General Front Suspension Bush Replacement - Panda 100hp

Currently reading:
General Front Suspension Bush Replacement - Panda 100hp

thornebt

I've noticed that the large suspension bush on the right side of this photo looks perished. Is this the front suspension lower arm? Is it a difficult job to remove this arm to replace these bushes? Or is it one of those bushes that cannot be replaced and a new lower arm is required. Thank you.
IMG_20230807_175519_HDR.jpg

I change an arm in under 5 minutes

Change a bush without a very large hydrolic press over an hour

I drill the middle out then hammer and chisel the alloy shell out

Need to be changed as a pair really

Thanks for the reply. I will replace them as a pair. I guess it's probably best to replace the arms instead of replacing just the bushes. I can get a pair of them on eBay for £50.99 so I'll probably get them from there instead of sourcing genuine Fiat arms.

You *can* get the correct bushes separately, and it can be worthwhile on a 100hp IF it has proper 100hp arms on.
Sadly, many suppliers list the standard arms as suitable for a 100hp (they are supposed to be different).
(Or maybe people mis-read the compatibility list and see ones that are suitable for a 1.4 natural power, which is a lower power 8v that can run on CNG).
Standard Panda arms will fit, but probably shouldn't be used (opinions vary).

Thanks for the reply. I will replace them as a pair. I guess it's probably best to replace the arms instead of replacing just the bushes. I can get a pair of them on eBay for £50.99 so I'll probably get them from there instead of sourcing genuine Fiat arms.
Sounds too cheap for the 100hp

Got a link

More like standard panda ones @irc beat me typing

I don't like using ebay for suspension or brake parts, there are reliable suppliers online, Motor factors that supply garages normally only supply good parts

Good point about Ebay. So I turned to the web and first site I found was "BuyCarParts" who have the tag line "Trusted Car Parts Retailer from Germany". But I'm now faced with at least twenty choices! From cheapest upwards they go like this: Ridex, OMG, Reinhoch, Vaico, GT Bergmann, SKF, Moog, Magnet Marelli, Sidem, MS Germany, Dys, Spidan, Fraft Automotive, TRW, ABS, Mapco, Denickerman, Stark and QH.

I'm sure I've heard of Vaico, have definitely heard of SKF (obviously for bearings) and only about three or four of the others. As this site has the registration number lookup I guess I will go with SKF at about £40 each incl VAT but excl Delivery.

Unless someone on here can recommend a different supplier for a quality part. Sometimes you just have to take a punt I guess.

I'm going to replace the complete arms but the difference in the bushes is interesting. Cheers.

I guess I need to check photos of arms to see if I can find some with correct looking bushes but not sure if suppliers photos will be that good!

Standard work fine
But less responsive

100hp
More responsive

Standard arms were fitted for some countries

As far as I know the special 100hp bushes were always fitted for the UK market

If I regular park with two wheel up a curb I would probably fit standard.

If I want a track car I would fit the proper ones

As I don't have a 100hp or do either above I don't know what I would fit

REG searches arent always 100%

Online discriptions aren't always 100%

I would stay away from febi or bilstein parts for this part, the rubber they use does not seem to last, although this is only a sample size of a few

It's pretty obvious in a photo, bottom of this one
2022039T.jpg

Registration number lookup for my old 100hp gives standard arms on many web sites.
Part numbers should be:
I have used various brands, but the only one which seems to have stock is Magneti Marelli.
Shop4Parts currently have them in stock, as do a couple of other suppliers.

Registration number lookup for my old 100hp gives standard arms on many web sites.
Part numbers should be:
I have used various brands, but the only one which seems to have stock is Magneti Marelli.
Shop4Parts currently have them in stock, as do a couple of other suppliers.
Thanks for your help both of you. I've ordered the Magnet Marelli arms from Shop4Parts. Total cost was £112 incl. delivery so a bit more expensive than the £30 - £40 arms but I like the idea of having the proper part even though it's not a track car!

Ride hight will be different, just drop it back on to it's wheels to tighten the bolts that go through the bushes

I"d be soaking the bolts in penetrating oil now, and loosening the bolts ready

Pinch bolt might snap, there are very small, worth getting a spare if it's not been apart for a few years, I have never snapped on but others have

Nut should face the front

Jack one side at a time the anti roll bar gives you an extra few inches of clearance. Just bash it down with a 2lb club hammer or similar, your not worried about the old part

Last edited:
After I fitted new arms (Magneti Marelli) to the 1.2, I was surprised how much the wheel moves when moving forward and back while parking the car. I fitted the correct 100HP arms at a fair bit more money, but they have lasted 40,000 miles and still seem to be good. It's likely the cheaper type would have failed long ago as the wider wheels apply higher forces.

I replaced mine two weeks ago as it failed in MOT. It took me around an hour but I had a vague idea for what I was doing - first time doing one it took twice as long.

The main challenges I had were:
1) Removing the pinch bolt and removing the ball joint bit from near the brakes. I highly recommend cleaning the exposed thread carefully and greasing if really well (like copper grease) and then removing it. I had to angle grind my one out as the nut got stuck as it was coming out (as it ran over the exposed thread it furled up)
2) A bit of a faff to jack up the wheel end of the control arm to the right height and then torque everything up the the required levels (I believe this is standard practice - basically to torque when in the standard road position when the wheel is on and the car on the ground)
3) The last time I did this I over torqued the pinch bolt and stripped the thread and it was a misery. Be careful with the torque values you use. I covered some of this the on a previous MOT (https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/mot-help-control-arm-and-position-lamp.495917/)

Note: these are sided so make sure you get one for the side you replace (I got a febi bilstein 32444). Also I found this video really helpful:

Back