Technical Handbrake position sensor wires

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake position sensor wires

Cian

Established member
I've replaced the head unit in my 100HP with a Pioneer that demands a handbrake position/status sensor input to lock out / enable most of its functions. I've managed to figure out wiring through the dash for the mic and the USB input cable for Android Auto but I really doubt the extra loom for the steering wheel controls and Blue&Me included handbrake status - and Google is totally failing me on where I might be able to tap this; as is the search here if anyone has done it before

Does anyone know where I could tap on to that?

Haynes publishes the wiring for the switch on the handbrake (43), but it is a ground signal sent to the body computer (7), so in my opinion, it is not a good idea to connect to same. The other indication of handbrake function is the light in the dash (45), which is not something to play with as apart from the outside air temp sensor (53), nothing is directly connected to the dash other than via data lines CAN BUS / SRS system.

instrument cluster.jpg

What I would do is use a magnetic reed switch, magnet on the handbrake and the reed switch on the floor of the car under the handbrake as the switch to indicate when the handbrake is in the off position OR, a spring levered microswitch mounted on the floor of the car under the handbrake to read when the handbrake is on / off depending on which two connections on the microswitch you use. As a result, you can send to your radio a +12v or a ground in either state without altering car OEM wiring.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

If I have to go that effort to detect the actual handbrake position, I'll just wire in ye-olde ebay defeat device instead as that'll be easier to do. Unit hasn't got a DVD player or any other video playback functions so the lockout is purely affecting pairing phones - it lets you reprogramme the clock when driving which even Fiat didn't let us do!

I've replaced the head unit in my 100HP with a Pioneer that demands a handbrake position/status sensor input to lock out / enable most of its functions. I've managed to figure out wiring through the dash for the mic and the USB input cable for Android Auto but I really doubt the extra loom for the steering wheel controls and Blue&Me included handbrake status - and Google is totally failing me on where I might be able to tap this; as is the search here if anyone has done it before

is it a green wire that needs to be connected to a handbrake ?

What model Pioneer, some of the the modern ones you can disable the handbrake via a hidden button sequence such as this one

some other just need the parking sensor wire connecting to ground

sorry but without a without a model i am guessing

Last edited:

Here is where pioneer is asking to connect to, if you want to have it work properly

Passenger side of the handbrake near the seat belt, under the console, single wire connector just pulls out

I doubt they would ask you to do this if there was any chance of blowing anything up, but it's at your own risk

My car isn't the 100HP so yours might be slightly different and RHD

Looks simple enough to feed it under the carpet, I poked a very long cable tie under but couldn't be arsed going any further, and feed some string through to pull a wire back, but looks possible, sorry

Depend on which head unit how bother I was about the car, and how I felt at the time, I might be temped to put a ring terminal on the end and bolt it to ground with or without a latching switch in between

The unit is a SPH-DA160DAB, it hasn't got quite the same software as the ones that are in those videos with the corner hold to get to the secret menu; the main difference is that there isn't a source off option, you either have a source up or the menu up.

It is a long green wire with a vampire tap insulation displacement connector on it

Great

SPH-DA1?? And SPH-DA2??

All seem to be able to be bypassed via just connecting the green wire to ground

I can see lower and higher models working this way just not the exact 160DAB

It should be connect to the pink wire I photographed earlier but seems pointless taking the lower gear selector trim off when any earth point seems to do the job

Thanks - is there an easily accessed ground point nearby?

Only ring terminals I have to hand are whopper 35A ones (from when I wired in the oven) that won't crimp on a wire that small, but I can get smaller ones easy enough.

Short answer I don't know as yours is a 100hp and LHD and all my cars are RHD and 1.2 or 1.1

You will have a proper earth points behind the plastic trim on the front door pillars

But Basicly any bolt through the bodywork is fine might have to scrape a bit of paint off, the metal frame that the dash screws to is also fine, The metal case of the unit itself will work, but make sure it does not stop it from sliding in

I have a nice convienet one to the left of the heater matrix but yours being LHD and climate control is likely to be different

We're RHD in Ireland too, the border would be a tad messy if we weren't!

I'll have a poke around tomorrow if there's daylight after I've been to get some ring terminals

Earthing against the head unit chassis was enough to pair the phone with Bluetooth and Android Auto. Electrical tape isn't enough to hold it against the chassis tight enough and there were no ring connectors in stock (other than more of the aforementioned 35A ones) in The Range last night, so I'll go to the proper factors tomorrow and do a permanent job in a while.

Needed to order a new fascia as the single-DIN-plus-a-CD-cubby one I had did not appreciate having its crossbar cut out with a junior hacksaw and needs replacing anyway, so I'll do it when that comes off ebay.

Earthing against the head unit chassis was enough to pair the phone with Bluetooth and Android Auto. Electrical tape isn't enough to hold it against the chassis tight enough and there were no ring connectors in stock (other than more of the aforementioned 35A ones) in The Range last night, so I'll go to the proper factors tomorrow and do a permanent job in a while.

Needed to order a new fascia as the single-DIN-plus-a-CD-cubby one I had did not appreciate having its crossbar cut out with a junior hacksaw and needs replacing anyway, so I'll do it when that comes off ebay.
Cool

Thanks for the update

It will help others that follow you down this path

Back