General 1.3 MJ owners - What’s your idle speed? Is mine too low??

Currently reading:
General 1.3 MJ owners - What’s your idle speed? Is mine too low??

I’ve not consciously looked at and registered the idle speed of our wee green tractor since I bought it, but just happened to glance at it today whilst at the lights. As per the pic below it sits at 500rpm, which struck me as low. It sits there turning smoothly without vibration, so it doesn’t feel too low, I just thought it ought to be a bit higher.

Is it low? What’s your idle?

IMG_0902.jpeg

This is what a 2012 Autodata says.
My daughters 06 Grande Punto 1.3MJ used to idle around 750rpm , you could check it against a diagnostic tool for more accuracy than the instrument panel rev counter, but if it is running hapily and not stalling I would think it OK.;)

Attachments

• DSCF1034.JPG
    DSCF1034.JPG
    443.3 KB · Views: 23
I’ve got an OBD Bluetooth thing I haven’t taken out of the packet yet, so I’ll use that to check the accuracy.

I’m a little paranoid I guess as I took the clocks out yesterday!

Has anyone got any in gear speeds as a comparison please? 2014 4x4 on factory size tyres. 2000rpm in 5th was 60mph on the way to work today IIRC.

I’ve got an OBD Bluetooth thing I haven’t taken out of the packet yet, so I’ll use that to check the accuracy.

I’m a little paranoid I guess as I took the clocks out yesterday!

Has anyone got any in gear speeds as a comparison please? 2014 4x4 on factory size tyres. 2000rpm in 5th was 60mph on the way to work today IIRC.
Mine does 1500 rpm at 30mph in fourth, or 1500rpm at 40 in fifth. On a motorway an indicated 70mph is about 2700 rpm (although the GPS speed shows its doing 66mph then). According to tabes I found somewhere, 70mph = 2800rpm in fifth.

I have only owned the earlier models 2007 and 08 K = before DPF

But 500 rpm sounds low to me
My recollection is COLD starts add @100rpm @=20% 🤔

So 500 rpm as a Constant doesn't "feel" right
But as I say... I don't have YOUR KIT 🙂
See how a good diagnostic tool compares with your instrument panel reading which may not be digitally correct, a bit like speedo readings.;)

See how a good diagnostic tool compares with your instrument panel reading which may not be digitally correct, a bit like speedo readings.;)
I’ll get that OBD thing sorted later and download an app, I think it’s defo wrong!

Mine does 1500 rpm at 30mph in fourth, or 1500rpm at 40 in fifth. On a motorway an indicated 70mph is about 2700 rpm (although the GPS speed shows its doing 66mph then). According to tabes I found somewhere, 70mph = 2800rpm in fifth.

When driving to work this morn I found approx 1300 at 30 in 4th, and accelerating in 4th from that speed felt too smooth to be at those revs, felt like higher revs and turbo spooling straightaway. 70 in 5th was showing just below 2500.

Now, next question. Where does your needle sit when the engine is off? I had clocks out, my 11 yr old child had a look at them, remarked how the needles wobbled around when you turned it over. As I had the cover off it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that a finger may have prodded at the needle… So here’s a pic of where my needle sits at rest. What does yours do?

IMG_0929.jpeg

Notice the speedo needle rests at 0, the rpm needle drops below that. So it may just potentially be the needle has been moved on the shaft of the potentiometer.

I’ll get that OBD thing sorted later and download an app, I think it’s defo wrong!

When driving to work this morn I found approx 1300 at 30 in 4th, and accelerating in 4th from that speed felt too smooth to be at those revs, felt like higher revs and turbo spooling straightaway. 70 in 5th was showing just below 2500.

Now, next question. Where does your needle sit when the engine is off? I had clocks out, my 11 yr old child had a look at them, remarked how the needles wobbled around when you turned it over. As I had the cover off it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that a finger may have prodded at the needle… So here’s a pic of where my needle sits at rest. What does yours do?

View attachment 432594

Notice the speedo needle rests at 0, the rpm needle drops below that. So it may just potentially be the needle has been moved on the shaft of the potentiometer.
That I think is your problem - mine sits on zero with engine off. And 1500 at 30mph in fourth - similar offset?

Also, never really noticed before, mine has the kph figures outside of the mph?

(Photo has engine off but key on as its getting dark :) )
1698510825097.jpeg

Last edited:
That I think is your problem - mine sits on zero with engine off. And 1500 at 30mph in fourth - similar offset?

Thanks for the pic. Yes, similar offset against in gear speeds.

Connected OBD to an app on way home. Shows idle hovering around 840-850.

During drive revs from OBD consistently around 350ish higher than the needle. Pesky kids.

Now, how to fix…🤔

I’m wondering whether to pop em out again, push the needle round to the opposite stop point and put a little pressure on, see if the needle can be moved the opposite way on the pot. But I’m a little scared about trying it and stuffing it altogether!

I’m wondering whether to pop em out again, push the needle round to the opposite stop point and put a little pressure on, see if the needle can be moved the opposite way on the pot. But I’m a little scared about trying it and stuffing it altogether!
That was going to be my suggestion, and concern :)

Hmm, I wonder if it is more to do with setting the needle to the right start point before reconnecting the power?

Just found THIS VIDEO, when watching through the various stages you can see the needles position changing.

Will try just moving to correct rest position before trying force.

Back