What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

I'd love to take long walks, I used to when the only way he'd nap was in the back of the car or in the pram. But I'd also happily walk alone before he was around.

But obviously he's older now...so er yeah I need to run to fit it into the available time :ROFLMAO:

For me it's just time away from screens and the house that would be why I do it, though the fitness benefits are nice.

Back when we had light nights I'd do 10k twice a week in the evenings just for an hour so with my earphones in and not worrying about anyone but myself for a bit. Also you usually see some deer (did today actually) maybe some red kites, squirrels, foxes, rabbits etc. It's just a good wind down.

Its a pizza themed Advent Calendar.. :)

But.. if there is food behind the doors..

It'll be pretty rank ;)

Were I a full Scotsman I would probably support independence, but I'm not and I am a passionate unionist. I love the differences between our nations. It makes us much richer. My Dad and grandads were lucky to have Scottish, Irish and Welshmen fighting by their sides in two awful wars and I know who's side I'd rather be on too! I hope we remain one country even with the national differences. I hope too that we get a decent leader and government that makes steps to keep us together rather than ever driving us part!

If we ever part, whatever will we do for jokes?sad n

An Englishman went into a pub...... and sat in the corner on his own.

Its just can't end there. Its sad, boring and just not funny!

It’s the little things that make me smile and also bucks the spirits, especially during this pandemic. Our log stove is on most mornings now, and I like to chop the firewood logs that are a bit too large, I look up and see the smoke coming out of our chimney, :) I look around and see other chimneys smoking :) It just gives me a warm glow inside, I feel like Bert out of Mary Poppins :D looking at all those smoke tops.......:chin:

Little things that make you smile. I was just watching the TV where the regulatory body representatives are giving a presentation about their passing of the vaccine for use. I was walking into the room with my plate of porridge, trying not to spill the milk, as they were introducing themselves. I picked up that their regulatory body was the NHRA - What? I thought: https://www.nhra.com/nhra

Then I realized it's actually the MHRA - DOH! https://www.ideagen.com/thought-leadership/blog/what-is-mhra-and-what-does-it-do

Little things that make you smile. I was just watching the TV where the regulatory body representatives are giving a presentation about their passing of the vaccine for use. I was walking into the room with my plate of porridge, trying not to spill the milk, as they were introducing themselves. I picked up that their regulatory body was the NHRA - What? I thought: https://www.nhra.com/nhra

Then I realized it's actually the MHRA - DOH! https://www.ideagen.com/thought-leadership/blog/what-is-mhra-and-what-does-it-do

Heheh - that's slightly like dyslexia.

I only discovered I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat.

(joking aside, dyslexia isn't funny if you're a sufferer - both my brother and an old friend are dyslexic and it makes some aspects of life a real struggle for them. I myself have dyscalculia, a numbers dyslexia and have struggled with maths all my life - how and why I ever got into aircraft engineering is an utter mystery :confused:)

Got my DS back today to drive until they order the part in. They're ordering it from DS direct, and it'll need to be colour matched. Apparently they had to buy a new machine that could diagnose it?!

But the smile came as I got talking to a Citroen Master Technician on Facebook. He said he fixes the same problem every week and its never been faulty wiring, just one sensor knocking the system off. And once replaced they're usually fine. So that's reassuring to know!

Was awoken, with a start, very early this morning - must have been around 4.30? and lying there, dozily trying to understand what had woken me there was, suddenly, the most incredible crash of thunder I've ever heard! It was a really violent experience. I got up and drew the curtains. The gutters were running with water like a pipe had burst. I've got a leak in my conservatory roof which only leaks when the wind drives the rain against the back of the building so I went downstairs to check but there was no leaking as the wind was blowing the other way! As I want to go back upstairs there was another almighty thunder clap.

Apparently to the south side of the city and out into Midlothian, where my boys live, there has been some serious snow but with us being so near the sea it was just torrential rain. Mrs J was not too happy, she's frightened of thunder - which has always puzzled me as in other respects she's a stronger and more robust person than me - so she was under the blankets and wouldn't come out!

I see it's made the BBC news this morning - the thunder that is, not Mrs J hiding under the blankets - and they are calling it "Thunder Snow". That's a new one on me.

Weather here is raining very hard, miserably cold, so it’s indoors today. Decided to bake a small Christmas cake. 2LB loaf tin. Loads of fruit sweet spices and of course laced with dark rum, soaked the fruit in the alcohol overnight. When the cake comes out of the oven I’ll pierce it all over and add more rum to soak in. :D

Any other budding cooks on here? I do like messing about in the kitchen, for me it’s the satisfying feeling. :)

Car is back, I swear the heater motor has been broken since I picked it up in 2014, never been this quiet in it's life..

Mechanic was saying it's the second one he's done this week the other was 2016 BMW which had failed entirely so had no heating at all.

Last edited:
Any other budding cooks on here? I do like messing about in the kitchen, for me it’s the satisfying feeling. :)

I like my curries Jim. Probably around 30, maybe 35 years ago, when my career path started veering away from the technical and mechanical aspects of the motor trade and I was getting more involved with training and assessing people with industrial injuries and then more towards people with learning difficulties then ultimately to spending my last 15 years working for Enable, I worked for a while assisting our occupational psychologist by administering tests and assessments and reporting the results back to him. As you might imagine we became quite friendly and it wasn't long before I discovered he was a curry fanatic.

I'd always enjoyed eating curries but never tried making one from scratch and when he discovered that he took me down Leith Walk one Saturday afternoon, to all the little Asian food shops, and I bought a basic stock of spices. Then I bought Pat Chapmans Curry Bible and The Complete Book Of Indian Cooking (a massive thick book much like one of those DIY "bibles" which tell you how to fix "everything" - bought from one of those book shops which sell books no-one really wants) and I started experimenting. One of my greatest successes, so Mrs J tells me, is a Mulligatawny soup which I've modified from one of Mr Chapman's recipes. Unfortunately I've neglected to keep the spices refreshed due to the last few years which have been quite difficult with family illness etc but just the other day my daughter in law (she of the Honda Jazz) was lamenting that she hadn't had one of my curries in quite some time - so I am resolved, once I've had my covid jags, to take a trip down "The Walk" (and memory lane) and stock up a fresh spice library and get back into my curries.

I also do a very nice wee Bruschetta with chopped cherry tomatoes. We often have it as our Saturday evening meal. Mrs J says I do it much better than her but I think that's just so she can watch Strictly in peace whilst I'm in the kitchen!

Back