Ebay - Been done over

Currently reading:
Ebay - Been done over

I know i make a lot of topics regarding mates knocking people off bikes etc etc...but the advice i get here is probably better than anywhere else!

Anyway,

my parents recently sold an item via ebay (august time) of value £80, but for some reason they didnt choose to send it tracked.

The buyer paid instantly, however, within a few days they insisted they had not recieved the item.

Inevitably, ebay were contacted and as a result, my parents were forced to refund the product - it was a bit more than that but just to the point.

However, yesterday, 3 months following the sale, the buyer left feedback containing just ":)".

I thought at first it was just a lesson learnt and should always send tracked, but now I just think they've been well and truly done over! (why would they just put ":)" after sending numerous emails outlining how annoyed they were)

If anyone has any advice of any sort, feel free to share, if not, then let this be a lesson to anyone who wishes to send untracked!!

Sam

Last edited:
Standard mail & recorded carries cover of up to £49
however you may find RM refuse your claim for sending an item too expensive for the service used
you wont know unless you claim,assuming its not on the items not covered.
An £80 item should only be sent Special Delivery if using RM,or a courier with suffieicent cover

Haha i dont think were the only ones. Just looked at their feedback and theyve posted things such as "thank you for the quick refund" on several occasions.

All the signs are there that they may have recieved it, yeah things go missing in the post but it was a large item, in a huge box. Weird. Nothing can be done as said above though. Tracking is definately a must!

thats the problem with ebay great for the buyer in terms of protection but total bend over for the seller if you get a dodgey un

Not really.
I bought a dashcam from china, cost under £40.
It didn't arrive.
I started PP dispute.
Seller contacted me, just before PP settled, asking me to check RM as their tracking service said it was delivered.
I replied saying the number wasn't even on the RM system so therefore hadn't hit the UK.
They apologised & said they had given me the wrong tracking number.
The new number WAS on the RM system & had been delivered on a Saturday morning (so I would have been home - laundry day)
PP accepted this & found in seller's favour.
The signature on the RM website is legible & the name is nothing like any I know, RM office don't recognise it either.
PP refuse to re-look at the claim.
I told PP it was strange how the old tracking number didn't exist on RM, then all of a sudden we get a new number which DOES exist and WAS delivered. How other items (more recently) only take 7 days, this one took almost 2 months.
But PP won't budge - I have no camera and no cash.:cry:
Oh, and because it's all dragged out so long, I can't even leave feedback on ebay.

This is exactly why I refuse to use eBay, too many people out to scam, it seems fraud is just something people do these days without even considering that these types of thing are a crime.

Personally if I were you I would point out this buyer is frequently claiming refunds by is own admission on feed back and ask eBay to investigate, if they refuse then I would report it to the police in the hope that he gets investigated, what ever the case it's unlikely you will see anything back unless you can prove beyond all shadow of a doubt that some kind of fraud has been committed.

What we should really all do is stop using eBay and especially PayPal, which has to be the biggest scam in the history of the Internet. Most stuff is available on other sites now like amazon so the only reason to use eBay is for what it was originally designed for auctions for second hand stuff that's not easy to come by

I have of 930 positive feed back on ebay and probably have bought a lot more items on top of that no feed back was left for. In that time any problems I've had with sellers have been resolved promptly with PayPal and in all fairness I haven't had many considering. I've ordered a lot of electronics stuff from China and have to admit their service has always been a bit hit and miss. I usually keep on top of them but quite often they send me stuff by DHL if I start hassling them if it hasn't turned up in 30 days. Then it turns up within 3 LOL. I always use PayPal for everything and always open a dispute before the opportunity runs out if I haven't received something.

Recently I sold a few items for the first time, now that was a completely different experience...

Even though I was clever with the listing giving myself almost forever for them to receive it and offering no warranty etc. it was still a royal pain and I'm in no hurry to do it again. I sent my items tracked, all the items I receive seem to come tracked now too. This is just the reality of the world we live in someone's always looking for a free lunch. I've still got stuff boxed up here that was never payed for and in order to close the cases I had to relinquish my right to leave feedback.

PayPal have saved me more times off ebay than on it. They have refunded me for a useless FK order and various other fairly high value purchases.

I will never forget the time I lost £500+ on a set of shocks for my Hilux after the company selling them went into administration. I used a debit card, bad mistake!

So I will continue to use PayPal and ebay no doubt. I think the only thing that went a miss here is the lack of tracking. Trust no one, check their feedback before making a sale or purchase and be vigilant.

thats the problem with ebay great for the buyer in terms of protection but
total bend over for the seller if you get a dodgey un

Couldn't agree more!

thanks for the replies all!

sorry no reply from me, leisure lounge is blocked at work as 'nudity'!

guess they've just lost out then, the scammer (or someone who has spotted the loophole) has got away with it.

after looking at their feedback though, there are 5 cases of 'thanks for the quick refund' :S seems weird to me.

i've brought and sold allsorts on ebay :)

The buying is 10x easier

But everytime i sent a parcel it always went recorded unless i was willing to say right okay - if the parcel is ""lost"" by royal mail then its gone and i'll take the hit

I've sent a Nitro Engine Halfway across the world without tracking - wouldnt do that again in a hurry

Ziggy

Back