Technical Noisy Cabin (2020 Twin Air Cross 4x4) tyre choice maybe?

Currently reading:
Technical Noisy Cabin (2020 Twin Air Cross 4x4) tyre choice maybe?

Yes - they both fit -- but only on the Cross model.
The Non-cross 4x4 used a different wheel that the 185 eyes doesn't fit well on (more speciflcally they result in the tyre rubbing on the subframe)

Check that the wheels have ET30 stamped on them. If steel wheels that is by the bolt holes on the outside face of the wheel,. If allies it's on the back and can only be seen by taking a wheel off.
A 5mm front spacer replicates the Cross wheel offset and sorts the rubbing, allowing use of 185/65s on non-Cross 4x4s

The original factory fit (pre 2019 or so) would have been Goodyear Vector AllSeasons, which have a distinctive V-shaped groove pattern. Michelin Cross Climates are similar in performance and appearance. Both carry the '3 peaks and mountain snowflake' symbol, which means they are accepted as being snow tyres in Alpine regions of Europe. Also, the pre-2019 tyres were 185/65R15 tyres... after that they fitted narrower 175/65 summer tyres, typically Goodyear DuraGrip, which save a lot of fuel but are not much use on a 4x4 if its going to be used in mud, snow etc, (ref the RangeRover vs Panda 4x4 video)
OK, fronts are half worn or a tad more Hankook Kinnergy Eco 175/65 (hard to read but think those numbers were good) and the rears in better condition are Goodyear Duragrip Radial 175/65R15. I don't expect to need the 4x4 capabilities unless road weather turns, but wonder if two different makes of tyre will make a difference to cabin noise. I mean they would not be an issue on a regular car but ......

Yes - they both fit -- but only on the Cross model.
The Non-cross 4x4 used a different wheel that the 185 eyes doesn't fit well on (more speciflcally they result in the tyre rubbing on the subframe)

Check that the wheels have ET30 stamped on them. If steel wheels that is by the bolt holes on the outside face of the wheel,. If allies it's on the back and can only be seen by taking a wheel off.
I think they are Aluminium, they look the part, and nothing printed/stamped on there. It is a Cross btw.

OK, fronts are half worn or a tad more Hankook Kinnergy Eco 175/65 (hard to read but think those numbers were good) and the rears in better condition are Goodyear Duragrip Radial 175/65R15. I don't expect to need the 4x4 capabilities unless road weather turns, but wonder if two different makes of tyre will make a difference to cabin noise. I mean they would not be an issue on a regular car but ......
If you look up tyres they tell you the noise value. You’d think that eco means less grip at least in a straight line as essentially noise is related to friction. By eco do they mean less fuel, or less tyre wear 🤔

Anyhow, watching this one with interest as I know what it’s like to tune into sounds that most people just ignore, and want to get to bottom of it…

To quantify my reply above, my 2018 handbook states that the two wheel drive TwinAir Panda weighs 980kg, the 4x4 version 1090kg (the equivalent of carrying a couple of slim people as passengers). My diesel 4x4 is shown as 1125kg (and owing to the greater car weight, is allowed to tow 100kg more in a trailer too)
How kind to say put it that way.... or.. like carrying a Panda nut on the roof rack.

I do notice wheel bearings make noise when cornering even when the cars are new so maybe the weight is pushing them a bit too. I am still toying with sound proofing. Its only an issue on long runs and I dont do so mant these days.

or as my daughter so kindly puts it .... or one great big FB!!!

How kind to say put it that way.... or.. like carrying a Panda nut on the roof rack.

I do notice wheel bearings make noise when cornering even when the cars are new so maybe the weight is pushing them a bit too. I am still toying with sound proofing. Its only an issue on long runs and I dont do so mant these days.

or as my daughter so kindly puts it .... or one great big FB!!!
You’ve hit the nut on the roof rack there, long runs, noise… the whole reason I swapped my Giulietta for the panda was we didn’t use the G for long journeys as we have a T6 camper for that, the Panda especially the 4x4 is for rural access anywhere capability, that’s why I chose - and considering it’s pretty capable at the other stuff albeit a little agricultural it’s fantastic.

