General Inner boot handle

Currently reading:
General Inner boot handle

I really don't understand why everyone gets in the huff about this one? Personally I think the grab handle was one of the best most useful things on the 500 as I didn't want to get my hands dirty and loved it as it was such a nice and simple solution. If someone wanted to make it more useful by making it a rigid loop that is great! I also get Ulpians point of view (up to a degree) as I feel that compared to the time when it was launched 500 has become a bit of an fashion statement (my main reason for getting GPA instead) but that is OK too - time is not standing still and fashion changes all the time. If you don't like what Fiat has done to the image of the 500 - tough! If you don't like the car - don't buy it! Simples... Not a reason to get stroppy and insult people tho ;)

i think its becase my oe one is a small loop and not ridged, so it sits flat and slips out of my hand. I also have very large hands!
It was just by closing a mito boot that I found it. Then about 2 minutes to order at alfa, and then under a minute to fit!
Just wanted to give some people an alternative if they want it.
Just like I did when I found out that my cinq rubber caps fitted over the top mounts on the 500 and solved the rust problem.

Just like I did when I found out that my cinq rubber caps fitted over the top mounts on the 500 and solved the rust problem.

Again IMHO this is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Sure it sounds like an incredibly bad thing to have rust on your car but look under tha back of any 500 and there will be bits that are already rusting. At the end of it all if you're having to undo shock nuts you're going to be replacing shocks and if you're doing that you'll be replacing shock nuts as well. But as always if it makes someone happy :)

Sorry to resurrect this thread and stupid willy waving aside, I decided to order a leather tri-colour 500 logo boot strap from TMC on 24th August.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/Fiat_Interior.aspx

Still waiting for it, partially because of the summer Italian shut down:(

Anyone had & replaced one of these? Easy to do? Looks like one Allen bolt(y)

Anyone had issues with deliveries from TMC?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect this thread and stupid willy waving aside, I decided to order a leather tri-colour 500 logo boot strap from TMC on 24th August.

Cheers,
TMC are located in Northern Ireland?

Cheers,

have you progressed the order with TMC?

Assuming that you do use the strap handle, you whip your hand out as the tailgate closes (wouldn't want to get caught in the loop, so to speak)... and the tailgate closes with a horrid sound on my 500, rattly number plate frame and jumping wiper, I think :eek:

My 'mod' will be to mount the number plate against foam tape and add some sound deadening... Essential, no, but nice to do, yes...

We all have things we like to do to improve what we can, and I hope people carry on posting the little things even if someone out there thinks it's petty. It's always interesting on some level, and no-one's forced to read it.

-Alex

I find the strap on my 500 poor, I didn't know it should be a loop as mine looks like a 50p piece of nylon webbing.
I was going to ask about aftermarket straps, and I will be going to get a MiTo strap.
This sort of thread (without the whining) is exactly what I wanted when I joined. People moaning about changing tiny parts are wrong.
Why is it ok to talk about bright orange teenage projects with extreme body kits and expensive exhausts and not about something which I use everyday and want improved? Surely both are equally valid. I don't want to fit enormous wheels or measure the sound levels in my car, but I am interested in others work - some I like, some I don't.

I found an almost identical piece of webbing, so my partner lengthened the strap to accomodate my lacking in height(4'11), I'm very happy now.

Should see my mother with the ford focus estate i put her a webbing strap on the boot as it was rather cruel to laugh at her jumping trying to reach it :devil:

As I’d only made this very same ‘mod’ myself at the beginning of this month, I read this with interest.

It’s so simplistic to do that I wasn’t even going to mention it - thinking everyone's probably done this already. I agree this is exactly what the FF is here for though - Five hundred Fellowship. Or in this thread’s case maybe Lords of the Loop! (groan!)

I also read about Alex’s involved project - stripping down his 500 to get into sound deadening. Very interesting contribution. I wouldn’t dream of getting in above my head on such a project myself, but good to see people getting the most out oftheir 500’s, on all levels.

On a reliable car (so far!) I think it’s great that FF has a fun five hundred side, rather than only exist because of range-wide major failings. Long may this continue.

I wonder how many owners don’t even realise that incognito strap is there or even what it was for if they did?

Mentioned this mod to a colleague in case they wanted to see the result. What strap? they said. Didn’t even realise their Pop 500 even had one, but now using theirs all the time too. I find when I’ve got my arms full and keys in my hands - having the loop closer is very useful; it just keeps things away from the paintwork (good).

I find using the strap somehow provides the right amount of momentum to close the boot neatly and in one go. The black webbing OEM strap was ok, but purely functional and a bit boring really. So a red leather loop with self-coloured 500 logo embroidery was bound to catch my eye. Being a firmer material, the loop actually stays open in loop shape, whereas the OEM webbing folds flat. Leather strap makes it easier for hubby to get his hand into it.

What a simple, useful little mod to do - I took the photos, whilst taller hubby unscrewed bolt, removed webbing loop and replaced it with the red one - all done in a couple of minutes. Piccies here (hopefully).

Attachments

• Ruby's OEM boot strap change 1of4 05Sep2012 .JPG
    Ruby's OEM boot strap change 1of4 05Sep2012 .JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Ruby's OEM boot strap change 2of4 05Sep2012.JPG
    Ruby's OEM boot strap change 2of4 05Sep2012.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Ruby's OEM boot strap change 3of4 05Sep2012.JPG
    Ruby's OEM boot strap change 3of4 05Sep2012.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Ruby's OEM boot strap change 4of4 05Sep2012.JPG
    Ruby's OEM boot strap change 4of4 05Sep2012.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Great little mod there, and colour coded as well!(y)

I never saw this thread when it came out, but...blimey!:eek::D

I also find it a useful little device as well. My wife also finds it particularly useful as it makes it easier for her to close the boot. She suffers from hypermobile joint syndrome and is often popping her shoulders back into their sockets when they sublux (this is why the 500 and Panda is so good in terms of the gearstick position as it does not cause her any problems in that respect).

Personally I'm quite happy with the original part, but I agree the ones fitted here are of a superior quality.

Back