General 1.3 MJ owners - What’s your idle speed? Is mine too low??

Currently reading:
General 1.3 MJ owners - What’s your idle speed? Is mine too low??

Hmm, I wonder if it is more to do with setting the needle to the right start point before reconnecting the power?

Just found THIS VIDEO, when watching through the various stages you can see the needles position changing.

Will try just moving to correct rest position before trying force.
Not sure I'd be worried about this at all! Now if the rev limiter wasn't working (and it was a TA) then I'd be worried! ;)

Sorted today. If you find yourself in this predicament then gently wind the needle anti-clockwise on the spindle until at 0. Put key in ignition on position but engine not running, it’ll lift a little. Ignition off again and move it s as anti clock by the amount it lifted by, it’ll be slightly below 0. Check needle lifts to 0 with ignition on, if not right then ignition off and readjust. When winding anti clock around spindle make sure not lifting needle as it’ll eventually come off. Do not worry me clockwise, potentiometer doesn’t appear to have such a firm stop in that direction.

Reassemble before kids get near it!

Not sure I'd be worried about this at all! Now if the rev limiter wasn't working (and it was a TA) then I'd be worried! ;)
I wouldnae be too worried bout it either, I tend to drive by a combo of noise/feel and instant consumption.

It is a useful tool for giving the wife an indication of when to change though, she’s an over-revver in diesels. It’s like she thinks she is still in her MkII Fiesta XR2, keeps her foot in too long. I have to avert my eyes from the IC gauge!

So I tell her no real need to go above x on the flat and y on the hills, also don’t drop below z if needing to accelerate. So an accurate gauge helps!

Ref THIS VIDEO I definitely need a spudger in my life - not sure what for yet, but...
I may have to collect spudgers, there’s bound to be more than one size required, and wodgits too. They’re undoubtedly going to be handy!

Back