Normal noise aside, we need to help OP work out if there’s a issue or not…

You’ve hit the nut on the roof rack there, long runs, noise… the whole reason I swapped my Giulietta for the panda was we didn’t use the G for long journeys as we have a T6 camper for that, the Panda especially the 4x4 is for rural access anywhere capability, that’s why I chose - and considering it’s pretty capable at the other stuff albeit a little agricultural it’s fantastic.

Normal noise aside, we need to help OP work out if there’s a issue or not…
Yes I agree and I think the centre bearing may be at issue, and for the cost of the part I think its worth changing it straight out. Our Panda has just reached 19K. Its only weakness is, its noisy and you certainly can hear the tranmission and wheel bearings and those Michelins make a racket at 50 plus speed. Older transmissions tend to whine a little so add this on and its is a noisy car. The only way to decide whats out of the ordinary is to go drive others, so the best advice is go out nad take a few test drives of other 4x4s, noting the mileage and tyres. Or maybe ask a Fiat tech for an opinion. Everything else is guessing and speculation. Herts Hillhoper makes the point DONT ENGAGE OFF ROAD MODE unless its pretty bad conditions, i.e. complete snow cover or on soft ground as without a centre diff it will strain the driveline and could even break the transmission in extremis. This cant be overstated. The cars system is fantastic and can engage 4x4 so fast its almost imperceptible. Any second hand car could have been used by a bozo who thinks running in off road mode makes it better, while actually making the transmission wear worse and increasing lont term noise issues. Most people dont do this but its been said on here that a few do it. The only other thing to watch carefully is that dual mass flywheel, but thats usually going to vibrate and be fairly obvious. Also not worth bothering about until it needs doing as the cost is substantial.

Took it to local garage, he said there's a bearing somewhere but too feint to ID, suggests just using it till it becomes more identifiable. I do have a 12 month dealer warranty on this though there is an excess so probably on me for smaller stuff. I will look up the noise value of the tyres as suggested. This forum is a wonderful resource so thanks to all for the inputs. Car will be standing idle to 25 days from Monday, and hopefully I will be idle or have golf clubs in hand in 20+ temps, but between now and then will be reading avidly. (And whilst away of course, just no room for action).

Something else. As an owner of 3 days there's stuff I don't remember seeing before. On the speedo there's an ELD sign and another right under the boss of the pointer, (not sure what it is), ignition on both come up green and then go out, I assume this is just a normal system check. You might say, read the instructions but actually on a black and white manual that doesn't actually explain for idiots it's easier to ask. I think I mean ELD, trousers in the wash so not going to look right now, too many acronyms but a little pic that looks like a diff between two shafts.

Took it to local garage, he said there's a bearing somewhere but too feint to ID, suggests just using it till it becomes more identifiable. I do have a 12 month dealer warranty on this though there is an excess so probably on me for smaller stuff. I will look up the noise value of the tyres as suggested. This forum is a wonderful resource so thanks to all for the inputs. Car will be standing idle to 25 days from Monday, and hopefully I will be idle or have golf clubs in hand in 20+ temps, but between now and then will be reading avidly. (And whilst away of course, just no room for action).

Something else. As an owner of 3 days there's stuff I don't remember seeing before. On the speedo there's an ELD sign and another right under the boss of the pointer, (not sure what it is), ignition on both come up green and then go out, I assume this is just a normal system check. You might say, read the instructions but actually on a black and white manual that doesn't actually explain for idiots it's easier to ask. I think I mean ELD, trousers in the wash so not going to look right now, too many acronyms but a little pic that looks like a diff between two shafts.
Yes, self test.
ELD = Electronic locking Differential.
If you turn the control by the gear lever to off-road mode, this light will flash on if the car chooses to stop a wheel from spinning.

