Technical Crankcase Position Sensor

Currently reading:
Technical Crankcase Position Sensor

MLW

My daughters 2006 1.1 Panda has broken down. Stopped on the motorway and then started again for two minutes. Breakdown man used his OB2 machine and said Crankcase Position Sensor problem,
Looks like a simple £30+ part.
1). What is the correct part number, there seems to be a choice?
2). How easy is it to fit?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20231113_222051.jpg

Screenshot_20231113_222336.jpg

55229700 part number looks correct to me. 1.1 2004-2009

I'd probably go a bit dearer there's a few choices around £15, I normally use GSF if I can, nothings ever failed and I can walk to them

Easy to replace

The screen shot above is from fiats own electronic parts catalogue, it's about as good as you are going to get

I'd wager a small amount that 55267144 would also be good and possible all below

OE 55187380 — FIAT / LANCIA
OE 55229700 — ALFA ROMEO / FIAT / LANCIA
OE 55267144 — ALFA ROMEO / FIAT / LANCIA
OE 1564811 — FORD
OE 1535716 — FORD
OE AS51-9E731-AA — FORD
OE 1699523 — FORD
OE 9S51-12297-BA — FORD
OE 9S51-9E731-BA — FORD

FIAT say it is 55242637 and is £130.02p. A crazy price as Euro Car Parts have it at about £30 and a Bosch one.

I am confused

The title is

Crankcase Position Sensor, which does not exist

Closest
crank position sensor
Or
crankshaft position sensor

Also known as
CKP sensor
RPM sensor

That is the numbers I gave

The part number you have given in your last post is for a

Camshaft position sensor
Cam position sensor

They are completely different, how they work, number of pin, angle of connector

Crankcase the part surrounding the crankshaft,

Camshaft is in the head on these engines and the camshaft sensor is above this on the valve cover

Last edited:
Sorry you are right is is the crankshaft at the top of the engine.

Crankshaft at the bottom

This sensor tells the engine where the piston are, without a valid signal the engine will not run, this often fails when hot, and if you let the engine cool down it will start working again or the engine will not rev very high, you may or may not get an engine check light, P0335

Camshaft at the top,

this monitors the engines timing, P0340 code and engine light, but normally the engine still runs, later engines go into a limp home mode, not sure on the 2006 1.1

These are just general symptoms, and codes, there's alway exceptions,

Last edited:
What an idiot. I am making a real meal of this.
Just checked with my daughter who has the good sense to write it down. It is a crankshaft sensor. £76 from Euro Car Parts, a Bosch.
Is it easy to fit and is it readily visible?
Thanks.

What an idiot. I am making a real meal of this.
No problem
Just checked with my daughter who has the good sense to write it down. It is a crankshaft sensor. £76 from Euro Car Parts, a Bosch.
If you haven't bought it yet they were around £15 at GSF for a facet one when I last checked, just make sure you apply the discount code, Facet are a well known senor manufacture and are used as original fitment by some manufacturers, Bosch also supply top quality part
Is it easy to fit and is it readily visible?
Thanks.
Yes, click on the blue link below

Near the oil filter

Easier if you lift the drivers side front wheel (RHD)

A ramp or large curb is easiest

That is so very useful. I have the Bosch part. I know it is expensive but I have to fit it on Saturday.
The FIAT diagram looks like you can get to it from the top. I have a very good socket set.

I had the crankshaft sensor go and came to a dead stop. Replaced with a new generic one from eBay, cost me £10.83 but the same unit is £15.79 now!! The equivalent Bosch product is £28.99😢

That was two years ago now and no issues since.

To be honest it took me a while because I couldn’t get the car high enough to reach the rear of the engine! Once in position the old one was very easy to find- getting out was tricky but be patient and use WD to loosen up. New one pushes in and set by the one bolt. I used a torx socket but sure there’s a different tool to fit this bolt head!!
IMG_6086.jpeg

Doesn't look like my Pandas

Mine are like this

Not my video stole from YouTube, shout out to golfwagen hope they don't mind

It's slightly easier than changing the oil filter which is next to it

FIAT say it is 55242637 and is £130.02p. A crazy price as Euro Car Parts have it at about £30 and a Bosch one.
Wow thats cheap..... for Fiat. Jokers.

Try shop4parts.co.uk.
They will get you going with good quality parts and sound advice on which one fpr your specific car too. Many of thier parts are Fiat origianal and at substantial reductions in price. Fiat must hate them!

UPDATE
Drove down to London where the car is to fit the Bosch part.
It was easy to locate in the front of the engine about 3 inches to the left of the top of the oil filter. Easy to undo the 10mm bolt and pull off the connector. Drivers side jacked up to where the tyre just touches the ground.
However, Euro car Parts had supplied the wrong part. Only when the old unit was out did it become obvious. GSF supplied a Facet (2 pin) part for nearly £32. It was a perfect fit. Connect up and engine started just like normal. Ran it for 10-15 mins and a run around the block. All the engine management lights etc are out, and all normal.
Moral of the tale is there seems to be so many variations it is best, if you can, to take out the old unit and match it up in the shop.
Euro Car Parts did refund all but it was frustrating.
Anyway, thanks for all the wonderful help, so appreciated.

Well done in sticking with it, correct it's nice to undo the old part first and take it with you, if you have an option for a local pickup

I am normally on a tight budget

So checking the price, availability, fitment for year and so on takes as long or longer than it does to do the job,

Back