 1.2s do 45-47 running around and up to 63mpg on a run with little real effort.

Last edited:
So... there are many manufacturers doing mild hybrids whilst driving them through manual gearboxes to tick some boxes and give a low cost option(£300)compared to full hybrid(£4k).

We've had
2005 1.2 petrol panda 60hp
2013 1.2 petrol panda 69hp vvc
2021 1.0 mild hybrid sport red
My mother has 0.9 4x4panda 85hp 2014.
My brother has 1.4 100hp 2007.

So I feel I'm quite versed on the differences.

Your main choices are 1.2 69hp upto 2021, 0.9twin upto 2021. 1.0 hybrid from 2021.

Below is based upon mixed driving

The 1.2 69hp will give fair to good economy 43 to 45mpg however driven all day long and with an oil change every year and belt when appropriate and likely to have aircon. Its going to have drum rear brakes for simplicity. Motoring Joy and if you find one before 2017march its super cheap roadtax.
The 0.9 85hp will be quite fun with the turbo output, they often are higher spec in the trimming and options fitments probably have phone connectivity blue and me. With the 4x4 I get 40 to 42mpg but its likely to have those noisy rear disc brakes.
The 1.0 hybrid Is just a bigger alternator and a battery pack under the passenger seat and a 30kmh and below start stop system. They can be absolutely driven like a regular manual car and will give about 5% more economy 46 to 48mpg(than the 1.2 engine it replaced). However if you feel you wish to engage with the system (Takes about 2 weeks driving to workout how to get the best out of it)You can get more E braking recharge/regen, you can care for more pedestrians as you drive in busy areas by using the start stop system even while moving upto 30kmh. The 3 cylinder hybrid sport we have seems to have a sports exhaust so when being revved over 4k seems to sound like a V6. Basically you can drive it like a 1.2 or if you wish you can push it and have some fun but not doing silly speeds. The engine loosens up at about 8k miles but before this 6th gear seems long ( you may need to go into 5th on long motorway hills).
I would rate the hybrid as the one you will likely hold onto longer if you go for a hybrid sport after July 2021 when android auto/apple carplay became standard fitment but invest in a set of 16 inch Abarth 500 painted wheels with winter tyres on the protect the diamond cut alloys from winter salt. The 3 cylinder engine is very quiet at motorway speeds.

We specced ours up with red paint, heated screen and seats. thermostatic heater and aircan. Parking sensors and even a spare wheel. But sadly ours is pre standard fit of the carplay/android system.

In conclusion search out a black/white/metalic silver hybrid sport after July 2021 and see if you can do a long test drive but protect those alloy wheels.

Have Fun.

Tim Milnes

Back