Did you know.....

Currently reading:
Did you know.....

I think it all depends on the size of the bird to be honest,, And if its Frozen :D

There was one railway Loco maker abroad that bought a "bird Cannon" off a Uk safety company for batch testing train windows, The idea was to load a humanly killed chicken/pheasant and fire it into a train windscreen using a compressed air system..

To cut a long story short all the tests they run resulted in a failure... Turns out they where using frozen birds from the local supermarket and didn't thaw them out prior to firing :D

then again it could be worse it could be something much bigger

Last edited:
I think just because you didnt suffer any damage it doesnt follow that anyone else will.....far too many variables. I have had a screen cracked by a bird and had headlamps taken out on two occasions at speeds well below 70 over the years.

depends which way the bird was flying - it could have been going the opposite way at 40:)rolleyes:) meaning you hit it at 55mph....

or it could have been flying towards you at 40, in which case you hit it at 135mph....

and also depends what size it was... if sparrow sized, then no big deal, but if it was a crow... then im impressed

EDIT: like said above, far too many variables

Last edited:
the next door neighbours to where my friend lives, he was driving along in his car and a bird flew into the gap between the bonnet and the light (i think it was on an alfa), and it pushed the light or the bonnet out of shape and it had to be repaired.

i was only about 8 at the time on the way to flamingo land i didnt understand what was going on :D

There was one railway Loco maker abroad that bought a "bird Cannon" off a Uk safety company for batch testing train windows, The idea was to load a humanly killed chicken/pheasant and fire it into a train windscreen using a compressed air system.

Ive heard something like that...

The aeroengine industry use chicken cannons to project frozen birds (to represent varying weights and flock sizes of bird) into gas turbine engines to check for birdstrike survivability.

Ive seen a fair few vids of the tests and theyre quite amusing - as the bird is propelled inside a polystryene shell that breaks up upon leaving the cannon, then the bird becomes catfood :D

The story Ive heard claims that the birds were fired through the train's windscreen - and were breaching the windscreen at the opposite end as the chickens were frozen and they should have been defrosted

that video never ceases to amaze me how calm and collected the pilot/co-pilot and ground control staff are! amazing(y)

I think it all depends on the size of the bird to be honest,, And if its Frozen :D

There was one railway Loco maker abroad that bought a "bird Cannon" off a Uk safety company for batch testing train windows, The idea was to load a humanly killed chicken/pheasant and fire it into a train windscreen using a compressed air system..

To cut a long story short all the tests they run resulted in a failure... Turns out they where using frozen birds from the local supermarket and didn't thaw them out prior to firing :D

then again it could be worse it could be something much bigger

YouTube - Deer crash

im sure i would have fouled my undergarments if i was driving that van

not really.

becasuewhen i crashed my car, the tree branch came through the windscreen at one side and smashed into the seat, and the drivers side spiderwebbed but luckily didnt come in otherwise i could have been more injured. thank god for laminated glass (y)

the glass also didnt really actually crack around where the branch came in, it just created a hole (a few inches across), but it only cracked on the other side :rolleyes:

not really.

becasuewhen i crashed my car, the tree branch came through the windscreen at one side and smashed into the seat, and the drivers side spiderwebbed but luckily didnt come in otherwise i could have been more injured. thank god for laminated glass (y)

the glass also didnt really actually crack around where the branch came in, it just created a hole (a few inches across), but it only cracked on the other side :rolleyes:

Yes count yourself lucky theres beardy looking fellows smoking pipes thinking of this stuff :worship:

Back