Technical What’s this in my intake manifold?

Currently reading:
Technical What’s this in my intake manifold?

Decided to remove the throttle body to create easier access for my arm and hand to get to the EGR bolts. Throttle body fairly funky, and then there is this super gunked up part sticking out of the intake, see pic below. It’s not pictured on ePER it seems. What is it? Been more of a petrol person until now, so am unsure…
IMG_1687.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

It is not a part , it is a mixture of soot from exhaust fumes via the exhaust gas recirculation valve and oil fumes from the crankcase breather system.

Well that’s what the gunge is, but what is the part it has gunged over? There’s a solid probe/part of some sort under the gunge.

Basically wanna know what it looks like/what it is that I’m trying to expose, so I know how to treat/scrape it in the cleaning.

Not in the parts diagram ....looks very much like just gunge to me not stuck on anything.

Scraped it off carefully. Fairly solid metal item underneath, it’s a pipe that’s crimped flat at the end and has 4 ports around it. 2 of them were fully sealed over with crud.

Initially thought it’s perhaps some sort of air flow sensor, pressure sensor etc. But no filament inside the holes. No obvious associated wiring either.

Looking at ePER again and it’s some sort of nozzle for EGR flow through the inlet. This bugger…

IMG_1697.jpeg

Back