Technical Noisy Cabin (2020 Twin Air Cross 4x4) tyre choice maybe?

Currently reading:
Technical Noisy Cabin (2020 Twin Air Cross 4x4) tyre choice maybe?

Panda2007

I've just taken delivery of this car, and the engine is noisy accelerating but I quite like that. However I also have a "thrumming" noise, it can change with road surfaces and may be the tyre choice. Very noticeable at 30 mph and a real bass-y boomer. Anyone got ideas or experiences to offer? Thanks. If I want to return the car i must do it pronto as going on holiday on Monday and will lose the opportunity.

Well the car is 2020 and at 40k miles must be on a 2nd set, so I think being old unlikely.

Well the car is 2020 and at 40k miles must be on a 2nd set, so I think being old unlikely.
The Panda is very light on tyres. Mine would have reached 40,000 miles at the legal limit but changed earlier as mud grip needs 3mm, ideally more.

I have Michelin CrossClimates in mine, older ‘plus’ version at front and newer ‘version 2’ at rear, replaced again owing to punctures. These do ‘drone’ on some coarse road surfaces.

A 2020 car should be like new, sometimes a particular road surface caused issues and other times you just get it in your head it's not right when they are all that way. Is it possible to have a go in another panda like yours. I'd be interested to know what your previous car was, are you comparing apples with apples ?

A 2020 car should be like new, sometimes a particular road surface caused issues and other times you just get it in your head it's not right when they are all that way. Is it possible to have a go in another panda like yours. I'd be interested to know what your previous car was, are you comparing apples with apples ?
Yes and no, but really no. Yes I have had 2 Pandas before this, but 1.3 diesel dynamics pre 2012, the one that just went to scrapyard heaven, failed mot, was new in 2007 and did great service for 15 years but a very different (maybe better) car. Pulled like a roman chariot regularly gave me 65 to 70 mpg and apart from service and fuel only needed a new starter and front discs/pads in 15 years.

I have Michelin Alpins on mine and they are really pretty noisy. The car is much quieter on its summer rubber.
I was wondering if being 4x4 dramatically increases cabin noise. I have only driven one other 4x4 and mostly didn't make it to 30, in town demo.

To quantify my reply above, my 2018 handbook states that the two wheel drive TwinAir Panda weighs 980kg, the 4x4 version 1090kg (the equivalent of carrying a couple of slim people as passengers). My diesel 4x4 is shown as 1125kg (and owing to the greater car weight, is allowed to tow 100kg more in a trailer too)

To quantify my reply above, my 2018 handbook states that the two wheel drive TwinAir Panda weighs 980kg, the 4x4 version 1090kg (the equivalent of carrying a couple of slim people as passengers). My diesel 4x4 is shown as 1125kg (and owing to the greater car weight, is allowed to tow 100kg more in a trailer too)
Thanks for the info, I had tow hooks front and back on the last 2007 diesel Panda, the rear one for maneuvering a small boat and the front one to tow the Panda behind a motorhome. It did quite well over fields in my reporters job at the Great Dorset Steam fair for 15 years, sadly a show that looks to be defunct post Covid.

It's also worth checking that the propshaft support bearing is OK. At that age it should be, but if abused (eg by driving with the ELD/forced 4x4 turned on when not needed, such as on tarmac*) the rubber support ring can break - that would transfer a lot of noise into the car.

*it must only be used on low-grip surfaces like mud or snow

Last edited:
A 2020 4x4 PAnda will have been supplied with normal (summer) tyres... only older ones were supplied with winter or all season tyres: later dropped as a standard fit to save emissions. What tyres have you got @Panda2007
I'll look at that in daylight, they are not winter or snow tyres and look pretty bog standard. A man in Leeds was selling one and he'd swapped tyres over for some sexy looking ones with a sort of outward running tread pattern, I missed the car but might have an email to ask him.

It's also worth checking that the propshaft support bearing is OK. At that age it should be, but of abused (eg by driving with the ELD/forced 4x4 turned on when not needed, such as on tarmac*) the rubber support ring can break - that would transfer a lot of noise into the car.

*it must only be used on low-grip surfaces like mud or snow
Thanks, the former/first owner was a lady and disabled, hence the need for me to tax it at the Post Office, (maybe another thread). No reason why she might not be a hot cookie with a a heavy foot ......

Back