17717052334_1044bd2216_b.jpg

900 Bluebell the 900e Amigo

Introduction

We have just taken on the ownership of this camper from Kelly and Karl and hope to have it on the road within the next six months.
17717052334_1044bd2216_b.jpgDSC_6177 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Not only is it a really lovely vehicle, it was also a pleasure to buy it from such a genuine and really nice couple. There was a huge amount of interest in the sale and I am really appreciative that I was favoured to be the buyer ; so many thanks Karl.:)
18335728502_1005bcd374_b.jpgDSC_6176 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
There is a certain amount of essential welding to do underneath, which will add to the welding that has been done in the past. It is currently pretty solid underneath but not as pretty as it could be. I hope to tidy as I go and then work around the bodywork. This has signs of a lot of filler and there is rust poking through in places, but it looks like we will be able to get using it soon.
There are a number of mechanical issue but nothing too onerous and it starts and runs really well.
So a rolling restoration to usable standards.
I just need to get the roof open now!
Watch this space as I document my progress.
Hi Peter,
I'll double check Connie's set up when I get a dry day (she is still outside in all weathers).
I'm not sure what carb version I have fitted on my 900T... it's not the original.
I don't recall seeing an additional fuel overflow drain pipe - if there is one I'll make sure it's not a fire risk.

Oddly, when I fitted the upgraded electronic distributor it has a connector for vacuum advance but there isn't anywhere to connect it - so the instructions recommended taping it up to stop muck getting into the dizzy.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have them.

Cheers
Gary

Thanks Gary. I checked the two spare distributors that I have and neither has vacuum advance; I'll have to blank the carb spigot.
Whilst I was there I came across an old master cylinder that came with the van. It was quite a job to dismantle and needs an oddball selction of new seals if I am to make it work; I can't find a kit online at any price. As most 850/900 people know, new cylinders cost around £300, although the basic one for the non dual-circuit brakes is only £25. I'm still checking out other possibilities, including the one for the Fiat 238 van and various choices for Fiat 600's and Zastava 750's. I've read that the Fiat X19 can be made to fit. If anyone has any experience of any of this I would appreciate the feedback even if you're reading this months after I'm writing it. The easiest option I can think of just now is to fit the single-circuit version as all of the van's brake system is going to be replaced anyway. The problem with that is that I'm not sure if it would be proportionate to the front calipers as it may have been intended for drum-brakes all round.

20230109_150956.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently working my way through a brake overhaul on my 850t to include an x1/9 master.
The biggest issue is the placement of the outlets as they are level with the bottom of the steering box.
I think i'll have to angle the cylinder down and use banjo connectors if I can find them.
This may leave the cylinder end sticking out under the van a little so the under tray will also need altered.

It will of course require new mounting holes but my out rigger needes extensive repairs anyway so its not a big deal.

I've got calipers to go on the front and I might fit calipers at the back as well so it's all a work in progress at the moment.

Lots of welding to do before then

I'm currently working my way through a brake overhaul on my 850t to include an x1/9 master.
The biggest issue is the placement of the outlets as they are level with the bottom of the steering box.
I think i'll have to angle the cylinder down and use banjo connectors if I can find them.
This may leave the cylinder end sticking out under the van a little so the under tray will also need altered.

It will of course require new mounting holes but my out rigger needes extensive repairs anyway so its not a big deal.

I've got calipers to go on the front and I might fit calipers at the back as well so it's all a work in progress at the moment.

Lots of welding to do before then
Thankyou for that. I was hoping that it would be easier than that, but after what I've done to the van already, that will not be too much of a challenge. Better this than the cost of the correct cylinder or bodging up with randomly sourced seals.
I'll get under the van on Thursday and try to figure it out.

I've heard rumours of a simple mod to git the x1/9 but I haven't been able to find anything more than that.
I can't see an easier way as the mounts are no where near each other.

I can tell you that on the 850t that box section has a strengthening plate behind the pedal mount but the actual captive nuts the master bolts too were similar to rivnuts.

I've been busy with other things all week but managed to obtain a spare fuel filler flap from Slovenia as I lost the closure spring and there is no other way to get one.
But I did look into the carburettor spacer that has puzzled me and decided that its design possibly does away with the need for the tray that goes under the carb. I'm ready to put the pieces back together and first I flattened the mating surfaces on some oiled wet or dry paper on a sheet of glass.

20230115_165742.jpg

20230115_165730.jpg

Hi Peter,
I'll double check Connie's set up when I get a dry day (she is still outside in all weathers).
I'm not sure what carb version I have fitted on my 900T... it's not the original.
I don't recall seeing an additional fuel overflow drain pipe - if there is one I'll make sure it's not a fire risk.

Oddly, when I fitted the upgraded electronic distributor it has a connector for vacuum advance but there isn't anywhere to connect it - so the instructions recommended taping it up to stop muck getting into the dizzy.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have them.

Cheers
Gary
Hi Peter,
Apologies for the delay, not been able to get on to the van for a while.
Comparing your carb to the one I have fitted it looks like we have the same version... even the casting number (22) is the same.

If you compare the two, it looks like there is a brass nut/screw plug missing from yours (when viewed from the radiator side).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Gary

Attachments

• Carb - exhaust side.jpg
    Carb - exhaust side.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Carb - rad side.jpg
    Carb - rad side.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
It's taken a while as I still have a substantial amount of de rusting and welding ongoing, but here is the final location mock up for the x1/9 master.
It's not as tight a fit as I'd feared and standard pipe ends will work.

I hope you're passed this part and have figured this out but if not maybe this helps

Attachments

• 20230810_160357.jpg
    20230810_160357.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
It's taken a while as I still have a substantial amount of de rusting and welding ongoing, but here is the final location mock up for the x1/9 master.
It's not as tight a fit as I'd feared and standard pipe ends will work.

I hope you're passed this part and have figured this out but if not maybe this helps

If only I had passed this part! That guidance will be really useful when I do. Thank you.

Back