Tuning 4x4 cross twin air remap

Currently reading:
Tuning 4x4 cross twin air remap

burtstyle

Hello, I’m loving my Panda, quite happy nipping around in it but my OHs slight complaint is acceleration. Not helped by the previous cars we’ve owned!

A friend said really a rolling road remap is best and to avoid the plug and play chip remapping, can anyone confirm that.

I’m struggling to find a local rolling road or rather not sure if to pick up the phone if I need someone who knows the limitations?

At the end of the day we just need a bit more torque I think, just when joining the motorway or just having a bit more of a shove when pulling out to overtake.

Any advice please ?

How many miles does yours have? No personal experience but posters on here report that the TA takes some time to free up and give its full performance. Others who know what they're talking about will be along shortly I'm sure :)

Hello, I’m loving my Panda, quite happy nipping around in it but my OHs slight complaint is acceleration. Not helped by the previous cars we’ve owned!

A friend said really a rolling road remap is best and to avoid the plug and play chip remapping, can anyone confirm that.

I’m struggling to find a local rolling road or rather not sure if to pick up the phone if I need someone who knows the limitations?

At the end of the day we just need a bit more torque I think, just when joining the motorway or just having a bit more of a shove when pulling out to overtake.

Any advice please ?

On a 2019 motor..

Never mind the remap..

Just run it on the rollers ( and learn..)

Torque in a TA should be its forte (y)

You may have a mechanical limitation...

The Rollers should make that clear ;-)

On a 2019 motor..

Never mind the remap..

Just run it on the rollers ( and learn..)

Torque in a TA should be its forte (y)

You may have a mechanical limitation...

The Rollers should make that clear ;-)

I not sure I know what you mean, you mean learn it’s stock power bands and drive accordingly? If that’s the case, I do! You might have to give OH a lesson! I ain’t going there after fallouts over our VW Baywindow gear change technique and timing and respect for teeth 😂

Mech restriction? Factory, Coz of the 4x4 system?

I really don’t mind its spirited drive, especially if you boot it and feel the little nudge from the rear. I tell my mates it’s same genes as a an intergrale, and I drive it as it’s grandad from its mothers side would want it to be 😀

Just a word of caution.

We've seen a lot of posts here from folks who've experienced DMF failures at modest mileages, often under 50k, and there have also been a number of failures relating to the 4x4 specific parts (propshaft centre bearing, viscous coupling). None of these are cheap repairs.

I'd just give some thought to the effect that increasing engine power (and more specifically engine torque) may have on the 4x4 powertrain. From what I've seen posted here, it's only just about fit for purpose out of the factory.

Just a word of caution.

We've seen a lot of posts here from folks who've experienced DMF failures at modest mileages, often under 50k, and there have also been a number of failures relating to the 4x4 specific parts (propshaft centre bearing, viscous coupling). None of these are cheap repairs.

I'd just give some thought to the effect that increasing engine power (and more specifically engine torque) may have on the 4x4 powertrain. From what I've seen posted here, it's only just about fit for purpose out of the factory.
I think the DMF experience is hot n miss, some suffer, some don’t

I think the DMF experience is hot n miss, some suffer, some don’t
That's also how I'd call it. We've seen DMF equipped cars that are still running fine after 100k+ miles. We've seen others needing substantial repairs after a quarter of that.

Some drive quite hard, others have a more gentle driving style.

Is there a connection? Who knows?

But increasing (and more particularly using) engine torque isn't going to stack the odds in your favour.

One thing my engineering background tells me that the wear vs mileage ratio isn't linear; once you get close to the design limits of a component, wear increases quite rapidly with even a small increase in power.

If you use only a modest percentage of the available power, the powertrain will likely last a very long time indeed.

But where's the fun in that!

All this depends on what’s being compared with. One thing people seem to overlook is the 4x4 versions are at least 100kg heavier than the two wheel drive Pandas… that (and the lower gearing) will make a big difference to performance. The Cross 4x4 is 40kg heavier than the non Cross 4x4 too, according to my handbook.

There is no viscous coupling, but a rear diff, different rear suspension, a hefty propshaft and extra power transfer unit at the front, some extra bolt on plastic, and (until it rusts away) a surprisingly heavy sump guard all adds up.

Last edited:
I think the days are gone wehn components were built to last and had tolerances way over they had now…you could get a 131 sport and the gearbox would take twice the standard power, obviously with a suitable clutch

OP hasnt stated miles covered..or indeed that its the 2019 of their previous posts

I have a VERY strong 2013..and an acceptable 2013

Plenty of posts around the TA world of both Intercooler and Turbo problems with age and use

I would want a 'ball park' RollingRoad reading before looking further

Of course 875cc has its limitations.. ;)

Just a word of caution.

Had prop shaft done under fiat warranty, it was vibrating at certain revs, and suspected something wasn’t right. Hopefully it wasn’t a like for like replacement and whatever the issue was is improved with the new ?

OP hasnt stated miles covered..or indeed that its the 2019 of their previous posts

I have a VERY strong 2013..and an acceptable 2013

Plenty of posts around the TA world of both Intercooler and Turbo problems with age and use

I would want a 'ball park' RollingRoad reading before looking further

Of course 875cc has its limitations.. ;)
16k miles. I don’t think anything is wrong, just if we can safely, sensibly get any more out of it by chucking a little be of money at it

I think the days are gone wehn components were built to last and had tolerances way over they had now…you could get a 131 sport and the gearbox would take twice the standard power, obviously with a suitable clutch
This is why I’m asking really, as there’s a few other considerations with the 4x4 system… you can’t just apply same 500 options to it I guess…

Ooo, so wonder what changes that means?? Could I stick an Alfa Giulietta 1.4TB in it? I really liked my G, power in all the right places…

“PanDakar - is a Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross fitted with an absolutely standard powerful, efficient 180 HP 2.0 Multijet engine, with only a few changes made to enable the little utility vehicle to withstand the race's extreme demands.”

On the Alfa note, I must say how much more helpful and friendly it is here vs Alfa forums, can’t say I have time to contribute as much as what I take, but you all seem to come and make genuine community

Back