Technical Twinair cold starting issue. Please help

Currently reading:
Technical Twinair cold starting issue. Please help

Misfires not too unusual with the Uniair problem..

Misfires not too unusual with the Uniair problem..

Does unfair only cause a problem on first start from cold? Only asking as it's the only it does it

I think misfire is caused by restarting. IIRC I tested with MES last winter. Cleared all faults, started the car and it stalled. Read codes again, no codes. Restarted the car and , left it running for a short time and read codes again. At this time misfire was stated, but no MIL.
I bought my car with this issue stated, the seller told me the twinair unit had been swapped with one of a car that had no issues, but didn't solve the problem.

Its proving tricky for members to solve and/or pin down these twin air issues which seem to crop all to often! another example of new tech that does not live up to its design brief in later life!:oops: not enough R&D in the first place.:rolleyes:
Theres a reason the simple 1.2 engine is the most popular in the range!. ;)

I thank the stars daily!(y) i didnt fall for the hype of the twin air(n) (and for that mater the duologic!) and all the associated headaches they are giving there owners long after fiat has taken its profit out of them!
Just like my Italian motorcycles they offer performance,soul and fun! :unsure:but fall on there arses cause the reliability is:poop:.

Hi,
I have had the cold starting problem since last winter. It was okay again until this winter and then same again, stalls out and needed to keep foot down on accelerator and turning over the engine, until it starts. However, this time it would not start. Local garage changed plugs, oil filter and engine oil. It was not until they removed a strainer that was gummed up for the variable valve system that the problem was resolved. I hope this helps somebody as it was driving us crazy. Do not have car now, but it was running fine for two weeks after the filter was cleaned.

Hi,
I have had the cold starting problem since last winter. It was okay again until this winter and then same again, stalls out and needed to keep foot down on accelerator and turning over the engine, until it starts. However, this time it would not start. Local garage changed plugs, oil filter and engine oil. It was not until they removed a strainer that was gummed up for the variable valve system that the problem was resolved. I hope this helps somebody as it was driving us crazy. Do not have car now, but it was running fine for two weeks after the filter was cleaned.
That strainer is a service item.. 😉

People with regular oil changes usually find it clean 🤔

How many miles /km on this motor?

If your friendly garage has not used the very specific correct grade of oil these would be the sort of symptoms expected. If the oil is too thick when cold it will not flow and the valves will be incorrectly timed or inoperable. Its very clear that even main dealers do not stick to the specified oils for reasomns that escape me. If concerend about the TA unit google Mark Stammers who had reported on an investigation of a TA unit with problems and he outlines the tests done. With a high tech engine like the TA you need to be certain it gets the correct oil, and plugs. I agree with Varesecrazy that cleaning the Twinair unit filter may help. There was a very good thread on here about how to do this a while back. With higher milage engines where there is wear building up these things become more critical too. Some have reported coil failures too so this is a possible cause.

Where IS this strainer? Might need to check mine!
Pretty sure it in the 500 section GUIDE

I'VE NOT done mine yet, as have had clean oil

It's towards top rear of engine,fairly central

Need a skinny socket (I've prepared one of those.. Funny size 15mm?)

EDIT:

After research this has the info..

But the pics cannot be enlarged (photo bucket account..)

Last edited:
Just throwing it out here, is it possible that an even thinner oil is required on older cars in cold weather? Not a twin air owner.
I've had No cold weather issues with the 2 I run, they live out in all weathers

But are run on good spec oil and are not given a hard life
(2012 still on factory battery..)

Just throwing it out here, is it possible that an even thinner oil is required on older cars in cold weather?
On a TA, definitely not. There is an accurate temperature sensor for the oil and the valve management electronics uses a lookup table to automatically compensate for the oil thickening at lower temperatures. If you use a different oil to that specified, this won't work in the way it was intended to.

On a gently driven 1.2, possibly; I've thought of doing this myself and may try this in future.

On a 1.3, I'd use whatever I thought would give best protection to the camchain.

Think the twin air system is far to clever for it (and its owners own good overall!:unsure: to much oops😱 potential I M H O !.

As for oil!-in both my 1.2 500 & 3.7 ltr v6 Merc I just use sense🤨! which in my case means in summer when its hotter and im doing longer runs they get 5/40w semi -synthetic and over winter 5/30 goes in for between November and April regardless of mileage for less resistance when starting from cold! and quicker cold flow rate!👍. just waiting to see if global-warming screws this up? but then again if you listen to all the doom mongers!- we are gonna run out of petrol in 2035 anyway and as im likely to be in me box by then!!! i dont really give a:poop:!

Back