General Leaky boot

Currently reading:
General Leaky boot

I have three suggestions based on experience with Fiats.
1. Underneath the back light fitting of our 2014 Panda all looked well, but there was a hole, all nicely sealed around the edges and painted neatly. Just bad panel fitting and hte boot was soaking. Dealer even gavce us a brand new boot carpet as the original was soaking. Fixed with Unibond 30 year mastic.
2. Bravo had a small leak which was the same bad build quality, all nicely sealed, but a small hole in hte roo to rear quarter panels. Fiex with Tiger seal.
3. 2019 Panda has a leaking rear screen. IOt was OK when new but has started recently. I think its fixed with a liberal application of Holts Seak n Seal.

At least your leak looks a slight one. You should have seen the Panda with the hole behind hte rear lights!!

Many thanks varesecrazy. I am based in Swansea area. I gave up and decided to call Days, the Fiat dealer here to book an appointment (Wednesday morning). £275 to have an inspection. Not going to be cheap. But I will let them know what may be the problems! Thanks.
Not really taking the micky, but must be nice to be rich, ;) £275 isn't for a cure.
The only real solution is to remove all trim/carpets etc in the offending area and really look closely, a guy a few months ago had all his seats out etc. but it was only after he had photographed all around the area that by zooming in we managed to find a seam leaking in the rear panel.
Every vehicle has different weak points, as an apprentice in 1969 I used to be shut in the boot of cars with a torch whilst water was hosed all over, later working at a Lada Dealership as foreman we had 40 pages of what was called "water ingress " , I had a customer whose ECU wiring was playing up and I located the fault to a badly fitted replacement windscreen, luckily the nearby Golf Club paid as damage originally caused by members ball, more recently I had a Skoda Scout with wet carpet on o/s rear floor which I was convinced was due to a badly fitting door due to a knock but eventually I located to a blocked sun roof drain which terminates near the tailgate hinges causing water to overflow the sunroof channels when shut leaking into the roof lining and dripping off a grab handle down on the carpet. As previously mentioned lamp unit seals are a common fault also the paper towels suggestion can help locate.

This covers a few..

I will keep looking for the roof panel info as its potentially most relevant

Here you go @TimZh

Not the original thread, but a couple of confirmed fixes 👍

Last edited:
Hi thank you for all the tips and threads. The garage did take both rubber strips off and reseal them back on. My suspicion is the leak is now from somewhere else and happens only when I drive.
I had a look at the wheel arch (rear, driver side) has a cover that may give access to something. I was wondering if this could be the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_090754.jpg
    IMG_20231119_090754.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 61
That just the plastic liner there's sold metal behind that cracks shouldn't be the cause of any leak

You had any luck locating any dribbles of water when the cars behind hosed down?

It was only the boot that was wet wasn't it?

Rear carpets dry?

This is where water comes in, the silver plastic piece has some cracks. Waters comes in from those cracks, only occurs after I drive the car. By the way, as I said early, my car is parked up on a driveway with the front up.

Attachments

• IMG_20231114_155934.jpg
    IMG_20231114_155934.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
This is where water comes in, the silver plastic piece has some cracks. Waters comes in from those cracks, only occurs after I drive the car. By the way, as I said early, my car is parked up on a driveway with the front up.
When looking closely at this photo of your boot floor nearest to the camera there is a darker stain on the sealant nearest to the rear, I would be tempted to remove the coverings at the rear of both wheel arches and across the back below boot lock area as I think it is running down from the sides towards the back into the spare tyre well etc.
Even when dry if you study carefully where stains have formed it can give a indication of the path.

I checked the boot,is it a silly idea to paint over this silver sheet to stop water. I think it is to protect the metal, since the spare tyre is quite heavy. I have some leftover paint I used to mend a leak shed roof.

I checked the boot,is it a silly idea to paint over this silver sheet to stop water. I think it is to protect the metal, since the spare tyre is quite heavy. I have some leftover paint I used to mend a leak shed roof.
Water doesn't climb up hill.
Try taping some kitchen towel paper on the boot floor either side, above the tyre well just to check.:)

Hi, just joined to respond. Ghosting for a while but now bough a 2008 1.4. Water in the wheel well.
2 days chasing.
The gunk at the back simply covers panel joins.
The metal disc in mine has a drain hole. I removed cleaned rust (look underneath) rust treated and replaced with sealant.
Working upwards with water I couldn't get a leak until the end of the roof trim. Removed rear lights on joy. Removed roof trim no joy.
Poured at the rear end of the trim and water ran out of the body panel into the rear and overflowed into the well.
This confirmed why the rear seat cushions were dry but the underside of the boot cover was soaked.
Checked closer and water does not leak from up to above the strut weld. Water does not leak from the trim trough.
So left with the top corner seam. Poured water here and pees out from panel below.
Taking out the roof liner and a look from inside.
Back tomorrow and will post some pics.
Funny thing is why the back panel has weep holes and a drain plug in the well?

Looking at your well photo. The driver side nearest the rear is where my leak drips behind and beneath the black liner. From there it collects and runs towards the front of the car along the ledge, or towards the NS and into the well.
Heading for 5 😏
Head liner removed and no access from inside. I've a pic to post which is a view of the panel which the water runs down to the outlet in the well.

Back