2A8ED6C3-A719-4B50-AABE-7C6BEB07C16A.jpeg

Barchetta Lefty’s B - Progress Topic

Introduction

As most will have seen in my newbie post, I have inherited a Barchetta when my brother passed away earlier in the year.

The car has been in storage for 10 year and I now have it back at my house with an intention to get it running and street legal by the summer

First weekend of work was more investigative, but then went in to a bit of cleaning.

I took the spark plugs out and the engine turns freely :)

Generally, the rust is minimal and mainly surface rust

All brake pads would have been in serious need of replacement, even if it hadn’t been in storage.

Fuel tank removed, about 1/2 gallon of fuel in it, but clean and no rust or debris.

My 26 year old son wanted to help, so, as the passenger seat was out, he wanted to clean up the interior as it was in serious need of some tlc.

Parts ordered from local car spares shop (trying to help the local business where I can)

Timing belt kit including water pump and pulleys
Auxiliary belt
Rocker cover gasket set
Front discs and pads
Read discs and pads
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs

Should all be with me during the week, so next weekend will be busy!

CC165F2D-57C2-42B1-B9A4-041839EBD257.jpeg
04221ADD-1E5C-4AD2-A739-1317C3C903BB.jpeg
B5EEBAC8-D86F-4FB7-9C62-99361E95E9C4.jpeg
D980F909-554B-4506-82F8-19E2C5AC4127.jpeg
5533D6F1-C230-41D5-9A65-5BF254AD1D8E.jpeg
It's such a shame that many marque forums have disappeared , due to lack of use .

Luckily FIAT forum , covering all models seems to keep busy enough .

Many of the Ford forums I used to be on have disappeared without trace .

Well forums are not old school IMHO. They are, when run and working correctly current school. Old school would be news groups.

Facebook, Twitter and other non forum based social online media are generally just gossip/chat columns.

For years I was not on Facebook but opened an account because of TWO specific reasons. A very small NZ private group for specific vehicle and another very small group for some users of a piece of software I wrote. With no offence to either of these Facebook groups I could just as easily totally go back to where I was when I was not on Facebook. This year I think I've looked at Facebook only 4 or 5 times.

Were Fiat Forum to go Facebook only then I would have to make a decision.

"Exit Stage Left" or "Exit Stage Right" :D

Last edited:
Do you ever wish you hadn’t started something?

So, today, the plan was 2 front shock absorbers & cv boots

Decided replacing all the cv boots was too much of a pain in the @%5£ job, so went for the quick glue up one

Wasn’t to bad, but found that I have it got the right tool for the ear clamps, so have temporarily used cable ties until the clamp tool gets delivered
Will see how the boot lasts with the glued seam and update in a few weeks

Both front shocks were really bad when I got them off, they were like a piston with no resistance in either direction, totally different from the new ones

Both fitted, was a challenge with some of the bolts really not wanting to come out, even though the nuts were removed and the bolts should just push out

But, both done and took the b for a quick test drive, no banging or noises, and much better over the speed ramps on my street

Wasn’t to bad, but found that I have it got the right tool for the ear clamps

Must be some synergy between Wiltshire and Essex. I changed my split steering gaiter just now and couldn't find any angle that I could get pliers in to tighten the clip. Managed to get it on pretty tight with fingers (the grip from those rock climbing years is useful for something) but I am wondering whether to get one of those remote action clamp tools - that or a jubilee clip.

Well Lefty it sounds/looks like you are getting there slowly.

I'm pleased / relieved that the universal CV boot would have appeared to work for you and substantially reduced the aggravation and time. That said you must check it in a 100 to 200 miles to check all the glued seems are still intact.

Whilst universal boots may seem a "cop out" sometimes, like with your struts, springs, .... and CV boots then you have to tackle the major items first with new, patch up other items semi-professionally (e.g. universal CV boot) and then come back to tackle those "cop out" items as required. Often those cop-out items outlast the car or your ownership.

Anyway great news that you are making good progress and thank you for the ongoing reports/updates.

Must be some synergy between Wiltshire and Essex. I changed my split steering gaiter just now and couldn't find any angle that I could get pliers in to tighten the clip. Managed to get it on pretty tight with fingers (the grip from those rock climbing years is useful for something) but I am wondering whether to get one of those remote action clamp tools - that or a jubilee clip.

I didn’t have the space for a jubilee clip as the ABS sensor is too close.

Have ordered a tool from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEEDWOX-Standard-Pincers-Crimping-Vanadium/dp/B08HH2BF2M

Well Lefty it sounds/looks like you are getting there slowly.

I'm pleased / relieved that the universal CV boot would have appeared to work for you and substantially reduced the aggravation and time. That said you must check it in a 100 to 200 miles to check all the glued seems are still intact.

Whilst universal boots may seem a "cop out" sometimes, like with your struts, springs, .... and CV boots then you have to tackle the major items first with new, patch up other items semi-professionally (e.g. universal CV boot) and then come back to tackle those "cop out" items as required. Often those cop-out items outlast the car or your ownership.

Anyway great news that you are making good progress and thank you for the ongoing reports/updates.

The best news is that it is now street legal, so I can drive it

The bad news is that the weather here has been really bad recently, so not had much chance to drive it

I want to take it somewhere with a decent bit of scenery and take some good pictures of it somewhere other than on my driveway

Now please do not take offence.

Wife has her "B" (which I also drive) and when we see other open top NON Italian cars we say TART! but NEVER EVER to a "B" driver. But your Mazda Head Hoops and skirts (I've never seen a "B" with skirts) are tempting me to say tart (note the lower case and no exclamation) :)

No, joking aside your "B" is looking very good and cool. I'm really pleased you have got her back on the road where she should be and now you have the legal time and space to address all those items that you want to.

Well done to you. (you tart) :)

Last edited:
Now please do not take offence.

Wife has her "B" (which I also drive) and when we see other open top NON Italian cars we say TART! but NEVER EVER to a "B" driver. But your Mazda Head Hoops and skirts (I've never seen a "B" with skirts) are tempting me to say tart (note the lower case and no exclamation) :)

No, joking aside your "B" is looking very good and cool. I'm really pleased you have got her back on the road where she should be and now you have the legal time and space to address all those items that you want to.

Well done to you. (you tart) :)

No offence taken.

Please remember that I am an accidental owner of this b and anything non standard was the choice of my brother.

It once had a full kit including front spoiler, but, he broke that years ago going too fast over a speed ramp!

C53813E6-072D-4D8E-B2AA-B21C2B167E8B.jpeg

With that coming off, it has left a load of black mastic which held it on there which is going to be a total nightmare to get off, but, I will do it some time.

1B568579-6933-4797-BD9D-DE9D101722DF.jpeg

Personally, I do not like the rear spoiler, it also has a crack in it. However, I haven’t looked at what will be there if I take it off as there may be mounting holes.

The skirts I don’t think look too bad, but, on their own will look stupid, so am likely to also look at how they are fitted. If they too are on with black mastic, they might stay on there!

Thanks, I've used a similar site here. I think they are basically all Autodoc
That made me smile. Yes, you google for a part. Find several hits for suppliers whose sites, on inspection, all look very similar, so you pick one.

Then, on that site there's a huge list of manufacturers for the part whose pictures all look the same, those that don't are out of stock.

I suspect there is just one rack of Barchetta parts somewhere in Germany behind all of this facade of choice.

:)

After a lot of deliberation, I have now decided to sell my Barchetta

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306258921625

Thank you to everybody who has helped me with this over the last 2 years or so

Last edited:
Back