DSC_0029.JPG

Cinquecento Emma's Turbo Progress Thread!

Introduction

Hey, as some of u may know my turbo cinq is in the middle of having an engine rebuild by my dad. This is the progress so far, and will add to this thread as things happen.

So far......
Port and poilsh and a bit of boring out nearly finished
foxyemx said:
More progress, pistons are now low compression with a dish and are actually thicker now than when Van Aaken did the originals, because Mahle has made a better strength piston than Fiat!(In my Dad opinion)

Also the block has been painted a nice blue colour :yum:

Any off topic points please pm me, rather than ruining my thread again! thankyou :)

emz

Lush colour... your engine bay is going to look awesome when you're done. Love your car (y)

stop hitting on her and pretending its because of her car ;) lol

looking good em :D will have a better look when i return your lights :eek:

foxyemx said:
Thinking about the EBC performance clutch, Aaron has it on his turbo cinq and says its good!

emz

I have been pondering clutches as well, and was thinking either one of the alcon ones or the omp one without the springs in the friction plate.

The pistons do look very good, and what Emma was trying to say :p is the crown thickness of the Mahle piston, even after machining a dish in them, is still thicker than the Fiat pistons that VAD used to make there hi-boost conversion, because all VAD did was machine the piston flat removing the dish, i.e. taking the edges off, but not going any lower than the dish bottom.

Yes i have the EBC uprated clutch which states its for cars producing 20% more power, yes I know the turbos are making double the power but the clutch is the same part number for the Punto 75 therefore 20% on 75 is near enough, tho i have to admit i can slip my clutch in 4 and 5th gears when cold if pressing the accelerator fully down in low speed situations as the torque builds, only for a sec but i still notice it.

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
The pistons do look very good, and what Emma was trying to say :p is the crown thickness of the Mahle piston, even after machining a dish in them, is still thicker than the Fiat pistons that VAD used to make there hi-boost conversion, because all VAD did was machine the piston flat removing the dish, i.e. taking the edges off, but not going any lower than the dish bottom.

Yes i have the EBC uprated clutch which states its for cars producing 20% more power, yes I know the turbos are making double the power but the clutch is the same part number for the Punto 75 therefore 20% on 75 is near enough, tho i have to admit i can slip my clutch in 4 and 5th gears when cold if pressing the accelerator fully down in low speed situations as the torque builds, only for a sec but i still notice it.

Aaron.

Thankyou for explaining it better, thats what i was trying to say :p

emx

Em,
Do you know to what tolerance the pistons are balanced to?
H

hmallett said:
Em,
Do you know to what tolerance the pistons are balanced to?
H

They are all balanced to within much closer tolerances than OE spec pistons, Mahle are a higher quality by far than OE when comparing them side by side, and I watched as the CC of the dish of each piston was individual measured, you don't get attention to detail like that from a normal engine builder. The conrods have also been checked as well.

Aaron.

Last edited:
badboyz016 said:
Hey Emz, the turbo cinq is coming along nicely! Will be great to see it when its done. :D

You dont feel like making me one do ya? :p :D

Yeah will be taking it to meets when its done, i'll also try and get to Ace Cafe meet!

Lol no not really, would cost alot of money to do a turbo conversion from scratch(n)

emz

Wow Emm, your motor is going to be a corker! Those pistons look very tasty.

All this piston talk reminds me of my old Metro Turbo motor'd Mini I owned that had Metro Turbo Challenge pistons in it - you could eat Cornflakes out of that dish! LOL!

Keep up the good work Emm and make sure it's ready for Stanford Hall so I can drool all over it.

foxyemx said:
Thanks K :D Its going to be very blue, silver and black i think!

emx

Cool...just don't go down the white wing mirror route hey ;)

Back