Technical Noisy Cabin (2020 Twin Air Cross 4x4) tyre choice maybe?

Currently reading:
Technical Noisy Cabin (2020 Twin Air Cross 4x4) tyre choice maybe?

Hey, they are noisy, almost agricultural I learnt to accept that. Heavy rubber mats helped. Also when I first got mine it had a prop shaft issue and that vibration was what I seemed to lock on to as being something not right - is it noisier at specific speed / revs? And if so, can you power through it?

Or is it all time at all speeds?

I'll look at that in daylight, they are not winter or snow tyres and look pretty bog standard. A man in Leeds was selling one and he'd swapped tyres over for some sexy looking ones with a sort of outward running tread pattern, I missed the car but might have an email to ask him.
The original factory fit (pre 2019 or so) would have been Goodyear Vector AllSeasons, which have a distinctive V-shaped groove pattern. Michelin Cross Climates are similar in performance and appearance. Both carry the '3 peaks and mountain snowflake' symbol, which means they are accepted as being snow tyres in Alpine regions of Europe. Also, the pre-2019 tyres were 185/65R15 tyres... after that they fitted narrower 175/65 summer tyres, typically Goodyear DuraGrip, which save a lot of fuel but are not much use on a 4x4 if its going to be used in mud, snow etc, (ref the RangeRover vs Panda 4x4 video)

It's also worth checking that the propshaft support bearing is OK. At that age it should be, but of abused (eg by driving with the ELD/forced 4x4 turned on when not needed, such as on tarmac*) the rubber support ring can break - that would transfer a lot of noise into the car.

*it must only be used on low-grip surfaces like mud or snow
Yes, how many people don't understand what every button does on their car and can damage it through lack of knowledge. My pet hate is wipers on when it's stopped raining.

Hey, they are noisy, almost agricultural I learnt to accept that. Heavy rubber mats helped. Also when I first got mine it had a prop shaft issue and that vibration was what I seemed to lock on to as being something not right - is it noisier at specific speed / revs? And if so, can you power through it?

Or is it all time at all speeds?
Will check, it seemed to me more a question of different road surfaces but of course speeds are not always identical.

The original factory fit (pre 2019 or so) would have been Goodyear Vector AllSeasons, which have a distinctive V-shaped groove pattern. Michelin Cross Climates are similar in performance and appearance. Both carry the '3 peaks and mountain snowflake' symbol, which means they are accepted as being snow tyres in Alpine regions of Europe. Also, the pre-2019 tyres were 185/65R15 tyres... after that they fitted narrower 175/65 summer tyres, typically Goodyear DuraGrip, which save a lot of fuel but are not much use on a 4x4 if its going to be used in mud, snow etc, (ref the RangeRover vs Panda 4x4 video)
Would the larger tyre still fit the same wheels?

Will check, it seemed to me more a question of different road surfaces but of course speeds are not always identical.
You’ll start to find the pattern, motorway : dual carriage way and see when the noise or vibration becomes noticeable when normal gear changes, and just listen through the rev range in each gear. With mine it was a specific speed I think of which I could power through maybe 45mph or might be incorrect in that I may be a rev range and 4500… all is good now…

Would the larger tyre still fit the same wheels?
Yes - they both fit -- but only on the Cross model.
The Non-cross 4x4 used a different wheel that the 185 eyes doesn't fit well on (more speciflcally they result in the tyre rubbing on the subframe)

Check that the wheels have ET30 stamped on them. If steel wheels that is by the bolt holes on the outside face of the wheel,. If allies it's on the back and can only be seen by taking a wheel off.

You’ll start to find the pattern, motorway : dual carriage way and see when the noise or vibration becomes noticeable when normal gear changes, and just listen through the rev range in each gear. With mine it was a specific speed I think of which I could power through maybe 45mpg or might be incorrect in that I may be a rev range and 4500… all is good now…
It didn't seem to me to be a stand out problem on motorway and dual carriageways at 70, noisy but not stand out, my issue seems to be about town in the 28 to 32 range, I mean not exclusively but that seems to be when intrusive.

It didn't seem to me to be a stand out problem on motorway and dual carriageways at 70, noisy but not stand out, my issue seems to be about town in the 28 to 32 range, I mean not exclusively but that seems to be when intrusive.
Sounds like same propshafty issue to me…

Feel through the steering wheel too? Confirm what happens to that as well when you put clutch down
I think I'd have noticed that, kind of thing I'm sensitive about. BTW it has a leather steering wheel and I was slightly disappointed it was slippery and very smooth. thought it might be more grippy and tactile.

I think I'd have noticed that, kind of thing I'm sensitive about. BTW it has a leather steering wheel and I was slightly disappointed it was slippery and very smooth. thought it might be more grippy and tactile.
pretty sure ours did get a shake on through the steering wheel, as first thing I did was get wheel balancing and tracking checked…

Are they leather? Tbh it’s just something I hold on to and stops me bouncing to other seats…

Back