Technical Fiat panda 1.1 cam belt change (tensioning the cam belt after changing)

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat panda 1.1 cam belt change (tensioning the cam belt after changing)

Robjohnjones

Hello fellow Panda owners!

I've just purchased a 2004 fiat Panda 1.1

I've read the threads about changing the cam belt, watched some YouTube videos, and I have a manual (I'm planning on keeping the car)
I'm confidant with respects to changing the belt, water pump and tensioner pulley, the however I'm questioning what's written in the manual about the need to get the tension of the belt checked by a Fiat dealership after the job?
From my limited experience, tightening the belt so as it can just be turned through 90 degree once fitted has always been fine. I'm presuming that'd be the case with the Panda, however the manual has me second guessing myself.
Could anyone please clarify what the situation with this is? The YouTube tutorials I've watch dispensed with this tension check being done, is it really required?
Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi

I used circlip pliers on mine ( its just an eccentric washer..) took out all the slack and nipped the nut...

Thats how Ive done the 10 or so 1.1's in my time without an issue

(Only time ive had belt trouble was after I used dealer trained guys do a belt and waterpump..new pump failed )

Hi

I used circlip pliers on mine ( its just an eccentric washer..) took out all the slack and nipped the nut...

Thats how Ive done the 10 or so 1.1's in my time without an issue

(Only time ive had belt trouble was after I used dealer trained guys do a belt and waterpump..new pump failed )
Thanks, that's a big reassurance. That manual really had be doubting myself. No substitute for experience, you've also dissuaded me from having any work done by a dealership.

Thanks, that's a big reassurance. That manual really had be doubting myself. No substitute for experience, you've also dissuaded me from having any work done by a dealership.

To be fair.. they were good :)

It just failed and the belt jumped..54 weeks in use
Luckily the 1108cc were SAFE so just retime and away you go (y)

Fit the crank and cam locking tools. Remove old belt and tensioner. Replace water pump. Use a paint marker to mark the cam pulley top tooth against the fixed marker. Fit the belt and remove the cam lock. Note how tensioning pulls the wheel anti clockwise. Set the pulley one tooth clockwise. The correct belt tension will pull it back into the correct timing. You can remove the crank lock and turn the engine but timing should not change.

Fit the crank and cam locking tools. Remove old belt and tensioner. Replace water pump. Use a paint marker to mark the cam pulley top tooth against the fixed marker. Fit the belt and remove the cam lock. Note how tensioning pulls the wheel anti clockwise. Set the pulley one tooth clockwise. The correct belt tension will pull it back into the correct timing. You can remove the crank lock and turn the engine but timing should not change.
Do I need timing tool on a 2004? The YouTube tutorial showed timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley and engine casings. they used paint as well to make those marks look more clear. Sorry for any confusion, I am one of the great mass that are hard of understanding.
Totally new to the Panda, but liking it a lot.

You dont "need" the timing tools but they are not expensive and do make life easier.

I have a 1.4 and a 1.2 so have one of these. The advantage is you get crank and cam tools. You wont need the long sliding pins for the 1.1 or the 1.2. Others might know better options for the 1.1.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You dont "need" the timing tools but they are not expensive and do make life easier.
Ah okay, cool. Could you possibly send me a link to a set on eBay?

I'm all about making life easier.
****Edited****

is this one?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
There's 3 different engines fitted to the 1.1 panda

Up to engine 2533527

From engine 2533528

And evo2 the only one that uses locking tools. Yours at 2004 will not be an evo2

The up to / from engines use different parts and are trensioned differently

You need to know which you have as the parts and procedures are different

There's 3 different engines fitted to the 1.1 panda

Up to engine 2533527

From engine 2533528

And evo2 the only one that uses locking tools. Yours at 2004 will not be an evo2

The up to / from engines use different parts and are trensioned differently

You need to know which you have as the parts and procedures are different
Okay that's brilliant, I'll check my engine and find out which engine I have tomorrow. Can I ask for myself and generally for others that might read this thread, how the up to and from engines are both tensioned?
Would be brilliant to find my engine number and get back to you, would be super cool if you could please explain both so it's here to be found on a Google search for anyone.
Many thanks

Okay that's brilliant, I'll check my engine and find out which engine I have tomorrow. Can I ask for myself and generally for others that might read this thread, how the up to and from engines are both tensioned?
Would be brilliant to find my engine number and get back to you, would be super cool if you could please explain both so it's here to be found on a Google search for anyone.
Many thanks
Engine number

Standing in front of the engine

Left hand side, just above cylinder 1 exhaust branch. Unfortantly it will be under an aluminium heat shield unless someone has already left it off.

Engine number

Left hand side, just above cylinder 1 exhaust branch. Unfortantly it will be under an aluminium heat shield unless someone has already left it off.
Cheers man, that helps. I was going to have to Google that.

Should be on your V5C if you have received it yet
Sill waiting on it, only bought the car Wednesday. So far I've fixed that broken gearbox earth lead, freed up all the sticky door handles and changed the front discs and pads. MOT due soon so I'll be working through whatever is needed for that in the coming weeks.

It's very faint

Might need cleaning, a green scouring pad and meths, works well

If you are lucky there maybe some clear tape on top.

23525699-ABCA-4B28-8F5C-4F656A74CE71.jpeg

Engine number

I now see why unfortunately it will be under an aluminium heat shield, those bolts, or what's left of them are probably not coming out without angle grinding the heads off, which I don't want to do at this point in time.
I'll wait a few days for the V5C to show up in the post and get the engine number of that.
Cheers again, will reply to your post Re: which engine when I have it.

Back