Technical Help, new to site, egr issue

Currently reading:
Technical Help, new to site, egr issue

Did you ge5 it from a fiat dealer?

No just used car place ��

and she paid top money for it, too.

Mushsgirl, condolences - you have had a shedload of problems with this car.

It's just possible you may be discovering the reasons why its previous owner thought this might be a good time to get rid of it.

It could be worth your while having a word with your local citizens advice bureau about the chances of being able to successfully reject the car. As far as I can see, it's never been fit for purpose since the day you got it and despite all the attempts to fix it, is still unsatisfactory. Even if they gave it you back tomorrow apparently working perfectly, I don't see how you could be expected to have any confidence in it.

Last edited:
and she paid top money for it, too.

Mushsgirl, condolences - you have had a shedload of problems with this car.

It's just possible you may be discovering the reasons why its previous owner thought this might be a good time to get rid of it.

It could be worth your while having a word with your local citizens advice bureau about the chances of being able to successfully reject the car. As far as I can see, it's never been fit for purpose since the day you got it and despite all the attempts to fix it, is still unsatisfactory.

Thanks, I'm going to the garage this morning once I've taken my kids to school and see what they say, not looking forward to it if I'm honest, if they're awkward I'll speak to trading standards as I've only had the car 2 weeks and 3 days! Feels like a lifetime!

No just used car place ?

OK,
it's got at least 1 fundamental issue,

and they've had it back several times , and made no real progress,

you can decide if you you LIKE / LOVE the car..either;

take it back / demand your money back,

stump up @£100 and get a full FIAT dealer to do the Diagnostic session , and get a list of remedial work , AND a Quote for the work.

just bear in mind,
the Used car dealer will have bought it from an auction , and the reason for it being in an auction - likely to have had expensive issues.

Charlie

Thanks, I'm going to the garage this morning once I've taken my kids to school and see what they say, not looking forward to it if I'm honest

Tha's understandable; having this sort of a conversation with a used car dealer would be daunting for most folks.

Take our thoughts and best wishes with you and stick to your guns.

Good luck!, and please let us know how you get on.

OK,
it's got at least 1 fundamental issue,

and they've had it back several times , and made no real progress,

you can decide if you you LIKE / LOVE the car..either;

take it back / demand your money back,

stump up @£100 and get a full FIAT dealer to do the Diagnostic session , and get a list of remedial work , AND a Quote for the work.

just bear in mind,
the Used car dealer will have bought it from an auction , and the reason for it being in an auction - likely to have had expensive issues.

Charlie

I've totally fallen out of love with her, I'm scared to drive it especially with two kids ?

I know it's probably not their fault and they are nice guys so hopefully they won't be knobs about taking back ?

Tha's understandable; having this sort of a conversation with a used car dealer would be daunting for most folks.

Take our thoughts and best wishes with you and stick to your guns.

Good luck!, and please let us know how you get on.

Will do, shame I couldn't have a few glasses of wine before I went! ?

They put a new egr valve on when I first took it back ?
The reason I'm asking is that and EGR for any car is not something a garage would keep on the shelf and would have to order in.. so I'm just wondering did they actually change the part or just tell you they did ??

The reason I'm asking is that and EGR for any car is not something a garage would keep on the shelf and would have to order in.. so I'm just wondering did they actually change the part or just tell you they did ??

I think it was ordered in, but I do have the receipt for it

Right guys, thanks all for your advice over these long 2 and a half weeks, the car has now gone back and I have my money back, so I'll be taking my swift out of retirement xx

Wow! that was quick. It's taken some folks 20 pages of posts to get a car rejected.

Glad you've found a resolution; sorry that you're leaving the Fiat community.

I'd strongly recommend you choose a petrol car next time.

Hope to have you back one day.

Good luck for the future, whatever you choose to buy next.

Last edited:
Wow! that was quick. It's taken some folks 20 pages of posts to get a car rejected.

Glad you've found a resolution; sorry that you're leaving the Fiat community.

I'd strongly recommend you choose a petrol car next time.

Hope to have you back one day.

Good luck for the future, whatever you choose to buy next.

Thanks very much, will definitely be looking for a petrol, any ideas? ??

I think the fact I broke down in tears helped! ?

£4000, something economical, reasonable size boot and something that's not gonna create issues! ��

Current model Suzuki Swift - that budget should get you into a '12/'13 plate car.

I can't in all honesty recommend a 500 at this price point; they're a car perhaps best bought new and traded away before the warranty expires. Residuals are unrealistically high and they develop too many niggling faults at they get older, some of which can be difficult and/or costly to resolve satisfactorily unless you have strong DIY skills.

Last edited:
Current model Suzuki Swift - that budget should get you into a '12/'13 plate car.

I can't in all honesty recommend a 500 at this price point; they're a car perhaps best bought new and traded away before the warranty expires. Residuals are unrealistically high and they develop too many niggling faults at they get older, some of which can be difficult and/or costly to resolve satisfactorily.

Think I'm scarred for life by a fiat! I was looking at the vw up?

Back