snow socks

Currently reading:
snow socks

I have some weissock snow socks can't speak for Asda ones but mine definitely work.

Few years ago I did the classic thing of driving into a slightly downhill car park with snow on it...it was alright till I attempted a u turn in the fresh snow at the bottom and got well stuck. Popped them on pulled forward out of where I'd stopped 3 point turn and parked up. Went back later...everyone was stuck...got a few rather nasty looks as I hopped in and drove off like it was dry...been more than once its been totally stuck and used them to escape

Have to stick to back roads though they disintegrate on cleared roads or over 30mph

Last edited:
Have to stick to back roads though they disintegrate on cleared roads or over 30mph

Had mine 6 years now, used a few times each year for local journeys - so probably 50miles per year?
They are only just showing signs of wear. All the journeys were main roads, tesco car park etc, no back roads involved.
I got loads of comments in tesco car park - theres a bit of a slope from the entrance to the store & it was like a skating rink. While everyone else was sliding all over, I drove in & parked uyp without problem. People were stopping me to ask about the socks.

I've noticed many local tyre places have sold out or limited stocks of snow tyres - they say a fool and his money are soon parted. Why replace part worn with new snow tyres on the offchance? We had a sprinkle last week which caused no problem & doubt we'll get aqbove an inch or so tomorrow.

I paid under £50 for the socks - absolute bargain.

Yep, worth the money. I've only ever got stuck once, and that's when I used them and they got me out of trouble. Was surrounded by my mates in their land rovers who wanted to tow me out, but being the persistent buggar I wanted to get myself out, and I did.

Got them in the boot ATM, they're not Asda ones mind, but I have got a set of Asda socks for mums Yaris / the Pandas which use smaller wheels than the Bravo.

They work brilliantly!

I started to slide down a hill here, corrected it, pulled off the main road and put them on, never slipped an inch.

Just as a sort of test I got into a flat piece of road doing about 10mph in 1st and tried to put my foot down, they wouldn't wheelspin. (y)

One of the best purchases I've made for the car. :)

Dom

with out snow socks you feel like DK :) ... no need to worry its not like we have ALOT of snow ,,

Its the fact of - were due for 5 days of snow now....

Is it worth it?
Parents car is worth too much +RWD = Leave it at home
Mums is an ox - it keeps going
Mines light and sledge like - but my summer fronts are starting to slide a lil
Brothers astra dont move

ziggy

Well they are the difference between stuck:

And getting out like a Boss

Next door are actually stuck and have phoned in to work...there were some comedy tyre tracks from their car it moved a foot got stuck and was reversed back..

Other than a bit of clutch whiff due to the drag of the snow no worries.

I don't doubt that snow socks do the job, but I couldn't be doing with having to fit them and take them off. With winter tyres they're fit and forget :)

They were 60 quid 4 years ago....seen me through the worst winters of recent times. And I don't have a spare pile of wheels in my shed year round. That and putting them on takes about a minute taking them off half that. Tbf if I was planning on keeping this car for the long haul then I'd probably have winter tyres. But in may I'll have had the swift 5 years and the OH is on at me to get something a bit bigger and more practical so I don't see them paying.

Last edited:
Back