This might be your issue: - is that rotary control set to the ‘auto’ setting? It should be there all the time. If ‘off-road’ is selected you force (unnecessary) permanent four wheel drive, which will add noise and can break the transmission if selected while driving on grippy surfaces such as tarmac. It will though disengage this function once over 30mph (a clue, maybe?) and resume it as speed drops back to 30 again. Find the post about 4x4 juddering… that explains more fully b

Left in ‘auto’ mode the car will choose 4x4 by itself, but only when it’s needed. You don’t get any dash indicator showing when 4x4 is engaged, but you simply realise you haven’t got stuck :)

Last edited:
Yes, self test.
If you turn the control by the gear lever to off-road mode, this light will flash on if the car chooses to stop a wheel from spinning.

This might be your issue: - is that rotary control set to the ‘auto’ setting? It should be there all the time. If ‘off-road’ is selected you force (unnecessary) permanent four wheel drive, which will add noise and can break the transmission if selected while driving on grippy surfaces such as tarmac. It will though disengage this function once over 30mph (a clue, maybe?) and resume it as speed drops back to 30 again. Find the post about 4x4 juddering… that explains more fully b

Left in ‘auto’ mode the car will choose 4x4 by itself, but only when it’s needed. You don’t get any dash indicator showing when 4x4 is engaged, but you simply realise you haven’t got stuck :)
Bet that will be it 👏 not used that knob myself yet, even in snow it sorts itself

Yes, self test.

No it's in auto OK, just wondered why the green light came on before going off, hoping it didn't indicate the diff lock was active. Thanks.

ALSO, there has been another post where the 4x4 system did odd things and experienced juddering potentially owing to un-matched tyres. All 4 tyres should have the same rolling resistance (ie be the same make and type), and have roughly similar amounts of tread at the front and rear. The 4x4 system uses info from the wheel sensors to decide if it needs to engage 4x4 mode, but that info can be wrong if there are differences in grip or wheel size caused by tyre tread wear (apparently). You've already told us there are different tyres at each end of the car...

Last edited:
If you look up tyres they tell you the noise value. You’d think that eco means less grip at least in a straight line as essentially noise is related to friction. By eco do they mean less fuel, or less tyre wear 🤔

Anyhow, watching this one with interest as I know what it’s like to tune into sounds that most people just ignore, and want to get to bottom of it…

That's often a sales pitch,

The same tyre will have different ratings on different sites...

But will at least give an Indication

The same tyre will have different ratings on different sites...
Shouldn't do - its an EU test done by the manufacturer and the label is applied to the tyre at the factory

Shouldn't do - its an EU test done by the manufacturer and the label is applied to the tyre at the factory
Really..?

I was under the impression the vendor added their own,

I have seen variation for years now..
As I DO look for noise and fuel economy

Some C rated are ACTUALLY quieter than B rated for noise, etc

EDIT:

It's possibly like EURO NCAP tests..

Results get amended as a new variant comes out

My Conti tyres that were B + B on purchase, and were VERY Good,
are now a C + C , As a newer variant is now B + B

Last edited:
Tyre noise labels are for external noise expressed both in dBs and on an A-C scale from best-worst. Because dBs work on a logarithmic scale, even small differences are noticeable. It is subject to EU type approval.

Regs here:

In off road mode the asr esp off yellow symbols will light up on the dashboard and you wont miss them. Off road mode is only needed for crossing wet ploughed fields or snow covered mountains. I have actually used the hill holder setting going down a very steep icy snow covered road. It was impressive!
Calling it an electronic locking differential is another instance of Fiats sense of humour It doesnt have anything to do with the diff, just switches the ABS system to prevent wheel slippage by applying the brakes to spinning wheels. It really irritates me seeing dealers saying its a car with locking differentials. I suspect they would tell you it locks the centre diff too if you asked them to explain! The car really doesnt need locking diffs, its a car not an off roader its a hatchback. A few mad souls go off roading in them and they are amazing. Personally I wouldnt want the bills for the brakes it would eat if given a lot of heavy off road work. I would love to take someone elses Panda off road and give it some real stick, but they arnt available for test drives any more. I did test drive one down a wet muddy bank c45 degree slope a few years back. This was a slope from road to fenland field below river level, and very sticky. I turned at the bottom of the slope and looked up to the road some 30 feet up and had a moment of panic. Needless to say it drove back up with ease. Im sure it was laughing at me.

Back