General Panda 1.1 engine query, possible 1.2?

Currently reading:
General Panda 1.1 engine query, possible 1.2?

Adiebear

Hi All,
I have recently bought a 2004 1.1 panda active. I bought it with a cooked engine which unfortunately was beyond repair. I have just bought another engine from ebay which I am told is out of a 2006 1.1 Panda. The engine turned up fine but there are a few differences and I am wondering if they sent me a 1.2, or did Fiat just change a few things on the 1.1 over the period 2004-2006? The engine was sent with no ancilleries by the way

First thing is on the old engine the coil packs fitted on the end of cylinder head and the old engine has a hole where you can see the end of the camshaft, the new engine does not have a hole just a casting, this means I will need to modify the coil mount.

2,- The old engine has a square shaped oil filler cap at the back of the left hand side of the cam cover, the new engine has a circular oil filler cap at the front of the cam cover on the left hand side.

3, The crank auxillery belt pulley is different- the new engine has a deeper body, this meant the alternator was out of alignment and I had to make spacers to line everything up correctly.

Lastly ( that I know of!) the spark plug threads are smaller on the new engine than the old.

I have fitted the engine and it runs fine but I need to know if its 1.1 or 1.2 re ordering parts etc.

I cant find any numbers that seem to relate to engine size on the head or block

Appreciate any help you can give peeps!

Cheers

hi,
having a screw-on oil filler cap / rather than the older style rubber bung..,
points to it being the later version of FIRE engine,

:yeahthat:

Was done with the 'eco' engines I believe, our 2009 1.2 has the round filler.

2006 1.1 or 1.2 should still be square oil filler though I believe.

I'm pretty sure the Haynes manual (don't have mine to hand so can't check unfortunately) has a couple of pages and photos explaining the changes between the various engines - I guess their thinking was to enable owners to establish exactly which engine/model they had. Could be a good reason for you to buy one....

Cheers for the replies, appreciated. Sorry about the delay, I thought my phone would flag up any replies. ..obviously not :eek:

Cant see the engine number in the normal place.

Will order a Haynes manual if it has the change info- handy!

The car is all up and running now, modified all the little bits and pieces. Only problem now us its running very rich, when I disconnect the idle control the emissions come down to normal, connect it again and the co leaps to 11% , a tad rich! Ordered a second hand throttle body from ebay do will give that a try.

Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Back