Technical MOT Help: Control Arm and Position Lamp

Currently reading:
Technical MOT Help: Control Arm and Position Lamp

DTanner

Hi all,
I have a Mark 2 Panda 2009 that has had some feedback from a recent MOT, e.g., Repair immediately (major defects):
1) Offside Rear Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
2) Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
3) Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))

I need some advice on remedying these please. This is where I am:
1) I am good with the rear coil springs as the failed one was installed by me some years ago
2) After looking into this I determined that I needed to replace the "control arm" and found a suitable part (Febi Bilstein 32444 / unfortunately I could not get the 40681, which comes with a spare set of fixings). It was a quick job to remove the old arm and install the new one, but I caught the thread on the bolt when replacing one of the fixings and need to replace it (a nut and bolt pair - see image Control_Arm_Fixings.jpg). I am still looking but does anyone know where I could source a replace nut and bolt for this? Preferably with fast delivery. It was not happy going together and did not torque well so needs replacing
3) I cannot find any faults with any of my lights when trying all of the combinations. To confirm, am I correct that the light indicated below is the position lamp (see Position_Lamp.jpg)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Control_Arm_Fixings.jpg
    Control_Arm_Fixings.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Position_Lamp.jpg
    Position_Lamp.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 49

Looks like part 4 and 5

Most motor factors stock them

I fitted mazda/ford pinch bolts (£2.40 Inc VAT each). There coated, High tensile and the right lengths, diameters. Stocked by most motor factors. The only downside is the thread pitch is different.

It’s not a standard bolt but made of high tensile steel

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
The pinch bolt was a good description so I found some and placed an order yesterday (though delivery is a couple of days). I will update here on how it progresses and the successful part number.
Will check the side wing as you suggest.

Check the bulbs also

Showing white is a common fail

Which is why I now buy ring indicator bulb from wiko as they don’t need replacing every couple of years
Our Seat has an advisory , so thanks I will seek out Ring bulbs. I think its 10 years since they were last changed so not too bad.

Hi all,
Thanks for all of your feedback on this, it has been really appreciated.

So now for my updates:
1) Rear coil spring - Offside Rear Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i)):
I replaced the pair with two KYB RA5596. These are pretty cheap but decided to give them a go. Straight forward change and rubbed a load of waxoyl around the spring cups while I was there.

2) Control Arm - Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i)):
I replaced the control arm and it was very straightforward. However, when I was replacing the ball-joint pinch bolt I snagged the thread and then stripped it when I was torqueing it. I torqued it to 60Nm (as per my Haynes manual) but I think this is wrong. As the thread was stripped it was a pain to get back out and I eventually used an angle grinder to cut off the nut and remove it. Sourcing a replacement was a pain as I ordered too quickly and should have paid more attention, the FIAT ePER provided by @koalar was all I needed! I ended up replacing and torqueing the pinch bolt to 32Nm (as per reference 2 below) but not sure if this is right. Anyone know this?

The correct parts for me are:
PINCH BOLT / OEM NUMBER: 7601061 / M8 x 50mm (Measured by me) [https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=15193]
PINCH BOLT NUT / OEM NUMBER: 15503621[https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=18285]
The images below show:
a) the Pinch Bolt and Nut next to the packaging labels (image Screw_and_Nut.jpg)
b) the set of bolts I was working with: left - the correct replacement listed above; middle - a wrong one I ordered too quickly; and right - the original I had to cut off the car (Screw_and_Nut_Comparison.jpg)

Some useful references I found:
Reference1: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/front-ball-joint-pinch-bolt-spec.489402/
Reference2: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/front-lower-wishbone-pinch-bolt-8-8-or-high-tensile.340007/
Reference3: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/control-arm-bolts.462865/

3) Side Lights - Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii)):
This was confusing until I got a replacement set and replaced them. They were working fine and looked ok but when I took them out the bulbs were black.
I put in a pair of I got from Halfords - 501 W5W Car Bulb. The position lamps are also know as side lights and are shown below (Position_Lamp.jpg)

Thanks for the responses and hope the update helps others.

Attachments

• Screw_and_Nut.jpg
    Screw_and_Nut.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • Screws_and_Nut_Comparison.jpg
    Screws_and_Nut_Comparison.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Position_Lamp.jpg
    Position_Lamp.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 39
I fitted KYB sprngs to our Seat about 5 years ago. We got an advisory this year for corrosion of these so you may consider whipping them out and giving them a coat of soemthing to reduce the porential while they are new. I did our 319 Panda with some Hammerite 18 months back. It hasnt cracked or fallen off so a possible idea. No issues with the KYB springs other than that. The ride was good and hasnt seemed to deteriorate. KYB shocks fitted on my Panda 100 fronts were failed on the MOT after around 5 years. This was after I had sold the car but followed its MOT history. It may actually have just been teh Dinitorl I sprayed them with. Our dealer was going to replace my 4x4 damper until I suggested they we galloping mad and asked tehm to reconsider.....

Its really good when you do an update as this is where we can all learn.

In the resources section I have put a faily lengthy list of Panda torque values gleaned from tech info that I believe to be reliable. I think the pinch bolts are listed. Lower arm balljoint to swivel hub is listed at 60Nm. The clamp bolt is listed at 33Nm.

Thanks all!
I took the car back for an MOT on the updates and am now Passed. The retest was free as it was within 10 days, which was great! I really appreciate the feedback to help me get back on the road. I find it rewarding to work on the car myself and it also minimises costs. I bought the car from new and it is 13 years old now, and I am the only one that has ever serviced or maintained it. I have learned a lot of valuable lessons, have improved my skills in this area and know enough to know when I need advice. The forum has been a great support. Thanks.

The bottom ball joint pinch bolt is M8 high tensile 10.9 with self-locking nut. They always rust so coat end to end with anti seize grease. It simply has to pinch the ball joint pin. No need to go mad but obviously you don't want it coming loose.

Quote from https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-bolts-maximum-torque-d_2054.html shows the correct toque setting for standard metric threads

Max torque M8 8.8 = 28.8 Nm.
Max torque M8 10.9 = 41.3 Nm

Back