Technical Panda 1.1 2006 starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 1.1 2006 starting problem

Sounds flooded, remove the fuel supple and it fires until the left over fuel is used up

What's the MAP sensor look like, covered in oil or mayo
IMG_20240128_203506.jpg

You can leave the cable connected

Just undo the one torx screw

Maybe on the other side of the intake if it's a flyby wire throttle instead of cable

Last edited:
I have rechecked that the timing belt is set up correctly. I took the camshaft cover off so that I could see the valves and it's definitely set up correctly. With everything back together the engine won't start. But if I disconnect the plug for the fuel pump and level gauge at the fuel tank then the engine runs briefly! The error message recorded is Fuel level indicator circuit A, as expected. There is no mention in the manual of anything that check the fuel pressure and I cannot see anything that appears to do that on the car.

Any suggestions?

I have rechecked that the timing belt is set up correctly. I took the camshaft cover off so that I could see the valves and it's definitely set up correctly. With everything back together the engine won't start.
Don't we already the timing is okay as it runs
Disconnect the pipe and it runs for short while. Reconnect it and it won't fire. I'm baffled.

But if I disconnect the plug for the fuel pump and level gauge at the fuel tank then the engine runs briefly!
Isn't that just disconnecting the pipe at the other end
The error message recorded is Fuel level indicator circuit A, as expected.
Unplug the wires going to fuel guage sender, yep its going to report the cuicuit isn't wotking
There is no mention in the manual of anything that check the fuel pressure and I cannot see anything that appears to do that on the car.
There isn't any thing on the pertrol
Any suggestions?
I have no idea at the moment

We can't help without proper feedback

We have no response to post 42

We keep jumping all over the place

Post #42 = MAP sensor

What is its condition? @barrycash
varesecrazy sorry if I seem to have ignored your post. I really do appreciate all the suggestions members have put forward. It's just become overwhelming. I haven't had a working car since christmas day!
I have removed the MAP sensor as suggested and there was some oil on it. I have cleaned it up as thoroughly as I can and also it's location.
I tried starting the car with:
MAP sensor removed and disconnected.
MAP sensor removed but connected.
MAP sensor back in position and connected.
The engine doesn't run in any of these configurations.

Okay we have oil on the MAP sensor
The compression test results reddot:
No 1 100 psi
No 2 118 psi
No 3 115 psi
No 4 75 psi
Does anyone know what the pressure should be?

We need to retest as something is radically wrong with the results, they are only 50% of what they should be around 215 psi

Either the engine isn't turning over fast enough

The results are wrong

Or we have a fundimetal problem

I suspect the results are wrong

I find the cone works best I get leaks with the screw in tube and adapter

IMG_20240208_211313.jpg

This is what i use

Last edited:
sounds very much like the crank sensor may have died as map sensor produces erratic symptoms but it would occasionally fire....
Next check the key is working, immobiliser may not be connecting with the key. I'd also check if you are getting a spark by pulling a plug lead off and sticking a plug on it, touch it to metal on the engine and get someone to turn the key and you see if the plug has a spark.

sounds very much like the crank sensor may have died as map sensor produces erratic symptoms but it would occasionally fire....
Next check the key is working, immobiliser may not be connecting with the key. I'd also check if you are getting a spark by pulling a plug lead off and sticking a plug on it, touch it to metal on the engine and get someone to turn the key and you see if the plug has a spark.

With a basic poor starter, but fair runner maybe,

But with such poor compression figures I am still doubting the Top vs Bottom timing

A jumped belt is Far from unheard of with the 1108 in a 169 panda

An old thread.. But could well be relevant info

I have rechecked the compression.
No 1 90 psi
No 2 105 psi
No 3 95 psi
No 4 100 psi

I was also told that the lack of an error code doesn't mean the crankshaft sensor is OK and I should check its resistance. It should be between 1134 ohms and 1385 ohms. I removed the crankshaft sensor and measured the resistance - 1072ohms. It did produce an AC voltage when iron was passed by it. As it was out of range I thought it best to try a new one. The new one measured 1058 ohms, which surprised me, but since I had it, I tried it anyway. The car still doesn't start.

I'm beginning to think the only thing to do is jack up the air filter and drive a new car underneath it. Any further suggestions?

I have rechecked the compression.
No 1 90 psi
No 2 105 psi
No 3 95 psi
No 4 100 psi

I was also told that the lack of an error code doesn't mean the crankshaft sensor is OK and I should check its resistance. It should be between 1134 ohms and 1385 ohms. I removed the crankshaft sensor and measured the resistance - 1072ohms. It did produce an AC voltage when iron was passed by it. As it was out of range I thought it best to try a new one. The new one measured 1058 ohms, which surprised me, but since I had it, I tried it anyway. The car still doesn't start.

I'm beginning to think the only thing to do is jack up the air filter and drive a new car underneath it. Any further suggestions?
Going back to what someone else said, is the timing correct on the car ie pulleys lign up with the marks on the engine? You have spark in the plugs and you can hear the fuel pump priming for a few seconds when you turn the key..... 105 psi with the throttle pressed to the floor would be very low in my view if the engine spins over as normal on the key.

As I have already said a couple of times and others have

My car is 215 psi and yours is 100

Either the test gauge is wrong, it's not being test correctly

Or this is the problem

I just don't see the point of even looking at the Crank sensor, if we have a spark

We are jumping all over the place and getting nowhere,

100psi is not a good result, let's not just ignore this and move onto anything else randomly but let's deal with this first

Post a picture of the setup used to test the compression

Does the Compession change if tested wet

Last edited:
If it ran fairly well 6 weeks ago, and then produces cylinder pressures @50% of the anticipated figure that's a good indicator

Commonest failure would be head gasket.. But that's 2 cylinders.. You have all 4🤔

My money is on the valves NOT being closed,
Revisit the timing 😉

As told before, this is not unheard of on this motor

They run acceptably 1 or 2 teeth out,

Not at all on 7 (my 1.1 did that..)

Suggestion:
use your previous method to check the timing,
Once you are happy.

Physically mark the belt and cast marks,

Now move timing forward 2 marks

Lock up and try to start

No different..?

go 4 Back ( so minus 2 from your original setting)

This is a non. Interference engine 🙂

My 7 teeth out just got retimed and ran well for the next 50k and 7 years, then sold

It's still running now. 20 years old 👍

Last edited:
In case you missed it post #52 on here

Searching on google suggests a compression of 120 - 130 psi for a petrol engine is normal. My cylinders are all lower than this, but why would they all fail suddenly and together? I had the head gasket fail a couple of years ago, but the engine ran for ages like that. I checked the pressures by removing all the plugs and screwing the pipe from the pressure gauge into the cylinder and then turning the engine with the starter until the pressure stopped rising. The instructions with the gauge said not to use a wrench on the adaptor but screw it in by hand. I did this for each cylinder. I don't understand what is meant by checking it "wet".

I've checked the timing by removing the plugs and the camshaft cover. With the marks on the camshaft lined up, number 1 piston is at TDC, and the valves are both closed. How is it possible that the timing could be sufficently out for the engine not to fire at all?

Stop reading radom stuff on the internet

There's a lot of different engines, fuels around the world

Most of the information is legacy from old data that's rehashed, or not relivent to this engine

What you need is information about your engine

You need a pressure of around 100 psi just for combustion to possible, you are below that

Mine is 215 psi 1.2 2010 I have tested it a few times always over 200

That on a fairly weak
battery

Even the older low compression ratio puntos were 200 psi

You are either doing the test incorrectly
The gauge is faulty

Or this is your problem

Back